Major upgrade to Mitchell Fwy cycling infrastructure

Mububban

Major upgrade to Mitchell Fwy cycling infrastructure

Postby Mububban » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:08 am

Apologies if this has already been posted. Good news for us NoR.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-18/ ... h/10387644

Relevant snippets:
Cyclists will soon be able to enjoy an uninterrupted and completely off-the-road ride into the city from Perth's northern suburbs, as plans for bridges and underpasses along the Mitchell Freeway come to fruition.

The upgrades will fill a so-called 'missing link' in Perth's Principle Shared Pathway (PSP) network and will feature a first-of-its-kind, separate cyclist-only path.

The works began this week after the first soil was turned on a $32 million project to reduce congestion on the Mitchell Freeway….

Cyclists riding to and from the city from the northern suburbs currently have to cross a number of intersections, navigate paths that are busy with pedestrians and take bridges across the freeway multiple times.

This is set to be eliminated with the introduction of a footpath bridge over the busy Scarborough Beach Road and underpasses at Hutton Street and the Hutton Street freeway ramps.

Cyclists will also now be able to avoid cars when a missing link in the PSP network is filled by a 2.1-kilometre stretch of path between Goody Close, near Glendalough Train Station, and Hutton Street.

In a first for WA, the network between the Glendalough Station footbridge and Roberts Street will feature separated cycle-only and pedestrian-only paths.

The design will cater for high levels of pedestrian traffic around the train station which have long been an obstacle for people riding to work in the city.

The separated sections will consist of a four-metre-wide path for cyclists and a two-metre-wide path for pedestrians.

Construction of the paths will begin south of Glendalough Station and are set to be completed with works at Hutton Street in 2019.

Work to link another gap in the PSP on the Mitchell Freeway between Civic Place and Erindale Road is expected to begin in late 2019 or early 2020.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Thoglette

Re: Major upgrade to Mitchell Fwy cycling infrastructure

Postby Thoglette » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:42 pm

Not that particular article - but there's more background in this thread
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

redned

Postby redned » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:06 pm

So southbound, the PSP will stay on the eastern side of the freeway at Hutton St, reconnecting somewhere past the Glendalough Stn footbridge?

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:57 pm

redned wrote:So southbound, the PSP will stay on the eastern side of the freeway at Hutton St, reconnecting somewhere past the Glendalough Stn footbridge?
The outcome will be a continuous bidirectional PSP from Stirling stationnorth of Hutton St* to beyond Glendalough on the east side of the fwy.
Note that the Freeway gets an extra lane southbound as an outcome of these works.

* it looks we still have the diversion around Cedric St

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:51 pm

Thoglette wrote:Not that particular article - but there's more background in this thread
Wow. References to 2012 and 2015. The wheels do turn slowly. Can't wait to see it finished though. Hopefully segregated infrastructure becomes the norm to encourage more people onto two wheels.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Wixxy

Postby Wixxy » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:43 pm

It could be still legal to cycle the pedestrian section! :D

redned

Postby redned » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:11 pm

Thoglette wrote: The outcome will be a continuous bidirectional PSP from Stirling stationnorth of Hutton St* to beyond Glendalough on the east side of the fwy.
Thanks.
ATM I cross the freeway at the footbridge at Telford Crescent and come down Hector and Frobisher, rejoining the PSP at Gordon St.
Partly because of the schemozzle crossing Hutton St, but also because I see so many cyclists running the gauntlet at Hutton St I don't want to be there when someone mistimes it.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:49 pm

redned wrote:ATM I cross the freeway at the footbridge at Telford Crescent and come down Hector and Frobisher, rejoining the PSP at Gordon St.
That was my standard route when I used to travel that way. Way better than Hutton St

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:53 pm

Mububban wrote:
Thoglette wrote:Not that particular article - but there's more background in this thread
Wow. References to 2012 and 2015. The wheels do turn slowly. Can't wait to see it finished though. Hopefully segregated infrastructure becomes the norm to encourage more people onto two wheels.
The Hutton St grade crossing was identified in the 1996 Perth Bicycle Network Plan. So was Karrinyup Rd and Cedric St grade crossings, which won't be provided as part of this work even though the freeway is being widened from Cedric St.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:17 am

Signs installed recently warning PSP closure around Hutton St from Jan 2019. Signs indicated announcement of diversions to be published soon.

Wouldn't it had made more sense to build the Southern section first, so we use this once completed, and then have a small diversion at the northern Hutton St at the end of the project?

RoFlmaTiC

Postby RoFlmaTiC » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:33 pm

I received an update via email. The PSP will be closed from Telford to Hutton St for most of this year:

https://project.mainroads.wa.gov.au/hom ... 155dd81991

I'll probably be detouring over the white bridge through to Osborne park rather than using the suggested detour in the map.
2011 Cervelo S2 | 2014 Cervelo P2 | 2014 Apollo Giro Disc | 2018 S Works Tarmac Ultralight | 2020 Ragley Trig Adventure

Knox_Harrington

Postby Knox_Harrington » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:05 pm

I'll probably be detouring over the white bridge through to Osborne park rather than using the suggested detour in the map.
Me too for sure.

Hector St West has also been resurfaced with some lovely smooth tarmac recently so it's a welcome relief from the normal bone rattling standard of the Northern PSP.

redned

Postby redned » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:02 pm

RoFlmaTiC wrote:I received an update via email. The PSP will be closed from Telford to Hutton St for most of this year:

https://project.mainroads.wa.gov.au/hom ... 155dd81991

Which is the way I always run anyway because the Hutton St crossing is so dodgy.

1bruce

Postby 1bruce » Wed May 29, 2019 5:06 pm

G'day, how are cyclist getting from Stirling through to Glendalough bike path with what looks like before Hutton st is cut off?
Thanks

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed May 29, 2019 6:44 pm

1bruce wrote:G'day, how are cyclist getting from Stirling through to Glendalough bike path with what looks like before Hutton st is cut off?
Thanks
The white bridge.....The white bridge.....

(See posts above :) )

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed May 29, 2019 9:02 pm

Or, just follow the diversion signs at the "white bridge" through Stirling Estate, and back to Hutton St bridge.

Speaking of Hutton St, that is a heck of temporary exit roads installed so they can build the PSP underpass under Hutton St exit. Nothing compared to the temporary road/barriers/etc installed in other sections of the project.

Will be interesting to see what happens on the South side of Hutton St and where it then goes under the freeway entrance.

No sign of the new PSP bridge over Scarborough Beach Rd yet.

I still can't see how this freeway widening is going to help motorists. There are still only a limited number of lanes when you approach Perth, and the motorists will still need to be in them to get to/around Perth. The bottlenecks will still be there.

1bruce

Postby 1bruce » Wed May 29, 2019 9:48 pm

Thank you
Thinking white bridge turn left onto king Edward road, along into Hutton street pick up bike path again behind thrifty rentals:)

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu May 30, 2019 11:04 am

rolandp wrote:I still can't see how this freeway widening is going to help motorists.
Shh! If people get wind of this they might stop the next major upgrade to "fix" congestion.

That MRD road-building gravy train is $1.5B a year (a.k.a. $6B over forward estimates vs $0.13B on bicycle "initiatives").

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:15 pm

Earth works have been occuring just south of Karrinyup Rd (east side of freeway). Is this the long awaited Karrinyup grade crossing from Civic Place to Erindale Rd now scheduled to be completed 2019/20?

Knox_Harrington

Postby Knox_Harrington » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:09 pm

https://project.mainroads.wa.gov.au/hom ... dening.pdf

One more detour to negotiate before this project is complete. This one is between Britannia Road and Powis St. We're being diverted over to Lake Monger.

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:47 pm

The big wall has started going up north of Vincent St - blocking out the afternoon sun and making the section much darker :(

vinski

Postby vinski » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:13 pm

Knox_Harrington wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:09 pm
https://project.mainroads.wa.gov.au/hom ... dening.pdf

One more detour to negotiate before this project is complete. This one is between Britannia Road and Powis St. We're being diverted over to Lake Monger.
FYI detour is now in place

RoFlmaTiC

Postby RoFlmaTiC » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:51 pm

I detoured on the east side on Anzac road and would recommend this over crossing to the Lake Monger side - it can take a long time to safely cross Powis st on that side during peak hours.
2011 Cervelo S2 | 2014 Cervelo P2 | 2014 Apollo Giro Disc | 2018 S Works Tarmac Ultralight | 2020 Ragley Trig Adventure

vinski

Postby vinski » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:59 pm

RoFlmaTiC wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:51 pm
I detoured on the east side on Anzac road and would recommend this over crossing to the Lake Monger side - it can take a long time to safely cross Powis st on that side during peak hours.
I did this yesterday afternoon after crossing over to Lake Monger on Monday. The path over on Lake Monger is pretty busy so for me i think ill stick with going on Anzac Tce from now whilst the detour is in place.

SnoopDoug

Postby SnoopDoug » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:26 pm

RoFlmaTiC wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:51 pm
Yeah, I had to do this on Monday night (normally I head inland from the PSP at the soccer club). That crossing is a bit of a shocker with cars coming off the fwy. It wasn't helped by the lycra-clad alpha dog who thought he was better than the rest of us by coming up on the right and blocking the view so he could cross earlier.