Yaberoo Badjara Heritage Trail - Joondalup to Yanchep

HappyHumber

Re: Yaberoo Badjara Heritage Trail - Joondalup to Yanchep

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:55 pm

So close, yet so far... Zooming in along Tobermory looks like there's a purpose built fence built along the back of the residences and even the little nub/cul-de-sac ends. I suppose it's open on the Eastern / Wanneroo side. :?

Where the trail crosses Romeo Road to the North looks a bit closer than Hester to the south. Just curious about traversing the wastelands shown in the current Google Satellite images; how recent they are or whether there's a new sea of McMansions or pre-fab concrete retail palaces
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:44 am

I took a look on Nearmaps. It looks like Romeo Rd is being extended all the way through & is currently packed sub-base (dirt road).
It may be temporarily fenced off outside of work ours, but they are't usually to difficult to get through.
It could be worth a try.

Inspectorgadget

Postby Inspectorgadget » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:20 pm

I did a very short part of the track from Burns Beach Rd to Neerabup road just to the top of the first hill.
It is easy enough to ride at night but I decided that the bush is so lovely through there it seems a waste to just stare at the track lit up ahead. It was safe enough though I thought and not another soul around so extra precautions like telling someone where you are would be a good idea.

Inspectorgadget

Postby Inspectorgadget » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:21 pm

I went out last night starting in Woodvale and went from Burns Beach to Neerabup Road at night on my own. I have to admit I did enjoy it and I'm getting used to it now.

I didn't see another person the whole time.

If anyone is interested in a night ride let me know. Company is good. I let my wife know where I am with texts just in case a tree or kangaroo jumps out in front of me.

I ordered a Fenix BC30R bike light so that has to be tested out thoroughly of course when it arrives....:)

Grant

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:57 pm

I'd be interested in a night ride, IG. Quite used to nocturnal sojourns on the MTB up around Mundaring/JFNP I wouldn't do it at night for the first time not being familiar with the trail; but if I'm with someone who is - for sure.

PM incoming
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Inspectorgadget

Postby Inspectorgadget » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:45 pm

Yup tested out the Fenix BC30R 2017 Edition. A very impressive light indeed. Medium is enough for seeing on trails at any reasonable speed although I found maximum (not boost) of 1000 Lumens is even better especially on this track. I have been using my Led Lenser H14R.2 as well, handlebar mounted with 460 Lumens and six hour runtime it dovetails nicely with this light on medium which boasts 4:30 hrs on the LED for 400 Lumens on Medium or 1:50 hrs on 1000 Lumens.

I get a good beam up close around corners which is great on the track and a good distance. I also like the neutral rather than cold LED (on the Lenser) which I think is slightly superior overall although LED colour is probably not a big deal.

Next week I should get my Led Lenser XEO 19R which puts out 2000 Lumens for 4 hours. I will retire the H14R.2 to use as a headlamp for walking, working on stuff and household duties. I have had it for 4 years.

If anyone does want to ride with me I do have an electric MTB which might be an issue for some but my next step is to park up at Burns Beach Road and go to Romeo Road which is quite a long way and so far I have only done this by day. Romeo Road is 14.2 km each way or 28.4 km in total from Burns Beach, a fair way even on an electric bike, there are also from memory road tunnels at Neerabup and again at Hester Road and each is a good ride termination point depending on how fit you are. The whole track is 25 x 2 k return, 50km which is a long way, several hours for an old guy like me on an electric bike but doable. A young and fit cyclist could probably manage it OK.

I have done to Neerabup Road several times at night so far but it is 33km from home in Woodvale.

pedalmonkey

Postby pedalmonkey » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:12 pm

Thanks to everyone on this thread for bringing this excellent trail to my attention. I loved it and found it very easy to follow.

I rode the whole thing last weekend, up and back. Return trip was on the road, via Old Yanchep Rd. I seemed to remember Old Yanchep Rd being nicer, winding through the Wanneroo market gardens. Not so much. Lots of logged pine plantations which are now a haven for dirtbikers and four-wheelers. The road also passes via Barbagallo Speedway where the bogans go on the weekends to let off steam. The ride was safe enough, but not particularly pleasant.

Now that they allow camping in Yanchep NP, next time I think I'll ride up with the panniers on, stay overnight (visit the koalas as they wake up to play at night) then ride back the next morning either via the YB trail or along the coast which is a great ride too particularly once you can get off Marmion Ave near Mindarie.

Hugor

Postby Hugor » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:34 pm

I've actually been planning looping back round on Old Yanchep Rd as you did on my next visit.
Whats the traffic like, shoulder etc. Would you do it again or double back and return along the trail?

pedalmonkey

Postby pedalmonkey » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:01 pm

It was mostly quiet. Occasional hoons on motorbikes or V8s flying past but all left me plenty of space. There's not really a shoulder until you rejoin Joondalup Dve but it's quiet enough that it doesn't matter too much. I was riding it around 1.30pm - 3pm too, so it shouldn't get much busier.

I was pretty knackered after riding up and back and the trail would be even harder, but fitness permitting, next time I'd either do the trail both ways or ride back along the coast which I think is an extra 5-7km or so. And assuming of course the seabreeze wasn't blowing.

Inspectorgadget

Postby Inspectorgadget » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:03 am

I ran into some bikers on the track last night. They did the ride from BB to Romeo Road, 30k return, a pretty good effort and with no electric motor for them uphill bits...:)

One of the guys got his first ticket for parking on the concrete about 2 weeks ago after parking there for four years without a ticket. I said it was my fault and I would pay half and he laughed...

$80 evidently.

Beautiful ride at night, I'm into it now. Very few people out and in Winter evening is a lot warmer than morning. It is also a lot warmer than around Lake Joondalup where all the cold air settles.

We did think some warning signs might be a good idea regarding parking on the concrete as the 'path' goes nowhere. It would be helpful to be able to park there.

G

Inspectorgadget

Postby Inspectorgadget » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:46 am

It has been a pleasure having this track so close to home to use at my leisure.

Another good place to park is opposite on Blue Mountain Drive, some good spots on gravel verge facing towards the track near the intersection with BB and under a street light.

I tested the Led Lenser XEO 19R too on the track, a few times now. I wear it on my helmet and the power pack is threaded through my belt. Awesome, even on 1000 Lumens between the two lights it is plenty and each light can be focussed. It will last for 8 hours at this rate. If I boost it to 2000 Lumens it seems to stay on that for as long as I want (not 30 seconds like for some lights) and it is rated to last 4 hours.

Amazing light and it comes with handlebar mounts (which I tested and work well), a Go-Pro mount, Headband for use as Headlamp. A case with belt loop for power pack and also a separate belt clip as well. It comes with everything and check the link, good price for such a light. I use the Fenix BC30R as a backup light on the handlebars. A great light in it's own right as well.

The lights can also be adjusted together or individually and you can even turn one off, you have focussing levers on each light.

https://www.wildearth.com.au/buy/led-le ... n/ZL7219RG

Must do a full review on this.

Edit: Done. In Gear review section.

Inspectorgadget

Postby Inspectorgadget » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:30 am

I fanally did the whole track today.

Forget the bit north of Reinhold Place north of Romeo Road and onwards to Lacey Road. Up until a bit after Reinhold Road it is a prepared trail. It then degenerates into a fire trial most of the way to Lacey Road in Yanchep, a 4WD track heavily rutted, rough and strewn with rocks. It is also noisy as it runs close to Wanneroo Road. It isn’t too bad on a mountain bike with decent suspension but from now on I will probably terminate my rides at Romeo Road. Up until then it is a great trail and a lot of fun, very scenic and is far enough away from main roads to be quiet.

Hugor

Postby Hugor » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:13 am

I agree with you the track between Romeo Rd and Yanchep NP is horrible. I’m looking for an alternative either by road or track. It’s actually pretty nice again once you enter Yanchep NP.

It looks like you can almost get there by road on the eastern side of Waneroo Rd. Otherwise there appears to be some double track heading north just west of all the buildings. This might be nicer.

We need a reccy mission or someone with some local knowledge.

Inspectorgadget

Postby Inspectorgadget » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:02 pm

Hugor wrote:I agree with you the track between Romeo Rd and Yanchep NP is horrible. I’m looking for an alternative either by road or track. It’s actually pretty nice again once you enter Yanchep NP.

It looks like you can almost get there by road on the eastern side of Waneroo Rd. Otherwise there appears to be some double track heading north just west of all the buildings. This might be nicer.

We need a reccy mission or someone with some local knowledge.
I realised too that I missed the final section north of Lacey Road. I might put the bike in the boot and go up to Lacey Road and do that bit.

It isn't safe to mix bikes with traffic, lots get killed every year but that isn't a great stretch of fire trail. It puts me off a bit although I might do it again. It is quite doable just a bit of a rough stretch.

Inspectorgadget

Postby Inspectorgadget » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:55 pm

I went up to Lacey Road and parked up and did the stretch to Yanchep Visitor Center and pub and then around the road past Crystal cave, about 15.5k return.

The track there is very nice and interesting but a few hairpin turns and short but quite steep hills on which care must be taken, day or night. Nice stretch though.

owly

Postby owly » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:55 pm

Nice pic. Would love to take my gravel bike up there, but too far north for me.

Your comment about taking care on the bends reminded me when I went over the bars and flew down a drop-off into a pile of reeds at Lake Walyungup recently on a hairpin. Good times :mrgreen:
MUFC :twisted:

Inspectorgadget

Postby Inspectorgadget » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:32 pm

owly wrote:Nice pic. Would love to take my gravel bike up there, but too far north for me.

Your comment about taking care on the bends reminded me when I went over the bars and flew down a drop-off into a pile of reeds at Lake Walyungup recently on a hairpin. Good times :mrgreen:
I'm new to MTB and have a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres on the bike for puncture (double gee trouble free) resistance. I have no tyre gauge for presta valves and I have just ordered one online. I suspect my tyre pressures are too high so I might take it down to the bike shop to get it measured. I have asked them before to order a pressure gauge for me but they just don't carry them, they are all pump mounted. I just want a nice digital one I can carry with me.

I just let a bit of pressure out the front tyre. Experiment a bit.

It is a beautiful track. There is one bit from Romeo Road to Lacey Road that isn't quite so nice but even that really isn't bad but you would get hammered on a gravel bike with no front suspension. You would probably just piss blood for a few days afterwards...

G

Hugor

Postby Hugor » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:32 pm

Inspectorgadget wrote: you would get hammered on a gravel bike with no front suspension. You would probably just piss blood for a few days afterwards...

G
That certainly was my experience on my gravel bike equiped with 40cc tyres, hence my search for a detour around this bit.
The rest of the track is perfectly suited to a gravel bike.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:28 pm

Inspectorgadget wrote:I suspect my tyre pressures are too high so I might take it down to the bike shop to get it measured....

G
The Kalamunda trail riders I've spoken to recommend well under 30psi for both tyres. Even with tubes, guys riding 27.5" tyres are using around 23psi front and 25psi rear. Sometimes lower, depending on rider weight.

I've done the same on my 26" tyres and it's MUCH better. I originally went riding with maybe 35psi+ and I was bouncing all over the place :shock:
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

gsxrboy

Postby gsxrboy » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:58 pm

Inspectorgadget wrote:I have asked them before to order a pressure gauge for me but they just don't carry them, they are all pump mounted. I just want a nice digital one I can carry with me.
Heya, do yourself a favour and grab a Topeak digital gauge. No matter where you go, or whose pump you use, this way you'll always get a consistent reading at your end. Ebay or c r c etc are your buying friend.

Around $40.

https://www.topeak.com/global/en/produc ... rtgauge-d2

Opps, I just noticed you ordered on online already, missed that bit..

Inspectorgadget

Postby Inspectorgadget » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:23 pm

Mububban wrote:
Inspectorgadget wrote:I suspect my tyre pressures are too high so I might take it down to the bike shop to get it measured....

G
The Kalamunda trail riders I've spoken to recommend well under 30psi for both tyres. Even with tubes, guys riding 27.5" tyres are using around 23psi front and 25psi rear. Sometimes lower, depending on rider weight.

I've done the same on my 26" tyres and it's MUCH better. I originally went riding with maybe 35psi+ and I was bouncing all over the place :shock:
The local bike shop didn’t stock pressure gauges for so long I finally ordered one online, the Schwalbe Airmax Pro. I found out today that they did get them in at the start of March, but I had asked several times prior to this with no luck. Amazing.
Equally amazingly stupid, I thought relying on the feel of the tyre would work but after letting out a little bit of air they did seem underinflated. Well, I rode the bike in to the shop and got them to test the pressures, 12 psi in the front and 16 psi in the rear. It could have been an over the handlebar learning experience but wasn’t. I put 29 in the front and 32 in the rear but I will experiment once I get the gauge. I suppose though it does show you can go quite low in pressures and get away with it, it seems.

It seems like everyone has a different opinion on pressures and tube versus tubeless. I think it is a matter of seeing what works on the trail.

The new Manager then said mmm your forks seem underinflated too he guessed 60 – 80 psi. I bought an expensive pump which I did need of course for my Rock Shox and they were 40 psi, way underinflated so I pumped them up to 120 psi.
A very bad day or very good day depending on how you look at it. I am suitably chastened and feel stupid but haven’t broken any bones…this is good.

He then suggested a 2.35-inch tubeless front tyre but after everything was done I took it for a good thrash in the park a bit of gravel, sand and grass and some hills. The Schwalbe Marathon Plus were fine, but I get it, a wider front, maybe tubeless would give more grip on steep gravel hills like on the trip between Lacey Road and the Yanchep Pub…

!! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! I spent enough money today on the air shock pump, a shocking price. If I had anticipated some of these issues I could have saved money and ordered online.

Inspectorgadget

Postby Inspectorgadget » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:48 pm

I finally did the whole track today, both ways from BB road to Yanchep visitor centre, a bit under three hours and 55.94km with 6km left on the battery in 'tour' mode the second lowest setting and down to the last bar of five on the meter. I road a combination of lowest 'Eco' mode and at times splashing out in turbo mode on the way back. The meter is great for working out ranges and economising where needed.

I don't wear gloves and got a blister on my right hand so gloves are on the shopping list. The part of the track which is a fire trail road north of Romeo road, I enjoyed a lot more this time. Yes, not a good stretch for a bike with poor or no suspension but the Scott bike with the Rock Shox on the front handled it well, maybe better now that I had the pressures correct. I just let the bike roll down the steep parts and held on, no problem. Uphill some steep bits but easy with an e-bike, challenging otherwise but just very short steep bits.

I also saw a black emu, about a metre high. I think it was black as it was a juvenile but it is the first time I have seen one near Perth.

I had everything setup correctly on the bike this time. Forks 110psi. I changed the front Schwalbe Marathon Plus to a Maxxis Minion DHR 2 27.5 x 2.3 and left the Marathon on the rear. The front was inflated to 2.3 bar with a Slim brand sealant tube fitted and on the back was the Marathon also about 2.3 bar.

I found the tyre combo worked very well indeed, the new Minion did stabilise the front while the rear worked well enough but may will also get replaced at some point by another Minion as I am doing off road trails. The Marathon is an excellent general purpose tyre and it certainly worked well enough today as a rear tyre. The big advantage of a Marathon on the rear is simply the wear factor, they should last a long time even on an electric bike. The only bad thing with a Marathon tyre is getting them on and off the bike. It is a mission.

Anyway, great track, difficult enough in parts to be interesting but generally not risky or dangerous if reasonable care is taken.

Inspectorgadget

Postby Inspectorgadget » Sun May 13, 2018 12:29 pm

Wow, wonderful night last night on this track and I saw just one cyclist before dark fell on the track between Burns Beach and Romeo Road 31k return. It was still in the mid to high twenties even after dark, started at 5pm and got back just after 6:30 pm. Wonderful...just perfect weather too with a maximum of 32.7C making daytime cycling just a bit too hot. Weird at this time of year.

If anyone wants to join me for a ride PM me. I don't need company but I like company...:)

Grant

owly

Postby owly » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:30 pm

Went for a ride today up to the Burns Beach Rd start to check it out. Rode up to Romeo Rd.

Some nice twisty downhill towards the start which I liked. Though you've got to keep your eyes open for riders coming from the other way.

Once I exited Romeo Rd, I wasn't sure if the main drag heading north would have a main road somewhere where I could head south again along the coast, so I headed back to Wanneroo Rd then found my way back along the coast home.

Nice day out there.

owly

Postby owly » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:07 pm

Lovely day out there today. If the winds are right tomorrow, I'm heading back up there; this time up to Pippidinny Rd to check out the park.

That westerly forecast after lunch better not turn south like last time!!

Edit: Did it again, this time including that stretch between Romeo and Pippidinny Rd. As mentioned, its very rough. Give it a miss.

Tiger? snakes starting to come out. Saw a couple; almost going straight over the top of one.

On the return home along the coast, the wind stayed fairly westerly, so that was good. Beautiful weather.