How many Darwinites here?

tyred

How many Darwinites here?

Postby tyred » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:19 pm

Just wondering how many people from Darwin/Palmerston on here? I don't commute to work anymore as I live there but I still ride for an hour 5 days a week and do the odd long run (Adelaide river or Lake Bennet) on the MTB. Lovin this wet/humid weather, sorts the wheat out from the chaff!! :wink:

jemima

Re: How many Darwinites here?

Postby jemima » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:45 pm

duplicate post
Last edited by jemima on Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jemima

Postby jemima » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:15 am

I was in Darwin from '92-'00.

Regularly rode all over the place. Heaps of bush tracks too (I like the bush/outdoors).
For a few months was riding the path between Darwin (Winnellie) and Palmerston daily return (workplace).

Headed out to Gunn Point once, but it was a bit too far and the road/track was really shocking at the time.
Gunn point is a great place for fishing and my secret spot is still secret as far as I am aware.

I agree that if you are able to ride around during the wet season in the day when the humidity is at its highest, then you are getting pretty fit.
That humidity is a killer. The rain is warm so I didn't mind getting soaked on the bike at times!

Would like to visit again sometime during the dry season and have another ride around. See the changes since I left.

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:16 pm

Is there really a path from Darwin proper to Palmerston? Cool. I am perhaps coming back to Darwin for a conference in Sept, might be worth bringing my Bike Friday :)
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

jemima

Postby jemima » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:02 pm

It was a great path 10 years ago. These days it may be even better.

From memory, toward the Palmerston half, the path was away from the main highway and set back in the bush for long stretches.

pugnacious

Postby pugnacious » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:13 pm

The bike track from Palmerston to Darwin ends at Winnellie; which is a real shame. It's a few kilometres short of the city.

disfocus

Postby disfocus » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:38 pm

An old thread I know, but the NT forum seems pretty quiet, so I thought I might update it a little...
The bike track to Palmerston is great. It follows the old railway line, so is set well back from the highway in the bush. From Casuarina you can also follow the track along the McMillans road extension and meet up with the highway track in Berrimah. The track has also recently been extended all the way to Howard Springs. BTW, it does seem to finish in Winnellie on the way into town, but actually just crosses over to the other side of the highway. Lots of good bike paths here--I tow the kids around in a trailer and almost never use the roads. Plenty of MTB trails too, and you'll hardly ever see anyone else on them. Lee Point, Charles Darwin NP, Holmes Jungle, Howard Springs...

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:38 pm

disfocus wrote: Plenty of MTB trails too, and you'll hardly ever see anyone else on them. Lee Point, Charles Darwin NP, Holmes Jungle, Howard Springs...
It's a shame there's no mountains though! These tracks are great, but it'd be nice to have a bit of a hill to climb and descend...

rockviewau

Postby rockviewau » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:50 pm

WestcoastPete wrote:
disfocus wrote: Plenty of MTB trails too, and you'll hardly ever see anyone else on them. Lee Point, Charles Darwin NP, Holmes Jungle, Howard Springs...
It's a shame there's no mountains though! These tracks are great, but it'd be nice to have a bit of a hill to climb and descend...
hills!!! what are u on about, there are plenty!!! there is that one that goes from the botanic gardens allllll the way up to the top to the high school.... must be like 350m??? ummm there is just so many hills i cant remember them all.... hahahaha

yeah coming from canberra, this place is soooooooo flat, kinda weird actually
Lucas Hayden

Current Ride: BMC SSX01

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:45 pm

Yeah, the guv'ment should do something about it. Maybe IMPEX can build us a mountain?

agrojim

Postby agrojim » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:40 pm

Coming from Bendigo I have to say I've found the 'hills' around darwin pretty tame so far.
The bike tracks are great though.
Is anyone on here involved with the cylcling club? I'm interested in joining to go the weekend group rides. Worried I'll have trouble with the pace though.

Cheers,
Jim
Road - Cannondale Evo Six
MTB - GT Zaskar
Current project - Ricardo Elite

DCP

Postby DCP » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:29 am

agrojim wrote:Coming from Bendigo I have to say I've found the 'hills' around darwin pretty tame so far.
The bike tracks are great though.
Is anyone on here involved with the cylcling club? I'm interested in joining to go the weekend group rides. Worried I'll have trouble with the pace though.

Cheers,
Jim
The paths are pretty decent up here. A decent 25k run from the city out to Howard Springs.
I don't ride with a club, but apparently there are a couple of different groups that ride on a Saturday, a quick bunch and a not so quick bunch :) Both leave from the Nightcliff pool if I am not mistaken?
I usually see them when I am out on a Saturday clocking up another 80-100 k's.
2012 Merida Reacto 904

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:37 am

These are the guys who run the Saturday a.m. rides, plus all of their other rides and races:

http://www.darwin.cycling.org.au/

This is the Mountain Bike club - Darwin Offroad Cyclists (DORCs):

http://www.dorc.com.au/

And this is your cycling advocacy group (with a terrible website - let me know if you can help fix it!):

http://bicyclent.org.au

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:00 pm

Hey there,

there are a few of us now riding from Palmerston into coolspot and home again on Saturday mornings, from 6am

i've also created a facebook group called Darwin Palmerston Riding

so if you want to jump on and just going for a ride and want to have someone tag along

I've found that I might go for a ride at odd hours, and you never know if someone might be interested

Regards

LArs