99 Bikes opening a store in Joondalup

Mububban

99 Bikes opening a store in Joondalup

Postby Mububban » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:55 pm

Thanks to Facebook's stalking algorithms, it showed me an ad for the grand opening of 99 Bikes' new Joondalup store, on August 31st (late night shopping open til 8pm).
20% off lots of stuff.

Bike brands they carry include Cube, Merida, GT, Norco, Lapierre and Apollo. Also Mongoose in the kids bikes.

http://www.99bikes.com.au/joondalup-perth-bike-shop

Anyone got any experience with them as a company?
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

RonK

Re: 99 Bikes opening a store in Joondalup

Postby RonK » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:41 pm

Big Brisbane chain. Owned by Graham 'Scroo' Turner, a keen mountain biker and also owner of Flight Centre.

I have bought a few bits and pieces from one of the local stores. Prices were reasonable and service quite good.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Rol08

Postby Rol08 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:57 am

Yes, In January I looked in their Melbourne store.
They did a free bike fit & trial ride on a Merida 5000.
I was leaving to return back to Perth that night, but was impressed enough
to find a supplier back here. Very competitive prices & if you join their club you qualify for further discounts.
Cheers,
Rolan

owly

Postby owly » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:52 pm

I hope they get some good staff.

Had a couple of awful experiences at the Brissy ones. Never forget the one in town; the guy said I was wasting his time not purchasing a bike, after he briefly set me up on one for fit. Never went back.

Can only remember one really good staffed one .
MUFC :twisted:

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:27 pm

I've also had the experience of overly aggressive sales staff ... but I put it down to the individual and perhaps a consequence of chain store ethics (any place like that, its probably wiser to go in having researched things with a clear idea of what you are after rather than walk in depending on their advice)..... that said, the prices can be competitive ....
Go!Run!GAH!

billy70

Postby billy70 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:45 am

I've had good experiences with the Brissie CBD store, perhaps it just depends on the store person.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:55 am

Cheesewheel wrote:I've also had the experience of overly aggressive sales staff ... but I put it down to the individual and perhaps a consequence of chain store ethics (any place like that, its probably wiser to go in having researched things with a clear idea of what you are after rather than walk in depending on their advice)..... that said, the prices can be competitive ....
99 Bikes staff get the same sales training as Flight Centre staff. They also participate in the rewards. Most people have heard of Flight Centre Global Gathering, where they book out several whole flights and a hotel and staff who acheive their sales targets qualify for an invite to a 3-day booze bash. So it would not be surprising if some sales staff were a little pushy (see what I did? :)). A friend who worked for 99 Bikes as a bike mechanic qualified for Global twice.
It's a pretty amazing place to work. I spent several months there as a consultant to the IT department. Any Monday morning the office lunch room would be littered with dead marines from Friday night's booze-up. Several Friday evenings I left for home and found a bar had been set up and a party was raging in the lift. Another time at Xmas a slippery slide was set up in the office, and one of the employees ended up in hospital.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:34 pm

RonK wrote:Another time at Xmas a slippery slide was set up in the office, and one of the employees ended up in hospital.
LOL sure thats not Wee Man (Jackass movies)

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:10 am

If you search Facebook for an event called “99 Bikes Joondalup Opening Sale” you’ll find the link for a $20 voucher, plus there’s 20% off lots of items from August 31 to September 10.

I’ll probably pop down and get some bits and pieces on the weekend.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:21 pm

I popped in on Saturday. Mostly Merida bikes and they looked to be selling quite a few (gotta love a sale). Decent range of all sorts of bikes, good assortment of helmets. Minimal clothing, decent array of spare bits and pieces.
I did see one guy getting sized up for a basic bike fit with a standing measurement device.

I got my daughter some new gloves, some Endura knicks for myself, a tool bottle and bottle holder, pedal wrench, some basic flat MTB pedals, spare tube, yada yada yada....had about $40 worth of discount.