2017 Indian Pacific Wheel Race

rama

2017 Indian Pacific Wheel Race

Postby rama » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:37 pm

Surely this is way off-topic, but just wanted to let everyone know that a couple of friends of mine will be flying from Greece to Oz to compete in next month's Indian Pacific Wheel Race from Fremantle to Sydney.
https://www.indianpacificwheelrace.com/2017roster
Not sure if you all follow that race. It is solo & unsupported riding. Just a bit faster than your typical tour.
The first of the two Greek riders is German-born Steffen Streich, who lives in a village on my native island of Lesbos in Greece. (no jokes, I am a Lesbian!). He has won several international long distance races in recent years. And he is vegetarian :shock:
The other is Vasiliki Voutzali, a young lady who started as an urban cyclist and become an avid brevet participant. She is very stubborn and never stops pushing hard on the pedals and smiling.
Watch out for both, and wish them good luck!
Angelos Kiosklis
Athens, Greece
Last edited by rama on Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

cancan64

Re: 2017 Indian Pacific Wheel Race

Postby cancan64 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:40 am

That is one tough race....and to throw in the snowy mountains after over 4000km of cycling. and has some very good endurance riders in the line up
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:55 am

Interesting. Poorly promoted - it's the first I have ever seen of it.

I wonder how many of the international riders have visited Australia before and understand the challenges that will face them to ride self-supported across the Nullabor where the denizens are not known for their friendliness and food and water supplies are few and far between.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Tim

Postby Tim » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:34 pm

Durianrider has entered the race.
The organizers have one of his videos for promotion.
No comment.

Marx

Postby Marx » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:37 pm

RonK wrote:Interesting. Poorly promoted - it's the first I have ever seen of it.

I wonder how many of the international riders have visited Australia before and understand the challenges that will face them to ride self-supported across the Nullabor where the denizens are not known for their friendliness and food and water supplies are few and far between.
With an event capped at 100 participants the promotion of the event would really be only to drum up interest for people to follow the participants.
I heard the race entry fee was about $40.
-----------------------
A bike and a place to ride.

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:14 pm

RonK wrote:Interesting. Poorly promoted - it's the first I have ever seen of it.

I'd say the 'pointy' end of the field, which contains multiple Trans Am, Tour Divide, Transcontinental, Trans Siberian winners, not to mention Mike Hall (World Cycle Race winner in 91+ days amongst many other achievements), have a little bit of an idea of what's going on! :|

You could though Ron, pedal out to the halfway mark, somewhere between Port Augusta and Adelaide, and slip them some advice if you think it would help. I'm sure they'd be appreciative. :wink:

https://www.indianpacificwheelrace.com/

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:03 am

Smithstreet wrote:You could though Ron, pedal out to the halfway mark, somewhere between Port Augusta and Adelaide, and slip them some advice if you think it would help. I'm sure they'd be appreciative. :wink:
No thanks - once is enough.

So good for the "pointy" end of the field - but what about all the rest?

Do all the riders who are not at the "pointy" end of the field know they probably won't be able to get food and water from the few meagrely-stocked and indifferent roadhouses without making any prior arrangements or shipping supplies ahead. Yeah!

I guess they could beg from the grey nomads - that may be marginally within the rules. Or maybe they could carry enough water and food in their jersey pockets to get across the Nullabor.

LG

Postby LG » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:46 am

A fella in the next 'town' (more a locality) to me is doing this. He has built his own frame for the race and is currently putting in some big miles. Will be watching with interest.
LG = Low Gear

wicksey

Postby wicksey » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:03 am

Between Durianrider and Cycling Maven they have 100k+ subscribers and actively talk about the race. Not that IPWR was looking for that amount of coverage, as Jesse Carllson and his contacts would have easily filled 100 spots.

rama

Postby rama » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:28 pm

All riders in events like the IPWR use smartphones with downloaded maps to navigate, and have planned their stops & supplies for food and naps carefully several months in advance.
Friends back home use the signals from Spot locators carried by riders to monitor their route, and call them on their mobile phone if they take the wrong turn!
But navigation can still be tricky because of mental fatigue and human mistakes. My friend Steffen last year was leading the Trans Am race for 18 days and only a short distance before the finish line a local pointed him to the wrong direction. By the time he realised his mistake and got back on track, his closest chaser got to the finish line first.

iacl

Postby iacl » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:34 am

Nice to see this thread.

I thinks it's actually on topic, at least from the midfield back :D

I'll be taking the Vivente along for the ride, with a fairly lightish touring setup. My mindset and prep is based along the lines of it being a rapid or fast tour, so not worrying about it being a 'race'.

For those curious you can follow the riders at

https://indianpacificwheelrace.maprogress.com/

I've been curious about his kind of riding since first following the race around the world in 2012, by remote. So I'm really looking forward to meeting some of these riders face to face (at least at the beginning).

Pretty sure there's still space available if anyone has a week or 4 spare.

Enjoy,

Antony

rama

Postby rama » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:12 am

Good luck, Antony!
Sounds like you're determined to enjoy the long ride, regardless of the result.
We will keep an eye on the moving "AL" tab on the map ;-)

bagelonabike

Postby bagelonabike » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:14 pm

iacl wrote:Nice to see this thread.

I thinks it's actually on topic, at least from the midfield back :D

I'll be taking the Vivente along for the ride, with a fairly lightish touring setup. My mindset and prep is based along the lines of it being a rapid or fast tour, so not worrying about it being a 'race'.
All the best on your adventure and dream mate, respect :D

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:54 am

This race looks fabulous. I'll follow the progress, when I can.

The route might not be through Wolfe Creek, but it will no doubt have it's moments. There is a notoriously interesting section on the route. It is between Macs Reef Road and Shingle Hill Way, North East of Canberra on the Old Federal Highway, West of Lake George, :shock: . This section of road has a disturbing history of cyclists being attacked out there.

A bloke frequently attacked cyclists on that section of road. Solo cyclists and riders in groups, both men and women, he wasn't choosy. He was given jail for the assaults but he is now back out ... it has been very quite out that way at the moment.

Warren.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:24 pm

WarrenH wrote:This race looks fabulous. I'll follow the progress, when I can.

The route might not be through Wolfe Creek, but it will no doubt have it's moments. There is a notoriously interesting section on the route. It is between Macs Reef Road and Shingle Hill Way, North East of Canberra on the Old Federal Highway, West of Lake George, :shock: . This section of road has a disturbing history of cyclists being attacked out there.

A bloke frequently attacked cyclists on that section of road. Solo cyclists and riders in groups, both men and women, he wasn't choosy. He was given jail for the assaults but he is now back out ... it has been very quite out that way at the moment.

Warren.
That sounds quite disturbing WarrenH. I'd say almost worth a mention to the organisers at IndyPac just as a precaution. There's a lot of *****d up people in this *****d up land!! If he's been in the bin, I wouldn't guarantee that would have altered his original mindset.

BTW, there's no 'E' in Wolf Creek... maybe there's an extra one in Macs Reeef rd!! :wink:

#banjosaretuningupnow

frank9755

Postby frank9755 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:49 am

RonK wrote:
Smithstreet wrote: Do all the riders who are not at the "pointy" end of the field know they probably won't be able to get food and water from the few meagrely-stocked and indifferent roadhouses without making any prior arrangements or shipping supplies ahead. Yeah!
Interesting!

I'm riding next week. And as part of the international contingent who have not visited Australia before, I'm trying to do as much research as I can beforehand. Are the roadhouses likely to sell out after half a dozen riders, or do they not stock bottled water / packaged cakes, etc?

FWIW making prior arrangements or shipping supplies ahead would be against the rules, but no food for a week and a half would be even more serious!

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:56 am

frank9755 wrote:I'm riding next week. And as part of the international contingent who have not visited Australia before, I'm trying to do as much research as I can beforehand. Are the roadhouses likely to sell out after half a dozen riders, or do they not stock bottled water / packaged cakes, etc?

FWIW making prior arrangements or shipping supplies ahead would be against the rules, but no food for a week and a half would be even more serious!
Yes Frank, this is what I'm alluding to. Not necessarily going to be an issue but better to be aware.

It's been a while since I last crossed, but supplies were patchy and the prices were outrageous. Most roadhouses do have very basic supplies, but I don't know if they would have enough stock to supply all the riders in the event.

Perhaps the organisers will have alerted the roadhouse opertors about the event, but that's no guarantee that they'll care. I'm not saying they are all unfriendly but it's not uncommon to encounter a distinct attitude. To give you an idea, don't be surprised to see signs like this.

Bore water is often saline and may not agree with the stomaches of highly stressed atheletes. Bottled water is likely to cost around $7.00 AUD per litre. However the grey nomads are often very accommodating and it would seem to be within the rules to accept some water/food from them.

Also keep in mind that not all roadhouses/kitchens are open 24hours, so if you arrive late at night it may not be possible to obtain supplies or a hot meal.

As a touring cyclist I take notice of the journals posted by other tourists. There are quite a few journals on crazyguyonabike by cyclists who have made the crossing and they are very good sources of information. And another informative journal here. With regard to the wind, you may be interested to look at the BOM wind roses.

There is an IGA supermarket at Norseman which is probably the last until Ceduna. I imagine that they may sell out of energy bars very quickly. :D

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:48 pm

With regards to the IGA in Norseman whilst it is now open on Sundays (been caught out by this before when it was not open on Sundays) it is limited hours so if you arrive on a Sunday afternoon for example or after hours the next best option may only be the BP Roadhouse which has bit of a mini-market.

r2160

Postby r2160 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:13 pm

I would be interested to talk to one of the riders about the preparation they do for this. Perhaps next year would be a good year . . .
If one of you know the riders, feel free to pass this message onto them, perhaps after the race.
thanks
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

rama

Postby rama » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:35 pm

You will be surprised to hear that long-distance racers do not follow a structured training programme like a typical road racer.
They spend a lot of time on their bikes though. Take for example the Belgian rider, Kristof Allegaert, a favourite for any race of this type. His typical weekend score is 500km+, and that's in Belgian weather (strong winds, rain).
Coping with sleep deprivation, harsh weather and pressing on near-bonk conditions are very important factors in long-distance unsupported events. You also need to prepare each race, researching potential spots for naps and supplies.

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:25 pm

Can't wait to start 'dot watching'... bring it on. :D

frank9755

Postby frank9755 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:44 am

Aushiker wrote:With regards to the IGA in Norseman whilst it is now open on Sundays (been caught out by this before when it was not open on Sundays) it is limited hours so if you arrive on a Sunday afternoon for example or after hours the next best option may only be the BP Roadhouse which has bit of a mini-market.
I've got a spreadsheet with all the towns that the route passes through, what the grocery shops are and their opening hours - I'll find out how accurate the online info is - or is not - at some point!

frank9755

Postby frank9755 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:47 am

RonK wrote:As a touring cyclist I take notice of the journals posted by other tourists. There are quite a few journals on crazyguyonabike by cyclists who have made the crossing and they are very good sources of information. And another informative journal here. With regard to the wind, you may be interested to look at the BOM wind roses.
Thanks for the comments, Ron. I read them when you posted but forgot to reply. I've hunted down a few more sources. These were my best ones:
http://gallery2.travellingtwo.com/d/487 ... larbor.pdf
http://www.nullarbornet.com.au/towns/coolgardie.html
http://members.iinet.net.au/~bikefish/f ... #Nullarbor
http://mareebiketouroz.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... dvice.html
http://www.nullarborroadhouse.com.au/ac ... periences/

Frank

frank9755

Postby frank9755 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:56 am

rama wrote:You will be surprised to hear that long-distance racers do not follow a structured training programme like a typical road racer.
They spend a lot of time on their bikes though. Take for example the Belgian rider, Kristof Allegaert, a favourite for any race of this type. His typical weekend score is 500km+, and that's in Belgian weather (strong winds, rain).
Coping with sleep deprivation, harsh weather and pressing on near-bonk conditions are very important factors in long-distance unsupported events. You also need to prepare each race, researching potential spots for naps and supplies.
Yes, that sort of thing.
Kristof rides more than most. But the northern hemisphere guys are coming on the back of winter so most of us won't have done a long ride (>200km) for six months.
There will be a whole lot of variety in the preparation of the people at the IndyPac. For the Transcontinental there were some people who had never ridden more than 200km before, but some of them still did ok - working it out as they went along.
Generally I do quite a bit of audax and time trialling. It helps to have done the odd longer / overnight ride, not for physical training but mental preparation. And a lot of time on a computer looking at the route, supplies, etc. You need to have nutrrition sorted to prevent bonking. And you have to be adaptable: can't find the hotel you booked earlier when you are soaking wet from a thunderstorm at 1am? No problem - just ride a bit further to dry off and find a bus shelter...

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:19 pm

Smithstreet wrote:Can't wait to start 'dot watching'... bring it on. :D
Have you been watching this dot?