Yaberoo Badjara Heritage Trail - Joondalup to Yanchep

Inspectorgadget

Yaberoo Badjara Heritage Trail - Joondalup to Yanchep

Postby Inspectorgadget » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:03 pm

This looks like an interesting trail for mountain bikes and they have made it suitable for mountain bikes.

http://www.wanneroo.wa.gov.au/info/2005 ... tage_trail

If anyone knows anything about it let me know...it is evidently a beauty. It would need an early morning start on a cool day to do it but it looks really interesting and would be great for us living in the northern suburbs.

HappyHumber

Re: Yaberoo Badjara Heritage Trail - Joondalup to Yanchep

Postby HappyHumber » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:07 pm

The link provided and the map/info brochure linked in turn from there only refer to it as a walking trail ?

Are people likely to get stroppy if you're out there on two wheels vs. two legs ?
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:38 pm

I've only used it a couple of times, but there are more bikes on it than walkers.

There are a few "punchy climbs" as one rider put it, near the north end.

It's mostly hard packed, with only a hand full of Sandy bits.

Inspectorgadget

Postby Inspectorgadget » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:53 pm

No, any trail is open to bikes but they have specifically laid limestone on some sections to make it easy for mountain bikes rather than having to negotiate soft sand.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:58 pm

Community Newspapers reported in November 2016 that the trail was being upgraded for mountain bikes so that suggests bikes are okay.

I walked it quite a few years ago and it was not well marked then. Sounds like it is much improved now. Might head up there next week for an out and back ride on the Salsa Mukluk.

MTB Trackspotting has a GPS track for the trail as well. Looks like it is not complete.

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:03 pm

Aushiker wrote: MTB Trackspotting has a GPS track for the trail as well. Looks like it is not complete.
Try this https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26656080

It's from my last out & back ride.

Inspectorgadget

Postby Inspectorgadget » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:13 pm

Aushiker wrote:Community Newspapers reported in November 2016 that the trail was being upgraded for mountain bikes so that suggests bikes are okay.

I walked it quite a few years ago and it was not well marked then. Sounds like it is much improved now. Might head up there next week for an out and back ride on the Salsa Mukluk.

MTB Trackspotting has a GPS track for the trail as well. Looks like it is not complete.
Salsa Mukluk. Salsa is a sauce and a Mukluk is an Eskimo boot...

paul85

Postby paul85 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:01 am

I will have to check that one out and report back, pretty sure I can ride it from home using the psp :D

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:14 am

I've done the southern section several times. Haven't made it to Yanchep though.

I would agree with the earlier comment, there are more bikes than peds using the path, when I've used it.

Inspectorgadget

Postby Inspectorgadget » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:32 am

rolandp wrote:I've done the southern section several times. Haven't made it to Yanchep though.

I would agree with the earlier comment, there are more bikes than peds using the path, when I've used it.
No water might limit the appeal to walkers. I had a quick glance at the first bit from Burns Beach Road. It looks like a full on road, dirt or limestone. If I wake up early enough tomorrow I might do a quick reccie riding from Woodvale on my Scott e-Aspect 720. It would have enough battery to maybe do the whole track return.

Inspectorgadget

Postby Inspectorgadget » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:43 pm

Well after making every mistake possible, I finally did some of the track. If you have a car you get off at Burns Beach from the freeway and park on the shoulder on the north side. You will see cars there parked on the weekend. You can lift your bike over the locked gates or the bicycle/pedestrian swing gate. If you use the locked gate DO NOT go straight up like I did. It is rough 4WD track to a power substation at the top, you just immediately track left and pick up the trail which is VERY WELL maintained all the way to Yanchep (according to someone I met). I followed the trail for several k to the top of a few hills. Lovely track, narrow but they have made it an amazing facility for anyone in the northern suburbs with a MTB.

Highly recommended and I can't wait to do the entire track.

If you start from Neil Hawkins Reserve in Joondalup. You exit at the top and immediately cross Joondalup drive to get onto Burns Beach Road and follow the footpath on the south side maybe one km or so uphill before seeing the sign (and maybe cars) and the locked gates for the track and then cross there.

So glad I found this trail.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:36 am

Cycleops70 wrote:Try this https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26656080

It's from my last out & back ride.
Saw that after I posted. Will use it on Tuesday ... will blame you if I get geographically challenged :)

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:55 pm

Aushiker wrote:will blame you if I get geographically challenged :)
lol fair enough. It's still not well sign posted. But other than the bit that runs near Wanneroo Rd, it's quite easy to follow.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:07 pm

Cycleops70 wrote:But other than the bit that runs near Wanneroo Rd, it's quite easy to follow.
Sounds like nothing has changed from when I walked it then.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:29 pm

Will have to give this one a go!

MTB only or will a CX bike be ok? running 45mm WTB riddlers

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:13 pm

jaseyjase wrote:Will have to give this one a go!

It's probably doable on a CX, as long as your gearing is low enough. There are some decent climbs.
Most of the dirt is packed down & pretty easy going. I've been using an MTB with semi-slicks & had no dramas. Only loosing traction on the really steep bits beyond Pipidinny Rd.
Just north of Reinhold Pl the surface is softer with loose rocks. Almost as though it was freshly dumped, but not compacted.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:27 pm

cheers C70, might scout it out with my hardtail first!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:44 pm

Ticked the Trail off today with an out and back ride from Neil Hawkins Park to Yanchep and return. A couple of happy snaps from today ... only part I didn't like was, surprise surprise, Section 4, the Wanneroo Road section. Rough riding as it is dumped limestone rock plus it is exposed to the sun due to being a powerline track so it got a touch warm on this section. The GPS was suggesting a max of 44 C ... whoops.

Coming across the two underpasses was, whilst great to have as it made a safe crossing, a shock. With all the fighting for good quality safe crossings on the Fremantle PSP (Tydeman Road) and Northern PSP, to see this on a low-usage trail was surprising and raises serious questions about priorities and use of our funds.

Oh I saw seven cyclists and three walkers ...

Inspectorgadget

Postby Inspectorgadget » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:31 am

Hi Andrew,

Great pix and some useful information too.

I will give this ride my full attention when I get back from NZ in a fortnight.

Loose rocks are a pain but it sounds like a perfect track for me and my bike.

Money spent wisely making Perth an interesting destination for cyclists.

My brother has done the Otago rail trail in NZ. Cycling is growing as a sport world wide and electric bikes are expanding the number of cyclists out there. All good.

G

wexford

Postby wexford » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:34 pm

jaseyjase wrote:Will have to give this one a go!

I've done it on my CX (Scott Addict) and my 29er, before it was complete. The CX made it through most of the sandy bits, so now that it's finished it should be awesome. I didn't find the rocks to be any problem other than it being a bit tough on the hands and forearms.

paul85

Postby paul85 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:51 pm

I rode this yesterday with a friend, for the most part a good trail bar the powerline trail section. I am assuming we missed a seciion as we rode up a road after leaving Neil Hawkins park.

Be careful if you are out there we had 2 dirt bikes coming up the trail straight at us and I can only assume they did not see us they were at crazy speed skidding around the place in the Yanchep national park.

Inspectorgadget

Postby Inspectorgadget » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:12 pm

Yes, the entrance to the trail is marked. The trail starts to the left of the road which leads up to a power substation.

You lift the bike up over the gate on the road then turn left and the trail is about 10m to the left. There is a turnstile type gate but it is easier to lift the bike over the gate blocking the road.

The trails is well maintained but especially after Hester Avenue it does get a bit rougher. I probably went halfway between Hester Avenue and Romeo Road, a 40km ride from Woodvale where my home is and I averaged 18.8kph for the whole trip on my electric mountain bike. I took it easy on the trail as it winds a lot and IMHO it is simply too dangerous to go fast as there are walkers and a few people with dogs off the lead.

I was very impressed with this track and the only reason I turned back is I left at 8:45 and I really should have left before 7am to do the whole trail, else it gets too hot. The tunnels under Neerabup Road and Hester Avenue are impressive.

I'm lucky, from home it is 550m to the path from McCubbin Avenue that leads up to Neil Hawkins Park which is about 18 minutes ride from home on the bike so I just kept riding. If I were doing the whole trail, I would consider putting the bike in the car as there is plenty of off road parking at the entrance to the track on Burns Beach Road or alternatively you can start from Neil Hawkins Park if you want. The beginning of the off road section starts at Burns Beach Road though and they have even put concrete pads in for parking safely off the road there.

I'm impressed and would recommend it.

Another point is when you come from Neil Hawkins on the paved path, at the end turn right then turn left a bit further on and IMMEDIATELY cross the roundabout so that you end up on Burns Beach Road, it is too easy to end up going south down Joondalup drive.

The entrance is opposite Blue Mountain drive maybe a km or so uphill from the roundabout on Burns Beach Road.

Hugor

Postby Hugor » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:15 pm

I had a go on this trail on my gravel grinder last weekend. The southern section was amazing.
Easily the funnest single track I've ridden on my cross bike. It was fast, flowy with stunning scenery.

The section along Wanneroo Rd was hell. Rocky, loose, steep, garbage everywhere and right next to a busy road with all the wonderful noise that brings. Average speed was terrible. Its only about 4km but felt a whole lot more. It almost broke me. :x
Once you leave the road it gets nice again through Yanchep N.P.

If I was to do it again on my crosser I would probably pop out onto the road to avoid the Wanneroo Rd bit.

Strava link if anyone wants to download the route or see some trail pics.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1411271865

Ed

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:40 pm

Hugor wrote:Strava link if anyone wants to download the route or see some trail pics.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1411271865
Premium Strava members only can download. RWGPS route linked earlier by Cycleops70 at ridewithgps.com/routes/26656080 is publicly exportable; even without an account

That aside; both Andrew & Eds photos look almost enticing enough to lure me north of river ;)
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Inspectorgadget

Postby Inspectorgadget » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:32 am

Hi Hugor,

I like the pictures. I've only gone as far as Romeo Road but up to that point sounds like the best of the track anyway. It is a lovely track.

I hope cyclists ride safely too as a lot of walkers, some with dogs off the lead use the track too and I saw some cyclists during one trip up there going way too fast to be safe. The visibility is limited by the windiness of the track and the bush can hide people and animals quite easily until it is too late. Every time a cyclist even scares a walker, long term it is bad news for cyclists, not to mention they could collect another cyclist.

I think on some of the straighter sections where visibility is good it is safe enough to go fast but it is like with a car if you can't brake safely in the visible distance ahead then you are going too fast and on gravel going downhill effective braking is not so good.

My last trip I also came across several groups of runners. The track is very popular which is great to see and hats off to those people who made this happen. My financial advisor was one of those on the trust or board that did this track. These tracks don't just happen, it takes money, work and organisation. The tunnels under Neerabup Road and Hester Avenue are for animal transit as well as people evidently.

On the subject of tracks, this same person said that they want to extend the coastal path from Burns Beach to Yanchep. A worry is a type of ant may have trouble crossing the path. I suggested little PVC pipes under the path. Ha ha.