Freeway and Armadale Line Cycling Bridge Painting

Scott_C

Freeway and Armadale Line Cycling Bridge Painting

Postby Scott_C » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:03 pm

The Main Roads WA Pedestrians & Cyclist Detours, Closures and Maintenance page was updated yesterday with the following works:
10 April to 15 June from 7am to 3pm daily
Various footbridges require bridge painting, resulting in partial path closures:
  • Footbridge over Great Eastern Highway near Burswood Station, Rivervale from 10 to 30 April
  • Footbridge over Kwinana Freeway near Cale St, South Perth from 16 to 18 April
  • Footbridge over Mitchell Freeway near Oxford Street, Leederville from 23 April to 7 May
  • Footbridge over Mitchell Freeway near Britannia Road, Wembley from 7 May to 1 June
  • Footbridge over Kwinana Freeway near Thelma Street, Como from 14 to 25 May
If you use any of these bridges watch out for half-assed worksite protection and insufficient lane widths, particularly during morning peak and on the already sub-standard width bridges (I know the GEH bridge and Cale St Overpass are both only ~2m wide from handrail-handrail). Despite the works being programmed to finish at 3pm I would expect wet paint signage and some form of temporary fencing being left up overnight.

commute

Re: Freeway and Armadale Line Cycling Bridge Painting

Postby commute » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:19 pm

Scott_C wrote:
  • Footbridge over Great Eastern Highway near Burswood Station, Rivervale from 10 to 30 April
I hope they are going to be using troll repellent paint for this one, and splash a bit on the bus stop below for good measure.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:55 pm

I was hoping that Main Roads were going to rebuild or replace the GEH bridge as ToVP has been given grants to upgrade the cycling infrastructure on either side of the bridge leaving the bridge as an unsafe bottleneck between what will hopefully be 2 sections of good cycling infrastructure.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:18 pm

Why are they referred to as footbridge?

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:52 pm

rolandp wrote:Why are they referred to as footbridge?
As far as I can tell there isn't an official name for a shared path bridge (and as far as I know there isn't a single cyclist only bridge in the entire state).

If you go into Main Roads Mapping System even the bridges that are exclusively for PSP's (like the bridge over the Mill St Off-ramp on the Western side of the Freeway at the Southern bank of the Narrows) are described as "Pedestrian Bridges".