New Year greeting from Perth's dolphins

ColinOldnCranky

New Year greeting from Perth's dolphins

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:50 pm

My first ride out in 2018 and the Dolphins were waiting to wish me #HappyNewYear.

It may not be pristine but the Swan River is still a place that some critters like to call home.

The bad news is that autopsies reveal toxins (PFCs) in our dolphins that should not be there. :( It may not be the Ganges but we do still treat our river a little bit like a toilet.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

redsonic

Re: New Year greeting from Perth's dolphins

Postby redsonic » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:24 pm

I had heard about the chemical exposure the Swan River dolphins have shown. But hey, those guys looked happy enough. Thanks for sharing; must have been a buzz to see them!

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:08 pm

redsonic wrote:I had heard about the chemical exposure the Swan River dolphins have shown. But hey, those guys looked happy enough. Thanks for sharing; must have been a buzz to see them!
The River pod is a stable population of around 25 and they move around in small clusters of two or three or four. So when I had a boat it was a rare day indeed over summer if I did not have at least two contacts over a trip up or down river. By contact I mean a few just popping up next to the boat and hanging around for a minute or so.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:51 pm

Saw a couple of them having a good old frolic by the Scout Hall opposite Coffee Point this morning. It does always give me a bit of a boost seeing them - I wonder what percentage of people get to watch a dolphin breakfast meeting on the way to work, life certainly isn't all bad :)
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle