Planning a Kep Track epic - need some trail advice

paul85

Planning a Kep Track epic - need some trail advice

Postby paul85 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:03 pm

I am planning to ride from roughly the Maylands Station to Northam with the intention of following the Kep, in the next couple of weeks.

Researching tail maps and the internet I am coming up a bit short of information on a way to/from the Mundaring terminus back to the railway trail (not using the Kep section). I can see a loop trail but it appears closed?

My intention is to use the Railway Heritage Trail north to either go up or comeback not sure yet. I am considering north side going west (back home) as I find the south a struggle going either way for some reason.

Any recommendations would be great.

HappyHumber

Re: Planning a Kep Track epic - need some trail advice

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:45 pm

Maybe I've done the Heritage loop too many times; but the trail is fairly obvious heading east from the Mundaring Sculpture Park. Essentially the Heritage Trail loop and the Kep overlap between Mundaring & Mt Helena. The Kep continues eastward (turn right) from Mt Helena, and the Heritage Trail Loop westwards (turn left).

Follow the trail signs to Mt Helena essentially from the terminus at Mundaring. The turn can be a little confusing, but just remember - keep roughly parallel to the pipeline.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:53 pm

I did the Heritage Trail Loop yesterday, all sections were open.

Unless you have a strong need to go via Mundaring, I would stick to the northern heritage trail which goes through John Forrest and joins up with the Kep trail at Mount Helena.

If you do want to go to Mundaring, do this on the return trip, as I find it easier to do the Heritage Trail clockwise.

Enjoy the Kep, I last did it three months ago on a tandem.

paul85

Postby paul85 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:52 pm

rolandp wrote:I did the Heritage Trail Loop yesterday, all sections were open.

Unless you have a strong need to go via Mundaring, I would stick to the northern heritage trail which goes through John Forrest and joins up with the Kep trail at Mount Helena.

If you do want to go to Mundaring, do this on the return trip, as I find it easier to do the Heritage Trail clockwise.

Enjoy the Kep, I last did it three months ago on a tandem.

Essentially what was thinking, its just getting back out from the start of the trail at the Mundaring end back to heritage trail will just climb back up the 8km looking at the maps, I think the old loop trail has been closed for a few years from what I can tell

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:16 pm

Paul, are you referring to Mundaring Weir, rather than Mundaring? If so, there is a trail that basically follows the Helena River, and you can work you way back up nearer Bellivelle/Midland. Personally, if you are doing the Kep track both ways in one day including leaving from Maylands, I would avoid going to Mundaring Weir.

Otherwise, yes it is a really good 8km ride down to the Weir, and the slow ride back up the hill.

paul85

Postby paul85 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:51 pm

I should have been clearer there I do mean the Weir.

paul85

Postby paul85 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:05 pm

rolandp wrote:Paul, are you referring to Mundaring Weir, rather than Mundaring? If so, there is a trail that basically follows the Helena River, and you can work you way back up nearer Bellivelle/Midland. Personally, if you are doing the Kep track both ways in one day including leaving from Maylands, I would avoid going to Mundaring Weir.

Otherwise, yes it is a really good 8km ride down to the Weir, and the slow ride back up the hill.

Besides the climb out and exhaustion, is there any specific reasons to avoid going to the Weir?

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:52 pm

paul85 wrote:Besides the climb out and exhaustion, is there any specific reasons to avoid going to the Weir?
Nope. On the plus, you can have a cold one at the weir hotel.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:30 am

rolandp wrote:
paul85 wrote:Besides the climb out and exhaustion, is there any specific reasons to avoid going to the Weir?
Nope. On the plus, you can have a cold one at the weir hotel.
Bah... Have a coldie instead at the Mundaring (Town) Pub just adjacent the Sculpture park; or my more personal fave; the Mt Helena Tav. quite close to the Kep/Heritage Trail junction I described earlier.
--

paul85

Postby paul85 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:20 am

I think I will check out the Helena River, Rolandp's suggestion, the trail looks to connect to Victor Rd on the Pipe Head/Connector, then cut back to the Railway Trail via some unnamed trails looking at TrailForks.

owly

Postby owly » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:51 pm

^ Indeed, it does. Nice ride along/above the river. A bit rough in places.

Been along there a few times, then either back up left to Mundaring, or up and right to Kalamunda, following some other mtb tracks.
MUFC :twisted:

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:16 pm

Can confirm the Victor Road / Helena Valley Route to the Weir Head. Not a sanctioned trail, but you come across runners and walkers on it a like. More undulating elevation gain into the Range
--