Kalamunda Hills - WA

Mas

Kalamunda Hills - WA

Postby Mas » Sun May 14, 2017 6:29 pm

WA riders,
For the first time, I am planning to ride the Kalamunda hills. I am sort of a low-med strong rider:)
I am planning to start from Guildford and take Kalamunda Rd, Mundaring Weir Rd and return via Great Eastern hwy.
Any advice on route and also best time re traffic? weekdays/weekends?
Thanks,
Masoud

NASHIE

Re: Kalamunda Hills - WA

Postby NASHIE » Sun May 14, 2017 7:07 pm

Mas wrote:WA riders,
For the first time, I am planning to ride the Kalamunda hills. I am sort of a low-med strong rider:)
I am planning to start from Guildford and take Kalamunda Rd, Mundaring Weir Rd and return via Great Eastern hwy.
Any advice on route and also best time re traffic? weekdays/weekends?
I would do it midday if on a weekday to miss peak hour etc, or a Sunday. Used to be a regular ride for me but tend to give it a miss these days. FWIW i would head out to Pickering brook via canning road first, there are a some good loops (patterson road, walnut etc) then head home via zig zag etc. Or keep heading out Canning Road through Karragullen, Gardiner road, Mcness Dr to Canning dam. Great roads, scenery and a little quieter than Mundaring loop :wink:

Mas

Postby Mas » Sun May 14, 2017 7:39 pm

Thanks Nashie for the info. I checked the map and obviously your suggested route is a lot more interesting and safer. Thanks again.
Thanks,
Masoud

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Sun May 14, 2017 7:50 pm

If and when you do Mundaring loop best to use Thomas Road instead of GEHW which runs parallel just to the south.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun May 14, 2017 10:42 pm

G'Day Mas

Think I'll slide this one over to the West Aus section, you'll likely get more hits there.

Cheers
Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

billy70

Postby billy70 » Mon May 15, 2017 6:33 am

Good information from Nashie, plus you can add in Gooseberry hill for a bit of fun :wink:

I would highlight that Kalamunda Rd itself is generally pretty busy with cars traveling at relatively high speeds. Greenmount is worse.

There are also various groups that do Hills runs over the weekend, using a range of routes. Lots of people ride out there on a Sunday but I always feel more reassured in a group.

Mas

Postby Mas » Mon May 15, 2017 9:13 am

Thanks Nashie, Shaun and Billy. Very helpful.
Shaun, I didn't know about WA section! will check it out.
Thanks,
Masoud