Werribee Gorge Cycling Tour

lavruban

Werribee Gorge Cycling Tour

Postby lavruban » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:15 pm

The original “plan” was to do the longer Parwan Valley Grasslands Cycling Tour, which covers 40 kilometres and is suitable for road bikes. However, due to a little bit of misleading information on the V/Line Escape app, I ended up doing the Werribee Gorge Cycling Tour, which covers 24 kilometres and consists of both road and gravel surfaces. (Both tours start in Ballan and end in Bacchus Marsh.)

The Werribee Gorge Cycling Tour: http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/541451822" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The intended Parwan Valley Grasslands Cycling Tour, which oddly, actually goes through Rowsley Valley: http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/541458082" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I began at Ballan Railway Station, headed down Fisken Street and Main St to Ingliston Road, where the ride began. There was absolutely no one in sight!

After an initial road segment, the surface alternated between gravel and road – it was gravel as I passed through the Werribee Gorge State Park.

Once I was past the gravel segmets, I took the opportunity to increase my speed and get to Bacchus Marsh quicker. At this stage, I had probably ridden past eight people and five cars.

Just before Ironbark Road intersected with McCormack Road, a magpie attacked, despite me watching him as I rode past and as he approached. Surprised he didn’t back down. Swooped for about 300 metres, but he didn’t make contact, thankfully. (I’m not too proud to admit I screamed my guts out as he was swooping.)

Image This is where the magpie attacked. No chance he’d miss me in open land.

Soon after, I arrived in Bacchus Marsh. Overall, a quality ride, but certainly not one for road bikes.

Espresso_

Re: Werribee Gorge Cycling Tour

Postby Espresso_ » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:52 pm

Thanks for the write up.

What kind of bike/tyres were you riding?

E

lavruban

Postby lavruban » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:45 pm

Espresso_ wrote:Thanks for the write up.

What kind of bike/tyres were you riding?

E
Was on a 1988 Apollo Delta roadie. The roads were absolutely perfect for it! Gravel, not so much.

ElizabethA04

Postby ElizabethA04 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:43 am

When I get a mountain bike I would been keen to try this route, particularly because it isn't too far from home. Thanks for sharing,

clackers

Postby clackers » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:18 pm

The other weekend I rode from Ballan Station to Werribee Station via the goldmine 'ghost town' of Stieglitz in the Brisbane Ranges. Great fun.

lavruban

Postby lavruban » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:54 am

ElizabethA04 wrote:When I get a mountain bike I would been keen to try this route, particularly because it isn't too far from home. Thanks for sharing,
No worries

lavruban

Postby lavruban » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:55 am

clackers wrote:The other weekend I rode from Ballan Station to Werribee Station via the goldmine 'ghost town' of Stieglitz in the Brisbane Ranges. Great fun.
How'd you find it? Might give it a crack myself. About 100 km isn't it?

clackers

Postby clackers » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:57 pm

Fine ... there was a dirt road going into Steiglitz, but no special precautions are needed.