Epic MTB Tour

Bjbiker

Epic MTB Tour

Postby Bjbiker » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:09 pm

A mate and I have just completed a great trip starting from near the ACT border and following the Australian Alps Walking Track most of the way to Victoria then making our own way through the mountains back home to Bairnsdale ,taking us nine days and doing about 600 kms .Through this section the alpine walking track is mostly on closed management only vehicle tracks making it ideal for MTBs ,track surfaces varied from very good to very rough but still the whole length was 99 percent rideable . The original plan was to ride from Canberra ,but bikes are not allowed in the bimberi wilderness area and there were some mega steep hills that wouldn't have been much fun getting up so decided to start at Adaminaby and head north to the ACT border. Jindabyne was at the halve way mark making it ideal for restocking for the next section. For those interested in the route taken ,following are the tracks taken and daily kms.
Start Adaminaby --Snowy Mtns Hwy --Tantangara rd --Pockets saddle rd --Blue waterholes trail -- Pockets Hut 63 kms
Mosquito creek trail -- Port Philip trail -- Snowy Mtns hwy -- Bullocks hill trail -- Hains Hut 54kms
Nungar trail -- Kiandra -- Tabletop mountain trail -- Broken dam hut 35 kms / Grey mare trail -- Grey mare hut 54 kms
Valentine's trail -- Schlinks trail -- Guthega -- Jindabyne 65 kms / Alpine way Thredbo -- Cascade trail -- Tin Mine Huts 71 km
Tin mine trail -- Cowombat flat track -- Native dog flat 40kms / Native cat track -- Nunniong rd -- Nunnet rd --Glenmore huts 76 kms / Timbarra road -- Buchan rd --Bruthen -- Rail trail to Bainsdale. Riders need to be very fit and self sufficient .
Spares carried included spare derailer ,tyre,spokes,rear axle,zipp ties (needed to fix pannier rack which broke in 3 places )
Most of the trip is spent above the 1000 mtr mark so alpine conditions can be experienced at any time of the year.
Make sure your granny gear is in good condition as you will need it !

Uncle Just

Re: Epic MTB Tour

Postby Uncle Just » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:54 pm

Well done. Deserves a proper write up and pics perhaps?

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:10 pm

Uncle Just wrote:Well done. Deserves a proper write up and pics perhaps?
+1, i'd love to see some pics.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:35 pm

Yes, your brief description leaves many open questions. Would like to see more. :wink:
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Bjbiker

Postby Bjbiker » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:49 am

Would love to post some pics ,but can't figure out how to do it ,can anyone take me through it step by step.
Any questions you have about my trip ,fire away.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:02 am

Bjbiker wrote:Would love to post some pics ,but can't figure out how to do it ,can anyone take me through it step by step.
Any questions you have about my trip ,fire away.
See if this thread helps you and you may need a few more post under your belt to post images I can't remember. Sounds like a really awesome tour.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23303

Ricky

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:02 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote: See if this thread helps you and you may need a few more post under your belt to post images I can't remember. Sounds like a really awesome tour.

There used to be a requirement for 5 posts or something, but that's no longer the case. Fire up the Photobucket/Flickr/whatever account and go nuts :) .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:27 pm

Release the Pics :!:
Get typing :!: :D

That story deserves a proper write up. :idea: :D

Oh and welcome to the forum Bjbiker :)
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:04 pm

A friend of mine, Justin from Paynesville was talking about a ride like this with some of his mates.
He's a keen mountain bike rider. I road toured to Melbourne via Sth. Gippsland earlier this year with him. Do you know him by any chance?
As everyone else has said, show and tell us all about it. Type of bike, food, gear, weather, wildlife,highs and lows etc. etc.
PHOTOS.

Bjbiker

Postby Bjbiker » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:57 pm

To all those interested ,I have just completed a journal of the trip on the following link http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/15341" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Enjoy

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:24 pm

Bjbiker wrote:To all those interested ,I have just completed a journal of the trip on the following link http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/15341" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Enjoy
Great,
I shall tonight have a squiz.
Ta for sharing :)
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:59 am

Awesome report. Thanks for posting more details and photos!

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:35 am

Nice read and great images thanks for sharing.

Ricky

Tim

Postby Tim » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:05 pm

Myself and a handful of others including ilPadrone spent last New Year's Eve at Native Dog Flat on the headwaters of the Buchan.
Great campsite as we also had a rest day there and time to enjoy the beautiful weather and environment. The temperature dropped below zero on one of the two nights.
My standout memory was having brumbies (feral horses more correctly) run through our camp in the dead of night.
I think all of us had the same thought at the same time; "How good a night vision do horse's posses?"
Good enough to avoid tripping on tent guy lines or running through a tent. A tad scary at the time.
I love the Australian Alps (but not the horses).