Speed humps coming to a PSP near you.

Thoglette

Speed humps coming to a PSP near you.

Postby Thoglette » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:01 pm

Perth bike path speed bump trial set to force speeding cyclists to slow down
ABC Radio Perth By Rebecca Trigger and Damian Smith wrote: A trial of speed bumps on shared bike and pedestrian paths will be launched shortly in high-traffic areas in Perth, in a bid to get bicyclists to slow down.

Department of Transport acting executive director Craig Wooldridge said as cycling had risen in popularity the department had seen a lot more conflict between walkers and riders.

Mr Wooldridge said the department had tried to get riders to slow down with "slow points" and surface treatments such as those deployed at City West train station, but with limited success.

The height and spacing of the speed bumps still need to be refined, but the department expected to roll out the trial at Claremont and Bayswater train stations, and the bike path along the river in Alfred Cove in the not-too-distant-future.

The features will have warning lights at night and will be clearly signed.
This is round two - the first ones (in Leeming) were too steep and too close together, apparently. Certainly the locations raised by the DoT all need attention (bar bayswater, which I'm not familiar with) as they are all accidents waiting to happen.
Last edited by Thoglette on Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Cycleops70

Re: Speed humps coming to a PSP near you.

Postby Cycleops70 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:07 pm

DoT " as cycling had risen in popularity" we are putting barriers in place to make it less popular!

Alternatively, build a separate bike path.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:25 pm

Woo-hoo. Jumps!
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

roller

Postby roller » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:42 pm

Thoglette wrote:Certainly the locations raised by the DoT all need attention (bar bayswater, which I'm not familiar with) as they are all accidents waiting to happen.
My guess is the Bayswater section is required because they have built a great section of bike path taking riders past the station, but in the morning/afternoon rush it is also the most convenient way to walk from one of the station carparks to the platform, bringing slow moving peds into conflict with very fast moving bikes.
inflammatory statement or idea

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:57 pm

Given the poor condition of the Roe Hway PSP which is right next to the "park in Leeming" where the trials are occuring, couldn't we have saved $50,000 and just observed those using the PSP attempting to navîgate the bumps on the PSP.

We were asked to provide feedback last year when the trials were first suggested. My response indicated that there were already speed humps on shared paths, in particular, the brand new "Gateway PSP" near the airport and the "wetlands" at Garratt Rd Bridge Bayswater. It appears these were ignored and additional $50,000 required to undertake the trial.

I appreciate the need to make shared paths safe, but this may then turn more cyclists off the shared path and onto the road.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:30 am

I'm selling up and moving to Claisebrook atm. That's gonna be closer to busy train stations and other ped crossings and pinch points.

Ergo, I think that they are wise to put a few inhibitors where I am now more likely to be riding. Watch out peds, unicycle roaring towards you. :mrgreen:
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:41 am

On a positive note, at least an organised trial is being done. Far better than waiting for local councils to all do their own thing based on some engineers or planning clerks thought bubble.

I don't often ride places where train stations off load next to a train station. But I do recall with concern the west perth crossing before they put in a few kinks and lots of signs. A disaster waiting to happen if ever there was one.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

dv

Postby dv » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:00 pm

Shared paths were seen as a solution for road cautious cyclists, but everytime usage grows, which they are supposed to do, you get signage - cyclists slow down - cyclists dismount - and now cycle speed bumps. It seems to me like a lot of the planners who initiate shared paths assume they are for mum and dad taking the kids for a quiet cycle, when the highest proportion of users are daily commuters who may do 30kms or more to and from work and (I think) it is not unreasonable to expect to be able to do 25 to 30km/h.

Compounding the problem are day time pedestrians. I note that early mornings and evenings pedestrians and cyclists tend to get on pretty well (along the path around the Swan River). Both keep left of the centre line marked on the paths - and overtaking can be done safely. If I go to work late, or leave early then daytime tourists/visitors? can be walking anywhere on the path - despite there being clear keep left pictures marked. It also defies logic how often someone steps into the path without looking at all. You can expect this from dogs and children and so you stay vigilant, but adults do the same thing. Perhaps there should be some responsibility for pedestrians to do the right thing. I don't cross a street on my bike without looking and indicating my intention as I prefer to stay out of hospital (I would have thought that to be common sense?).

Ideally cyclists and pedestrians should be separated, but failing that, I would prefer to see some public awareness campaigns and training around the use of shared paths. It would also be good if the needs of - and encouragement for -cycle commuters are studied in Australia (which is very different to Europe). Speed bumps on shared paths, on the other hand, will become a disincentive for cyclists who will go around on the lawn area or wind up on the roads or not riding at all. It may be that a few speed bumps can be tolerated - but if the trials are "deemed a success" and they get proliferated ..........?

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:33 pm

If you can lay your hands on the 1996 edition of the Perth Bicycle Network Plan (I can't seem to find an electronic version of it online) it states that the railway and freeway PSPs were intended to eventually be grade separated "cyclist priority" paths. On the other hand the 1996 plan was to have the initial paths completed to a basic standard (limited grade separation and no lighting) by 2001 some sections of which are now supposedly due to be complete by 2022 (looking at you Armadale line between GE Highway and Welshpool Rd). The original plan has since been subverted by short term planning and lack of budget but the original plan was clear that the PSPs were initially intended for efficient commuting.