Yaberoo Badjara Heritage Trail - Joondalup to Yanchep

Cycleops70

Re: Yaberoo Badjara Heritage Trail - Joondalup to Yanchep

Postby Cycleops70 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:58 am

I went for a short ride up there this morning.
Can I ask those who drive to the start at Burns Beach Rd that they do not park their cars on the foot path please.
There is plenty of space on the grass. And if you have to park a little bit further up, consider the extra 10 metre walk a warm up!

Inspectorgadget

Postby Inspectorgadget » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:26 am

I think it is a pad for parking cars on. It is wide and not very long. I wouldnt call it a footpath. It is there for cars for people using the track.

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:12 am

Inspectorgadget wrote:I think it is a pad for parking cars on. It is wide and not very long. I wouldnt call it a footpath. It is there for cars for people using the track.
It is most definitely a foot/shared path with a drop kerb with tactile paving that faces an adjoining path crossing the road.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:50 pm

Hugor wrote:I had a go on this trail on my gravel grinder last weekend. The southern section was amazing.
Easily the funnest single track I've ridden on my cross bike. It was fast, flowy with stunning scenery.

The section along Wanneroo Rd was hell. Rocky, loose, steep, garbage everywhere and right next to a busy road with all the wonderful noise that brings. Average speed was terrible. Its only about 4km but felt a whole lot more. It almost broke me. :x
Once you leave the road it gets nice again through Yanchep N.P.

If I was to do it again on my crosser I would probably pop out onto the road to avoid the Wanneroo Rd bit.

Strava link if anyone wants to download the route or see some trail pics.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1411271865

Ed
What section would be good for kids? I've taken my 7 year old on his 20 inch bike to Kalamunda a few times, I have to help him up the climbs but he can ride and descend most parts of the greens and some blues we've done with the kids group ride.

Anything flattish but not boring, and some mild descending would be awesome, and much closer to home than Kalamunda! We're about 10km south of Joondalup.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:09 pm

Mububban wrote: What section would be good for kids?
We're about 10km south of Joondalup.
I'd probably stick with the first section from Burns Beach. I've taken my 6 year old on some of that.
There are access gates on other sections like Neerabup Rd, but they are not signed from the outside.

Heading north from Burns Beach there is a 10% decline and a 6% climb.
If you don't want to hit the 10% on the way back, you could always come out a Neerabup Rd & get the train back from Clarkson, or ride the freeway bike path back. It's all safe shared path.

When I took my 6yr old, we rode up from Currumbine station to start the trail.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:46 pm

Cheers, might head out with him early Saturday morning :)
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Inspectorgadget

Postby Inspectorgadget » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:24 am

Cycleops70 wrote:
Inspectorgadget wrote:I think it is a pad for parking cars on. It is wide and not very long. I wouldnt call it a footpath. It is there for cars for people using the track.
It is most definitely a foot/shared path with a drop kerb with tactile paving that faces an adjoining path crossing the road.

It isn’t a path going anywhere but every time, about four times I have been there cars use this paved area. I never park on it as the only time I went up there by car there was no room!

I submitted the question to Wanneroo Shire as fines apply if it is illegal to park on it. Once I know for sure then if I see people parking there I can say something to warn them.

You are probably right but I would like to know for sure. The shire may simply not care or police it but I asked and so they have to reply. I would not park there if it is illegal to do so.

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:59 am

Inspectorgadget wrote: It isn’t a path going anywhere
It goes to the beginning of the trail. It is actually part of the Yaberoo Badjara Heritage Trail, as it technically starts at Neil Hawkins park.
Inspectorgadget wrote: I submitted the question to Wanneroo Shire as fines apply if it is illegal to park on it. Once I know for sure then if I see people parking there I can say something to warn them.
I think this may come under the city of joondalup.
Inspectorgadget wrote:The shire may simply not care or police it
If it is the city of Wanneroo, I'd probably agree. They are hopeless & unlikely to respond.
The city of Joondalup on the other hand are quite active with pavement parking, & the Rangers are very good, both with their response & feedback on what action they took.

If it is the City of Joondalup it's a $60 fine
If it is the city of Wanneroo it is a $100 fine (if they can be bothered to do anything.)

Inspectorgadget

Postby Inspectorgadget » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:48 pm

It is under Wanneroo and I did get a reply and they confirmed it is illegal to park on that paved path.

End of story. People can park there but it is illegal and it is possible they may come back to find themselves with a ticket from Wanneroo shire council.

Grant

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:44 pm

On the week-end, park at the station, short walk/ride to the start of the trail.

Inspectorgadget

Postby Inspectorgadget » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:37 pm

rolandp wrote:On the week-end, park at the station, short walk/ride to the start of the trail.
It would be no more than 2km I would guess. I can ride from my home in Woodvale but it adds 20km to the trip.

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:29 am

These's plenty of space to park on the verge. You don't really need to park at the station.
But if you want to claim you've done the whole trail, you'll need to park at Neil Hawkins and ride along Lake Joondalup :-)

Come to think of it, although that is the official start of the trail I don't recall any signage to say so.

Inspectorgadget

Postby Inspectorgadget » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:45 am

Cycleops70 wrote:These's plenty of space to park on the verge. You don't really need to park at the station.
But if you want to claim you've done the whole trail, you'll need to park at Neil Hawkins and ride along Lake Joondalup :-)

Come to think of it, although that is the official start of the trail I don't recall any signage to say so.
It is an arbitrary starting point. I suspect it is because there is plenty of parking there. If they said park on the side of the road on Burns Beach road it might cause congestion at times.

It is a reasonably busy track at times. I love it. I probably will do it again shortly. I just go as far as I feel like, so far only as far as Romeo Road. I end up starting too late and by 11am it is pretty hot. Maybe an early start will be achieved this weekend...:)

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:31 pm

I usually get up at 5am but there's still plenty of people about.
I'll be up there again sometime this weekend. A bit of practice for my next Munda Biddi stage.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:30 am

Thanks for the advice everyone, my son (7) and I had a ride there on Saturday morning. Turned off the freeway onto Burns beach Rd, parked the car about 500m east near the big green sign, and did almost 15km total. We took the left, not the straight, path as was the advice.
The trail starts with lovely compacted limestone with loads of grip, with space to ride 2 abreast if he needed some help from me boosting him up the climbs. About 5km in we hit a lot of soft deep sand that had my son walking. It also gets a lot narrower so he was on his own and had to hop off and walk in a couple of places (40-28 is his easiest gear).

It's not as interesting or challenging as proper trails like Kalamunda, but it's a great alternative much closer to home. We only encountered 2 other MTB riders, and maybe 6 walkers.

Inspectorgadget

Postby Inspectorgadget » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:11 pm

I rode from my home in Woodvale to Hester Road 18k each way and got back home at 9:30. It is great to have such a nice track close. The smoothest bit is to Neerabup Drive then very sandy in places to Hester Road and rougher. The bush is very nice in places too, relaxing. I take my time and enjoy the scenery.

Yes, people still parking on the concrete path, one when I started and two on there when I came back, never see anybody get a ticket though.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjDz4haJjup3hM95x9gnAbAdobMxug

Chased by aliens though...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:12 pm

Whilst today the Yaberoo Budjara Heritage Trail is a mountain biking and walking trail, it started life as a walking trail. This means that “gate” through the fence onto the trail at the Burns Beach trailhead restricts access to walkers only, so mountain bikers have to go over the fire track access gate.

Hugor

Postby Hugor » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:31 am

Lots of those turnstile type gates around. There's another of these gates at the Yanchep end of the trail.
I usually go through them by rolling the bike vertical on the rear wheel.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:40 am

Heading north from Burns Beach Road on the Yaberoo Budjara Heritage Trail in the Neerabup National Park the riding and walking surface is limestone based and hence good riding.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:40 pm

"Art" on the Yaberoo Budjara Heritage Trail at one of the two underpasses.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:54 pm

Leaving from the Yanchep NP end, where might one jump on the trail?

I ask as I've seen no signage on previous trips in the locale.

I've just got off the phone to the NP but got someone who doesn't know who I guess might be new.

They offered to have someone ring me back but I'm not someone who likes to carry a phone around with them when I'm busy.

So I'm familiar with the Park having been there quite a few times, having camped both at their caravan park facilities and having camped on the Old Ghosthouse walk within the park, but I've failed to spot any signage with regards this particular trail and finding the trailhead. :)
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:31 pm

Having a browse around on Nearmap it appears that the northern extents of the trail are just marked with triangular trail markers at the road crossings, not the proper named signage you get at the southern terminus. If you enter the national park area from Yanchep Beach Rd the crossing is about 75m before the T-junction with the road that leads to the toll booth.

The access off Yanchep Beach Rd is about 725m before the Wanneroo Rd T-junction and has a metal gate, triangular trail marker and a small (~20cm) green sign headlined as Yanchep National Park.

Unfortunately Google Maps doesn't work with the ancient version of Internet Exploder I have on this PC so I can't link to the locations.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:39 pm

rifraf wrote:So I'm familiar with the Park having been there quite a few times, having camped both at their caravan park facilities and having camped on the Old Ghosthouse walk within the park, but I've failed to spot any signage with regards this particular trail and finding the trailhead. :)
When I left the Yanchep National Park I missed the eggris point and had to ride east for a little bit on a bitumen road (to a point near the park entrance) to pick up the trail again.

I don't believe there is any significant signage at the park.

You can see my little venture finding the trail again in my GPS track.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:10 pm

Scott_C wrote:Having a browse around on Nearmap it appears that the northern extents of the trail are just marked with triangular trail markers at the road crossings, not the proper named signage you get at the southern terminus. If you enter the national park area from Yanchep Beach Rd the crossing is about 75m before the T-junction with the road that leads to the toll booth.

The access off Yanchep Beach Rd is about 725m before the Wanneroo Rd T-junction and has a metal gate, triangular trail marker and a small (~20cm) green sign headlined as Yanchep National Park.

Unfortunately Google Maps doesn't work with the ancient version of Internet Exploder I have on this PC so I can't link to the locations.
Thank you Scott_C

Aushiker wrote:
rifraf wrote:So I'm familiar with the Park having been there quite a few times, having camped both at their caravan park facilities and having camped on the Old Ghosthouse walk within the park, but I've failed to spot any signage with regards this particular trail and finding the trailhead. :)
When I left the Yanchep National Park I missed the eggris point and had to ride east for a little bit on a bitumen road (to a point near the park entrance) to pick up the trail again.

I don't believe there is any significant signage at the park.

You can see my little venture finding the trail again in my GPS track.
Thank you Andrew.

Oh, I don't remember having spotted the lake Yonderup there either.

I think between Scotts description and your map link Andrew that I've enough of an idea of where to be looking for the entry on Yanchep Beach Rd.

I was going to say shame about the signage but of late I'm been struggling with the sheer numbers of traffic and much increased population in the greaterr Yanchep/Two Rocks area, so I'm actually glad the signage might be a little inadequate and look forward to what is hopefully a low patronage ride when I get around to doing it. :D
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:30 pm

Yaberoo Budjara Heritage Trail pass through or alongside farming land which is slowly been encroached on by suburbia. Thankfully the Trail passes through to nature heritage areas, the Neerabup National Park and the Yanchep National Park.