Letter in the West

redned

Letter in the West

Postby redned » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:20 pm

I see a letter in the West today, commenting on cyclists in the hills says (inter alia):
"I'm sure the road code says that, if your vehicle can't go the speed limit, then you should pull over if there are others behind waiting"
Remarkable that he put that in a letter to the editor without actually checking.

Thoglette

Re: Letter in the West

Postby Thoglette » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:28 pm

redned wrote:Remarkable that he put that in a letter to the editor without actually checking.
Unremarkable that the editor published the letter without actually checking.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

chalkie

Postby chalkie » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:28 pm

I always thought that the number on the sign was a limit not a target.

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:29 pm

Always selling papers - the West hit their target (market) fair and square

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:23 am

If it's not a target, why is it in a circle? ;)
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:17 am

Sadly old mate probably believes it to be true. "You must get out of my way" is merely a variation on the imagined road rule that "you must give way to me"
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:37 pm

Part of the problem is that this is actually a road rule in some (overseas) jurisdictions, notably the UK Highway Code:
UK Highway Code wrote:Rule 169
Do not hold up a long queue of traffic, especially if you are driving a large or slow-moving vehicle. Check your mirrors frequently, and if necessary, pull in where it is safe and let traffic pass.
People hear the UK road rule mentioned on TV while watching Top Gear and take it on-board because it is something they want to happen without taking a moment to think and realise that the road rules vary from location to location. Despite the full text of the WA Road Traffic Code being easily available on-line people will continue to argue that the rules are what they think they are without ever referring to the actual rules or quoting an individual rule number.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:52 pm

Yet another reason to dislike Jeremy Clarkson
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:47 pm

The Highway Code is just a 'code'.
It is not law. A bit like the "Drive Safe Handbook" here.

trailgumby

Re:

Postby trailgumby » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:23 pm

HappyHumber wrote:Yet another reason to dislike Jeremy Clarkson
Was there ever a reason to like him?

ramp

Postby ramp » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:09 pm

Most of us will outlive The West, doubt I will mourn it. The letter is probably a reaction to the one meter campaign which I reckon is flawed on 2 counts.
Just because a cyclist might be a B level celebrity a driver should take extra care. I feel a school kid from up the road, my nana or even me might be worth respecting too
When did it become ok to overtake in the lane? When I pass a bike, a horse, a tractor, a car, a bus or even a fire truck I use my indicator and when safe move into the adjacent lane to pass. Cyclists have made a problem by accomodating cars. Riding 2 up is good form but it really shouldn't matter if it is 3 or 4, just stay in the lane.
The meter matters campaign promotes overtaking in the same lane and that bothers me.

redned

Postby redned » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:33 pm

ramp wrote:Most of us will outlive The West, doubt I will mourn it. The letter is probably a reaction to the one meter campaign which I reckon is flawed on 2 counts.
Just because a cyclist might be a B level celebrity a driver should take extra care. I feel a school kid from up the road, my nana or even me might be worth respecting too
Absolutely
ramp wrote:When did it become ok to overtake in the lane? When I pass a bike, a horse, a tractor, a car, a bus or even a fire truck I use my indicator and when safe move into the adjacent lane to pass.
It is not always possible. My suburban streets don't have marked lanes and some local connector roads have traffic separators.
ramp wrote:Cyclists have made a problem by accommodating cars. Riding 2 up is good form but it really shouldn't matter if it is 3 or 4, just stay in the lane.
Except more than 2 contravenes the RTC
ramp wrote:The meter matters campaign promotes overtaking in the same lane and that bothers me.
I sort of agree because it implies that only a metre is enough. But "No overtaking unless safe to do so" is open to interpretation. Some drivers appear to think that less than a metre is safe. "A metre matters" tries to quantify a minimum level of "safe". If drivers accepted that "safe" meant "really, really, safe", it wouldn't be an issue.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:00 pm

ramp wrote:The meter matters campaign promotes overtaking in the same lane
Ah, horsepucky!, to put it politely.

Even more politely: exactly where and how does the campaign do this?

Finally, I'd rather have those lazy and.or self righteous ****holes who currently don't change lane actually try to leave a metre, rather than putting their mirror within arm's reach. As happens daily
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:52 pm

Maybe we should put bumpers on our bicycles so we can attach bumper stickers that say something like;

"If you're within the reach of my hammer, then you're not making a meter matter."

Then we could be just as belligerent as some of the drivers we encounter.

Most drivers do try to give a safe space though. Many will even wait patiently to pass.

Getting upset over one idiot isn't worth it - just respond to the editor abusing the reader in question, saying how idiots like him need to be dragged from his car and beaten with a cycle pump and you'll get a suitable response published.

Just make sure, if they come around and photo you for the story, that you have a reasonable size bicycle pump with associated bludgeon attachments - One of those dinky little lightweight pumps is just going to result in ridicule.

wexford

Postby wexford » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:18 am

cj7hawk wrote:Just make sure, if they come around and photo you for the story, that you have a reasonable size bicycle pump with associated bludgeon attachments - One of those dinky little lightweight pumps is just going to result in ridicule.
You'd be surprised where one of those pumps will fit.

Or perhaps not... :shock:

StevOz

Postby StevOz » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:32 pm

Maybe just carry the billy club in place of the pump?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HX9b84OJVM

Or perhaps not... :shock:

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:52 am

ramp wrote:
The meter matters campaign promotes overtaking in the same lane and that bothers me.
It does not. I think you are allowed to ride 1.5 metres out from the curb, add the 1 metre passing distance, and in most cases that means the car will move into the other lane.

I find it useful to do a tiny swerve when I hear a car coming up behind me in the suburbs, creates the impression of insecurity and tends to increase the overtaking distance.... (might also be because of what I wear or not when I ride a bicycle :D )
Support high quality cycling advocacy!