Gdog

Re: PSP Kwinana Fwy Roe Hwy Interchange

Postby Gdog » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:40 pm

Anybody know if this has opened up yet?

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:09 am

Yes. It hasn’t.

Had a look on Sunday and, give them credit, there was a roller working on compacting the floor through the tunnel and the access path down to it from Hope Rd / Gilchrist Rd.

If they wanted to I reckon they could get it paved and open by Christmas but it would be substandard with no lighting or anything.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:14 am

scirocco wrote:If they wanted to I reckon they could get it paved and open by Christmas but it would be substandard with no lighting or anything.
I believe they need to by Jan 2, because they are closing Bibra Drive for a month (that is what the electronic signs say).

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:34 pm

Yes I did wonder how the Bibra Drive closure would be managed. I don't know how completely the road will be blocked or if they could keep a bike accessway open.

Given that I saw them working on the path and underpass tunnel on a Sunday morning, it suggests they are taking it seriously. If they worked on it between Christmas and New Year it's feasible it might open for Jan 2. I haven't seen anything of the north side so have no idea what state of completeness that part is in.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:35 pm

https://project.mainroads.wa.gov.au/hom ... fault.aspx
From late-December, the northern end of the project will see a shortened detour with access to a new portion of the PSP via Hope Road, and a new underpass.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:40 pm

Looks like the Bibra Drive closure is not a 24/7 closure
https://project.mainroads.wa.gov.au/hom ... connection
Bibra Drive will be closed between Hope Road and the Lakeside Recreation Centre for four weeks from
2 January 2019 while we construct a new roundabout on Bibra Drive.

The closure will enable work to be carried out during school holidays and outside peak commuter times.
Out of hours work will include weekend and night works to enable the roundabout to be completed as
soon as possible and with minimal disruption.

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:30 pm

Underpass at Roe H'wy to be opened before christmas. At the moment that would just leave the small detour S nearer Russell Rd - watch this space for further detours between Berrigan & Russell?

MRD roadworks update 17/12/18

Night works to complete a new PSP connection to Hope Road (adjacent to Pausin Crescent), Bibra Lake

Tuesday 18 December and Wednesday 19 December 2018 6pm-6am (2 nights)
Works include:
• Asphalting of the new PSP, connecting to Hope Road near Pausin Crescent
• Vehicle movements including semi-trailer delivery trucks
• Equipment to be used will include rollers for compaction, lighting towers and saw cutting equipment
The works will enable MRIA to meet its commitment to reopen the PSP prior to Christmas.

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:37 pm

With half a working day left to Christmas I can't see them getting the markings finished and getting rid of the traffic cones and fencing by then.

But it's in a good state - paving done, lights and signage up. Extra "watch out for cyclists"' sign on Hope Rd. Should be no trouble to get it open by the time Bibra Drive closes on Jan 3rd or whatever it is.

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:18 pm

I thought it was a bit weird that there were new signs up at each end of the closed section of PSP last night when I rode past at 10PM that are still saying that it'll be open for tomorrow... oh well I'll ride down tomorrow and see if anything has happened....at least I'll get a break from the MIL... :lol:

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:53 am

Hope road underpass is open!

Rode through it on my morning commute

Emailed Main Roads
I would like to say thank you for opening the Hope Road underpass as it has made my daily commute much safer.

I do question the Main Roads detour along Bibra Drive when there is a much shorter, quicker and safer option, see attached map, using a rail crossing further north, just off Annois Road in Bibra Lake.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:45 pm

new (read extended) detour from 21 January

glennursino

Postby glennursino » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:04 pm

On the Phase 4 map does anyone know what the plan is for the sections of path marked as both closed and detour. Eg Between Kentucky and Verna?

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:30 pm

glennursino wrote:On the Phase 4 map does anyone know what the plan is for the sections of path marked as both closed and detour. Eg Between Kentucky and Verna?
My understanding of the map is that where the detour goes back to beside the freeway there will be either be a temporary path provided through the construction zone (possibly still on the "old" PSP) or the new PSP alignment will have been built so that you will be on the "new" PSP along these sections.

Looking at aerial photography from late December it is my opinion that there is no way that any of the new PSP will be ready in 2 weeks so you will almost certainly just be put back on bits of the old PSP.

Gdog

Postby Gdog » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:50 pm

Scott_C wrote:
glennursino wrote:On the Phase 4 map does anyone know what the plan is for the sections of path marked as both closed and detour. Eg Between Kentucky and Verna?
My understanding of the map is that where the detour goes back to beside the freeway there will be either be a temporary path provided through the construction zone (possibly still on the "old" PSP) or the new PSP alignment will have been built so that you will be on the "new" PSP along these sections.

Looking at aerial photography from late December it is my opinion that there is no way that any of the new PSP will be ready in 2 weeks so you will almost certainly just be put back on bits of the old PSP.
I rode this section this morning on my way to Kwinana.
The route actually takes you out onto what I assume used to be the emergency breakdown lane on the freeway. It was barricaded off fairly well and a shade cloth screen had been erected to protect from any debris that might come from passing vehicles.

On a side note, I rode from North of the river, through this section this morning (up to Thomas Rd) and F*ck me, that was a lot of diversion. If it wasn't for the fact that another cyclist was ahead of me who knew were to go(The little yellow signs were usually well placed but I couldn't see the one at this point) I would have ended up going East along Berrigan drive rather than jumping onto Verna Ct.
The detour starting at Roe Hwy was an absolute nightmare. It was my first time riding through them and I'm sure the experience wont be as frustrating next time. /rant.

Does anybody know when the whole lot is meant to be done and dusted? All of the posted signs that I could read indicated completion dates that had already come and gone. :roll:

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:21 pm

Gdog wrote:Does anybody know when the whole lot is meant to be done and dusted? All of the posted signs that I could read indicated completion dates that had already come and gone. :roll:
Some of the detour is meant to be removed in April, other sections by mid-year and the whole project done by the end of the year. Before any of that happens we are due for a new detour to be added in the next couple of weeks between the Narrows bridge and the footbridge at the scout hall in Como.

Gdog

Postby Gdog » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:27 pm

Scott_C wrote:
Gdog wrote:Does anybody know when the whole lot is meant to be done and dusted? All of the posted signs that I could read indicated completion dates that had already come and gone. :roll:
Some of the detour is meant to be removed in April, other sections by mid-year and the whole project done by the end of the year. Before any of that happens we are due for a new detour to be added in the next couple of weeks between the Narrows bridge and the footbridge at the scout hall in Como.
:cry:

Notdoneyet

Postby Notdoneyet » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:06 am

Has anyone tried the detour from kwinana fwy psp to the roe hwy psp? I only found the path previosly used is closed now and ended up turning back up the fwy and going through cbd instead which was not good at all :)

Notdoneyet

Postby Notdoneyet » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:28 am

Has anyone tried the detour from kwinana fwy psp to the roe hwy psp? I only found the path previosly used is closed now and ended up turning back up the fwy and going through cbd instead which was not good at all.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:43 pm

Notdoneyet wrote:Has anyone tried the detour from kwinana fwy psp to the roe hwy psp? I only found the path previosly used is closed now and ended up turning back up the fwy and going through cbd instead which was not good at all :)
I checked the detout out on Monday when they put it into place and it looks reasonable.

Starting from the lights at Farrington use the on road "bike lane", right at the first roundabout (take the lane on approach) and into another "bike lane". This "bike lane" disappears twice before local traffic management "swerve" points where you need to take the lane again. At the second swerve point when you take the lane don't go back into the "bike lane" afterwards because you have an immediate right turn.

This takes you into a side street without a footpath (so look for pedestrians on the road, there isn't a separate pedestrian detour despite this being a shared path detour) where there is a temporary 40kph speed limit and lots of "watch for bikes" signs posted. Second turn on the left and then start looking for the start of the path on the right hand side of the road. There isn't a proper kerbed entry point to the path but instead there is a lengthy section where they have built up the tarmac to the top of kerb height, I'd advise taking a 90 degree turn onto it because it looks sketchy to take at a narrow angle. The path connects you to a path on Karel Ave where you turn right and then right again, again and again to join the Roe Hwy path.

The detour is well marked at each turning but the temporarily mounted signs look vulnerable to toppling in high winds so I'd suggest learning the route because the signage will probably get worse through the winter (the detour is meant to be in place until November).

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:48 pm

The worst bit is going south from Faringdon and turning right at the roundabout onto Carrington. While there is a bike lane, at some point you have to move into the car lane to turn right and it is solid with cars when its busy. Some assertive “take the lane” action is required.

If you don’t do that and you swing off and cross Faringdon at the foot crossing you wait for ever for the cars to clear. Not that great at busy times.

Other than that the detour is no problem really.

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:03 pm

Well here we are 18 months after nicobec found the alternative railway crossing between Nettle Way and Annois Rd. And now we don't need it any more.

The PSP crossing over the railway line parallelling the Roe Hwy extension is now open (not the bit over Roe Hwy itself unfortunately).

So you can go (north to south):

PSP south from Farrington Rd
Roe Hwy extension underpass
Hope Rd
Left into Gilchrist Rd
Left into Parkway Rd
Left into Dowell Pl
Left onto footpath leading up to the PSP
Sharp right onto the PSP
South over the railway line and alongside the Bolderwood Reserve to Virgilia Tce
Left onto Bolderwood Dr
Left onto Elderberry Tce to take you to the usual Berrigan Dr crossing.

So we can all avoid the dodgy sand-strewn path, the burnt-out cars and the unlit maze crossing over the railway, hopefully for ever.

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:43 pm

It's been like that for at least 5 weeks

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:59 am

I don’t think it’s well known though. I still see cyclists heading down Annois Rd towards the rail crossing. And there’s no signage at the corner of Gilchrist and Parkway because that’s not the official route even though it’s the shortest and most obvious and the way I guess most people would go.

Bolderwood / Virgilia is signed but easy to miss as I did until today.

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:36 am

So what's the betting for a complete PSP reopen date?

The bit S of Roe to a bit N of Cockburn should in theory be open soon, but when I last looked on 21/3 the bit just N of Cockburn Central hadn't had any significant action for at least 8 weeks!

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:28 am

It’s hard to say, isn’t it? The missing Roe Hwy area bit (from the Hope Rd side of the underpass southwards) looks imminent. But as you say the area around Cockburn looks pretty chaotic and unfinished.

Not part of the main PSP I know but the Roe Hwy to Karel Ave path looks like it is nearly done.

But who knows when and if work will stop completely due to the virus.