PSP from Butler to Mandurah

Mububban

PSP from Butler to Mandurah

Postby Mububban » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:56 am

I'm thinking of riding from the northern most train station (Butler?) on the PSP all the way to Mandurah, just for a personal challenge. how far I get back towards home will depend on how I'm feeling by then!

However I never go south of Karrinyup road when commuting, and remember getting very turned around many years ago when trying to get into the city as the PSP sort of disappeared and the roads moved away from the freeway. And I have a laughably bad sense of direction :oops:

It'll be on a weekend so no chance to follow a CBD commuter. Can someone help me out with a basic guide to get into and beyond the city? I believe once I get on the PSP south of the bridge it's all uninterrupted?
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

novice_101

Re: PSP from Butler to Mandurah

Postby novice_101 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:50 pm

Sounds like a good challenge!

I've not been north of Powis St on the PSP, but I think there are certain areas north of there where the path ends, you need to go down side streets, to rejoin it etc. and you may end up criss-crossing the freeway a few times on the pedestrian overpasses in order to get as far down as Powis.

From Powis, you can follow it along the freeway to Leederville. I normally (due to living that way) tail off Eastward here. Seems what you'd need to do is loop onto Loftus Street once you've passed Leederville, and get onto the path down towards Railway St/Roe St (passing City West/Watertown). You'll then need to go right before you reach Perth Arena, so as to go up George Street - again you'll lose your path and will most likely need to scoot off on a side street or two and rejoin. You'll eventually find your way to the PSP that runs alongside the freeway again, taking you to the Narrows, where you'll have to go up and over and then it's a straight shot as you have the PSP that runs along Kwinana all the way down. You'll get the option at Canning Bridge to go either side of the river (straight under will take you East side, go over the bridge and then loop under it will take you West side). I find the Western side nicer, but the Eastern side is quieter. Both side converge around Mount Henry anyway and continue on your way.

I've had cycles such as this where I've had to pull over, get Maps out and just check on where I can cut down to rejoin a PSP or even just a cycle lane along a normal road. Problem with the PSP is it is not fully joined, so there are lots of little spots you need to jump off, rejoin etc. which is annoying and slows you down, but it is what it is.

Enjoy the ride!!

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:21 pm

Only been north of Leederville four times and got lost three times, the fourth time I was with a local.

A bunch of people rode from Baldivis to the northern end of the freeway PSP and return https://www.strava.com/activities/1810112814 should show you the route.

Basic directions from West Perth, which is you are on the separated shared path along Market St, before the Freeway flyover, you turn right across Market Street, you then have a shared path along George St with lights to cross Wellington, Murray and Hay St. After crossing, turn left, then almost immediately right and you are riding the PSP in front of Parliament. Bomb down the hill, veer left, after the underpass left again and heading south over the Narrows, follow the path, beware of traffic, lots of pedestrians and cyclists on the weekend.

Cross Mount Henry bridge, follow the path, go up a little climb, then you have to cross Cranford Ave, you will see a narrow path which takes you down to Selway Road down the path, ride 200 metres turn left on the PSP no more street crossing or stops until South Yunderup, 60kms of not needing to stop or worry about cars, just bikes and pedestrians which get fewer the further south you go.

Points on note

Aubin Grove is last station on the PSP

Kwinana Station is easy to get to, 500m from PSP, turn off at Thomas ride, ride along shared path west, cross interesection and you will see entrance to station 100m up road.

The Bike Place bike/coffee shop is 500m west off Safety Bay Road, Wanbro Station is a few kms further west which you can get to on shared path on south side of Safety Bay Road.

Mandurah is about 7km from PSP, three different ways to get there, two by road one by path. It is sign posted.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:42 pm

Well that all sounds horrible :D With my sense of direction I anticipate LOTS of stopping and checking maps and GPS :D

I'll give it a go sooner rather than later, before the summer heat kicks in. And if/when I run out of steam I'll just catch the train back to my home station :)
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:13 pm

I have ridden on a number of occasions from Perth to Rockingham and from Bateman to Rockingham.

The PSP in that stretch is a breeze. About the only place where it is likely for a first timer to get a little lost is just south of the Fiona Stanley hospital. And even then, withing 100 metres you will know it, back up and take the correct turn. It IS correctly signposted.

That south of the river stretch is a breeze compared to the northern suburbs. Other than in Brentwood, there are no points at which you have to cross any roads. I leave the PSP and head off though Kwinana at Thomas road but I believe that the same holds true from there to Mandjoogoordap Road near Mandurah.

It takes me a long LONG four or more hours :oops: . As I like to see people and activity around me it can be a pretty boring ride. But it is nice to get out all alone occasionally. Or, as in your case, to take up a personal challenge. Good luck with it.

And take an extra bottle of water. It's not the sort of track that has watering points.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

owly

Postby owly » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:09 am

Should be a nice ride.

I'd try and do that starting out with a northerly behind you before the wind swings south/south-west which it tends to do around noon this time of year.

Last couple of weekends I've come down from Alkimos to near Floreat?, but hugging the coast roads and paths. Makes for some nice views/riding.

The southern stretch down to Mandurah is nice this time of year with the plants and some critters out and about.
MUFC :twisted:

novice_101

Postby novice_101 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:35 pm

I should try such a challenge myself...though I do normally prefer river/coastal routes as I like the scenery, it can take my mind off the pain :)

I sometimes work down in Mandurah, and when driving back I ponder how boring the cycle may be along that path, not to mention windy!!

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:11 pm

I do the Kwinana to Perth commute a couple times or more a week, one bottle in winter, two in summer, never needed more.
ColinOldnCranky wrote:The PSP in that stretch is a breeze. About the only place where it is likely for a first timer to get a little lost is just south of the Fiona Stanley hospital. And even then, withing 100 metres you will know it, back up and take the correct turn. It IS correctly signposted.
It is very hard to get lost once past Bullcreek station, you do not need to consult a map
ColinOldnCranky wrote:And take an extra bottle of water. It's not the sort of track that has watering points.
Not really if you know where they are

Water points other than all the train stations.

Narrows turn right after you come off the bridge water and toilets

Mt Henry, turn right after you come off the bridge, water, toilets and mobile cafe.

Roe Hwy, cross the bridge over the railway line , take the path on the right not the PSP following the freeway, 20m down water.

Cockburn Station, turn off at Cockburn Station exit , head up to station, opposite entrance to station maybe 30m away cafe in a shipping container, good coffee and food. (will fill water bottles if asked)

Thomas Road, exit west on path is servo, water, food etc

Between Mudijong Road and Safety Bay Road on Freeway/PSP servo + red rooster, water, food etc

Safety Bay Road, exit west 300m is servo, behind that Baldivis shopping area, most fast food options you desire + the Bike Place coffee and spares.

After that it is pretty desolate, but ridden to the end and return enough times without issue.

If you really need it, get off a Pinjarra Road head west about 3km down Pinjarra Road is a 24hr servo.

Gunnadothat

Postby Gunnadothat » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:45 pm

Hi All,

Great ride idea. <thumbs up>

Just a quick reminder that from the 24th September a detour will be in place from Farrington Road to just south of Roe Highway - via Farrington Road and Bibra Drive, due to the widening of the Kwinana Freeway northbound lanes and the Roe Highway extension into Murdoch Drive.

Details at https://project.mainroads.wa.gov.au/hom ... pdated.pdf
FAQ at https://project.mainroads.wa.gov.au/hom ... pdated.pdf

cheers
Marc

redned

Postby redned » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:26 pm

From Butler to the city you should be okay. You are on the beaut freeway PSP to Woodvale and even though you cross to the eastern side of the freeway at Moore Drive, you can't miss it.
Through Woodvale and Kingsley there are a couple of spots where you are on local streets parallel to the freeway but the route is well-marked so you should be okay if you pay attention.
The PSP takes you up onto the footbridge over the freeway past the Greenwood station: make sure you cross the freeway to the western side then keep heading south. Again, there are a couple of back streets, but the route is bleeding obvious.
Cross back to the eastern side of the freeway over the footbridge at Civic place. This is sign-posted and pretty obviously the continuing route.
Come off Civic Place to run behind the City of Stirling offices. When you hit Cedric St. turn left and cross at the new you-beaut ped/cyclist crossing. Follow through to Hutton St overpass where you need to cross back to the western side of the freeway. Pay attention here, otherwise you will end up wandering around Osborne Park.
Stay on the PSP past Glendalough Station and pass under the freeway to the eastern side, looping up onto a bridge over Powis St.
Follow the PSP down to Leederville Station.
Novice_101's description takes you from there. Definitely loop to your left up onto Loftus St (I don't think this is well sign-posted) and drop onto the PSP along the southern side of the railway line.
Then all you have to do is get through West Perth onto the Narrows Bridge, next stop Mandurah!

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:31 pm

redned wrote:From Butler to the city you should be okay.
I thought MainRoads left a gap in the PSP when they did the Freeway extension to Hester so that you have to detour through suburbia to get from the end of the PSP PTA built with the Butler line extension to get to Hester Ave.

redned

Postby redned » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:51 pm

Scott_C wrote:
redned wrote:From Butler to the city you should be okay.
I thought MainRoads left a gap in the PSP when they did the Freeway extension to Hester so that you have to detour through suburbia to get from the end of the PSP PTA built with the Butler line extension to get to Hester Ave.
Yes you are right. When I go up that way I swing across to the coast along Hester Ave and in my mind's eye, it continued to Butler. You can come straight from Butler Station down Exmouth Drive onto Connolly Drive which has useable paths if you don't like the road.