A reminder for the weekend - South Perth Bike path

Gunnadothat

A reminder for the weekend - South Perth Bike path

Postby Gunnadothat » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:29 pm

Hi All,
Just a quick reminder leading into the weekend that the 4WD show is on at MacCallum Park (Fri/Sat/Sun) immediately adjacent to the Bike Only path along the South Perth/Vic Park foreshore.

As per last year,
1) a number of beverage stands are located on the opposite side of the path from the main display area, which means pedestrian traffic across the bike path.
2) car parking is located to the east and west of the display area, which means that pedestrian traffic will likely be walking along the bike path.
Caution is advised.

Link to the map for info: http://www.4wdshow.com.au/images/p4wdsh ... iluhee.pdf

Also highly anticipated as per last year, a very polite request from me to show attendees on the bike only path to give way resulting in abuse and threatening behaviour usually exhibited by some of the worst on the roads in said 4WDs.

Time to brush up on Reg 204 of the RTC I think.

novice_101

Re: A reminder for the weekend - South Perth Bike path

Postby novice_101 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:02 pm

I passed last year, got abused by someone for ringing my bell saying "you don't own the path".

This year I passed through early in the morning before the event started for the day, so encountered no grief :)

I didn't know it was on either time, I just tend to use that path a lot. I've got in a couple of altercations with pedestrians along there during events. People seem to mistake my bell, thinking it to be "get the f**k outta the way", rather than the "just letting you know a bike is coming" that I think it stands for :lol:

wexford

Postby wexford » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:58 pm

novice_101 wrote:People seem to mistake my bell, thinking it to be "get the f**k outta the way", rather than the "just letting you know a bike is coming" that I think it stands for :lol:
I gave up on bells years ago because of that. A friendly "sing song" intoned "bike back" or "on your right" seems to be the only thing that works, and even that elicits the occasional surprised jolt/stagger across the path.

There were a few peds on the cycle path this time around but, given the volume of cyclists, most seemed to figure it out and stuck to the ped-path or the adjacent grass. No agro or anything.

Gunnadothat

Postby Gunnadothat » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:39 pm

I went through a lot earlier this year because of my small group ride timing, not due to the crowds...
I did notice a bit more cordoning off from the carpark area but the refreshment stands across the path is still a silly idea.
Still, its over and done with now... I wonder if anyone had any issues.

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:53 pm

Gunnadothat wrote:I went through a lot earlier this year because of my small group ride timing, not due to the crowds...
I did notice a bit more cordoning off from the carpark area but the refreshment stands across the path is still a silly idea.
Still, its over and done with now... I wonder if anyone had any issues.
Rode through about 10am Sat, and cant see an issue. Ride at walking pace for 100m or so. Refreshment stands across path not ideal but you cant begrudge peeps wanting to sit and enjoy our lovely river. Usally ride Canning HWY but all the 4wds lining just looked hard work so hit path instead.