Gippsland meander-advice please.

Malikaal

Re: Gippsland meander-advice please.

Postby Malikaal » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:03 pm

Hi Andy,
Our family of four left from eastern end of Grand Ridge Road last Saturday and rode past Tarra Bulga and on past the jumbuck turnoff where we found a delightful campsite complete with a little waterfall beside the road. Over the next 5 days we rode on to Queenscliff via worrarra road to Toora, rail trails to Buffalo, via Tarwin Lower to Inverloch, Cape Patterson, Wonthaggi, Cowes, Stony Point, Merricks rail trail to Red Hill, then over Aurthurs seat and on to Sorrento. We nearly crossesd paths. My mother stopped the group of Dutch cyclists thinking it was us! We agree, lots of great cycling in Victoria. You are welcome to drop in if you are slogging past on Grand Ridge Road, or in Traralgon. PS there Is a nice undulating sealed road through the Holey Plains State park just south east of Rosedale, that connects with the Stradbroke road. Great for seeing wildlife and hardly a car. 15 km of bitumen then gravel of about 10km.
Happy riding!
Last edited by Malikaal on Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:03 pm

Hey thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately I got food poisoning in Sale and had to cancel the last few days of my holiday. I had no idea how bad food poisoning can make you feel. I thought it was usually just a bit of vomiting and gravy bottom but wow was I wrong.

(AT) Malikaal

Thanks for the kind offer as I'm sure to take you up on it so I've saved your number. I'm keen to explore more of the region especially the Strzleckis. I found the rail trails or at least the bits I traveled to be excellent. Only exception was the beginning of the trail east out of Heyfield which was washed away or too sandy.

Cheers,
A

ps. you may want to remove your phone number from public view.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:52 pm

Have been recommended good accommodation at the Tarra-Bulga Guesthouse, right on the Grand Ridge Rd at the Balook junction. Rooms, tent camping and great help for travellers.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:34 pm

il padrone wrote:Have been recommended good accommodation at the Tarra-Bulga Guesthouse,
I haven't stayed there but a few of us rode up to Mt. Tassy from Traralgon and then on to said guesthouse last year.
Good coffee, friendly owners and excellent home made carrot cake.

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:51 am

That's very handy to know they allow tents. It's not mentioned on their website.