DoT Updates PSP Program through to 2021/22- Planning to Fail

Scott_C

DoT Updates PSP Program through to 2021/22- Planning to Fail

Postby Scott_C » Tue May 02, 2017 2:18 pm

Browsing the list of cycling publications on the DoT site I noticed the PSP Program had been updated, allegedly including all projects with construction funded until 2021/22.

Compared to the 2018/19 version of the Program there have been the following additions:
* Addition of Freo PSP Victoria St to North Freo Station by Dec 2020.
* Northlink WA extended to Muchea.

The following have also disappeared:
* Roe 8 (to be expected).
* Northlink WA connection to Ellenbrook (expect it is just delayed until the train line goes in).
* Duplication of Mitchell Fwy PSP to the East between Cedric St and Greenwood Station.

If the Program is complete and accurate it leaves 18 months between the finish of the Program and the 2023 end date for the priority projects from the WABN Plan including:
* Grade separation of Kwinana Fwy PSP at Cranford Ave.
* Armadale line PSP Goodwood Parade, Rutland Ave and Lacey St to Williams St.
* Midland PSP through to Roe Hwy.
* Mitchell Fwy PSP Hutton to Powis plus any missing grade separated crossings.

Given that the 3 years from 2018/19 to 2021/22 has resulted in 1 additional planned project being funded it seems ludicrous to suggest that they will deliver all of these complicated projects in the 18 months available between the end of the program and the planned delivery date.

On the positive side I have reason to believe that the DoT Program is not complete as ToVP has been funded to build and design some of the missing parts of the Armadale line PSP and that isn't reflected on the Program. It is pretty sad though when the point of hope is that they are incompetent and have missed projects that are in progress from their plan.

Anyway, as predicted in the Auditor General's report, DoT's inability to plan and budget does look like it will prevent them from delivering the WABN Plan on time.

MoabBoy

Re: DoT Updates PSP Program through to 2021/22- Planning to Fail

Postby MoabBoy » Wed May 03, 2017 3:25 pm

I'm interested in knowing exactly in what they "completed" for the PSP between Karrinyup Rd and Erindale Rd. The surface has barely been touched apart from some very bodgy attempts to smooth over some of the larger bumps. They have also recently painted white reflective lines on the edges of the path and that's it.

With regards to the PSP at Civic Pl changing. They have recently added a bus lane along Cedric St and closed the old path crossing leading to Telford Place. You now have to ride through Civic Pl Gardens and cross at the lights. It will be interesting to see what the permanent arrangement is when the bus lane opens.

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Wed May 03, 2017 4:37 pm

MoabBoy wrote:

With regards to the PSP at Civic Pl changing. They have recently added a bus lane along Cedric St and closed the old path crossing leading to Telford Place. You now have to ride through Civic Pl Gardens and cross at the lights. It will be interesting to see what the permanent arrangement is when the bus lane opens.
You will get your old crossing back with traffic lights to assist :wink: . Holdup is permits to move 1 powerdome

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Wed May 03, 2017 6:59 pm

NASHIE wrote:
MoabBoy wrote: With regards to the PSP at Civic Pl changing. They have recently added a bus lane along Cedric St and closed the old path crossing leading to Telford Place. You now have to ride through Civic Pl Gardens and cross at the lights. It will be interesting to see what the permanent arrangement is when the bus lane opens.
You will get your old crossing back with traffic lights to assist :wink: . Holdup is permits to move 1 powerdome
As I understand it, it is 'mostly' the old crossing back as the 30 degree angle on the path across the median has been changed to 2 90 degree turns (left on entering the median, right on exiting the median, forcing you to look toward on-coming traffic) and the traffic lights have included all the classic design blunders of a 'cyclist' crossing designed by people who don't understand cyclists including traffic light poles installed in the middle of the paths alongside Cedric St (particularly an issue on the North-West side of the crossing where the Northbound side of the PSP is blocked by a traffic light pole just as the Southbound cyclists are being attracted towards the middle of the path to reach the crossing buttons) and push buttons in the medians located on the right hand side of the path, putting Northbound and Southbound cyclists on a collision course as they are both drawn to the wrong side of the path (Push buttons at the carriageway edges are on the left hand side so you can't even avoid a conflict by making the whole area keep right, you are forced into conflicting movements within the crossing). The only thing they got right is that they included cyclist lanterns so you can legally ride across.

I am basing these comments on the design so it is possible that someone on site has half a brain and has fixed some of these issues but if you are in the area and the traffic light poles have been installed I would recommend going down for a look and trying to get a complaint in before the work is finished so that there is a chance they could fix the issues before opening a dangerous crossing.

It isn't my local area but if someone can confirm the poles are in I can pass by on Monday and confirm that they have built according to the dangerous design and put in a complaint myself.

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Wed May 03, 2017 7:35 pm

Scott_C wrote:
NASHIE wrote:
MoabBoy wrote: With regards to the PSP at Civic Pl changing. They have recently added a bus lane along Cedric St and closed the old path crossing leading to Telford Place. You now have to ride through Civic Pl Gardens and cross at the lights. It will be interesting to see what the permanent arrangement is when the bus lane opens.
As I understand it, it is 'mostly' the old crossing back as the 30 degree angle on the path across the median has been changed to 2 90 degree turns (left on entering the median, right on exiting the median, forcing you to look toward on-coming traffic) and the traffic lights have included all the classic design blunders of a 'cyclist' crossing designed by people who don't understand cyclists including traffic light poles installed in the middle of the paths alongside Cedric St (particularly an issue on the North-West side of the crossing where the Northbound side of the PSP is blocked by a traffic light pole just as the Southbound cyclists are being attracted towards the middle of the path to reach the crossing buttons) and push buttons in the medians located on the right hand side of the path, putting Northbound and Southbound cyclists on a collision course as they are both drawn to the wrong side of the path (Push buttons at the carriageway edges are on the left hand side so you can't even avoid a conflict by making the whole area keep right, you are forced into conflicting movements within the crossing). The only thing they got right is that they included cyclist lanterns so you can legally ride across.

I am basing these comments on the design so it is possible that someone on site has half a brain and has fixed some of these issues but if you are in the area and the traffic light poles have been installed I would recommend going down for a look and trying to get a complaint in before the work is finished so that there is a chance they could fix the issues before opening a dangerous crossing.

It isn't my local area but if someone can confirm the poles are in I can pass by on Monday and confirm that they have built according to the dangerous design and put in a complaint myself.
You need to contact MRD design department with your issues. Contractors on site build to a design which in theory meets 'all' the design criteria involved in pole/latern locations that suit vehicles, buses, peds and cyclists. Not necessarily disagreeing with you, but MRD design dept are the boys you need to run your concerns by.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu May 04, 2017 1:19 pm

Scott_C wrote:
NASHIE wrote:

That sounds absolutely disastrous and comes about mainly from a disconnect between those who do the civil design and those who do the signal design. Signal designers don't GAF about anything other than are their poles/lanterns/pits in the right spot - and this is generally done after the civil design (location of kerb ramps, width of paths etc.) are all determined so there is limited desire from anyone involved to make adjustments.

To try and arrest these continuing problems all we can do as members of the public is complain and question things like - was a Road Safety Audit done on the design and if so, why weren't these issues picked up and addressed? Ongoing public pressure on these bad outcomes will hopefully result in approval authorities pushing back on designs that don't deal with these (wishful thinking?).

From your description it sounds like the design is for a 'staged crossing' which reduces the red time for vehicles at the expense of all the dangerous elements for vulnerable road users described above. The zig-zag alignment through the median is a standard element of staged crossings to reduce the probability of a rider going straight through against the lights.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sun May 07, 2017 9:15 pm

Stopped off to have a look at the new Cedric crossing, and traffic light poles haven't been installed. The original ramp on the north side has been relocated several metres west. My guess is our journey will be:
Heading south towards Perth - right turn (similar to what it was) over to the middle section, turn left on middle section and continue for several metres on middle section, turn right over the last two lanes to join up with the "PSP"
Heading north - straight across two lanes of traffic (similar to what it was), turn left on middle section and continue several metres on middle section, turn right over the last two lanes,and turn left to join up with the "PSP"

Unclear if we will have to press the button and at each crossing. Or if there is enough room on the middle section to allow turning bikes in both directions - for example I'm pretty sure our tandem will struggle to make these turns.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Mon May 08, 2017 11:25 am

rolandp wrote:Unclear if we will have to press the button and at each crossing.
These types of crossings are supposed to be automatically programmed so that if you press the button the south side, it will go green with a few seconds delay before the north side crossing also goes green. If you have to push the button twice then Main Roads have failed (what's new?)
rolandp wrote:Or if there is enough room on the middle section to allow turning bikes in both directions - for example I'm pretty sure our tandem will struggle to make these turns.
A good photo opportunity to illustrate the new Minister a complete failure of the design. Even better if you can get a mum with her kids in a trailer trying to negotiate it.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Mon May 08, 2017 2:53 pm

I stopped by this morning and, while the poles aren't up, they have done the trenching to their locations so you can see where they are meant to be. At the end of this trench is the traffic light pole in the NW corner of the crossing (smack bang in the Westbound lane of the PSP).

I have written to PTA querying if they will be extending the path into the garden bed to give a minimum safe width past the pole. Currently I'd estimate that the safe width of the path would be about 90cm to be shared by both directions of traffic.

Edit: PTA's Cycling Co-ordinator got back to me and they have organised a site visit tomorrow with the PTA Project Manager and City of Stirling. It looks like we might have managed to get infront of this one so that it can be fixed before it is opened.

MoabBoy

Postby MoabBoy » Thu May 11, 2017 12:35 pm

Scott_C wrote:I stopped by this morning and, while the poles aren't up
They are up now. Saw them this morning. Will take a closer look on the way home.

Just what we need, more lights. Really want to see under/overpasses along the PSP.