2017 Indian Pacific Wheel Race

Smithstreet

Re: 2017 Indian Pacific Wheel Race

Postby Smithstreet » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:20 pm

RonK wrote:
Smithstreet wrote:Can't wait to start 'dot watching'... bring it on. :D
Have you been watching this dot?
I haven't, but I did hear about his crazy adventure. Sleeping in the snow, .... that!!

There really are some hardcore dudes out there.
Major kudos to him.
#wheresthethumbsupsymbol

roller

Postby roller » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:58 pm

i've been watching the dots all day.

it's quite enthralling.
inflammatory statement or idea

rama

Postby rama » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:42 am

Yes, that map with the moving dots is highly addictive!
It looks like the leaders are all heading for Coolgardie to get their first break.
Fremantle-Coolgardie, not bad for a day's bike ride!

roller

Postby roller » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:11 pm

I am just amazed at how far the leaders have done in a day on fully laden bikes in less than ideal weather.

The instagram feed for the race is pretty good, lots of photos and info:

https://www.instagram.com/indianpacificwheelrace/

The indian pacific train leaves this morning, i wonder when ot will catch up to the front runners.
inflammatory statement or idea

rama

Postby rama » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:32 pm

Looks like Caiguna is the target for the second day!

rama

Postby rama » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:52 am

It took around six days (&nights!) for the top guns to reach Adelaide, marking the mid-point in terms of distance. About a dozen riders have withdrawn from the race so far, while the "lantern rouge" is in Caiguna.
The terrain in the second half of the route is more challenging, but getting supplies and proper rest should be easier.

BenGr

Postby BenGr » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:39 pm

Probably best to keep all discussion in the thread in General Discussion.

The pace is astounding. It should drop a bit once they leave Melbourne.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:32 am

RonK wrote:
frank9755 wrote:I'm riding next week. And as part of the international contingent who have not visited Australia before, I'm trying to do as much research as I can beforehand. Are the roadhouses likely to sell out after half a dozen riders, or do they not stock bottled water / packaged cakes, etc?

FWIW making prior arrangements or shipping supplies ahead would be against the rules, but no food for a week and a half would be even more serious!
Yes Frank, this is what I'm alluding to. Not necessarily going to be an issue but better to be aware.

It's been a while since I last crossed, but supplies were patchy and the prices were outrageous. Most roadhouses do have very basic supplies, but I don't know if they would have enough stock to supply all the riders in the event.

Perhaps the organisers will have alerted the roadhouse operators about the event, but that's no guarantee that they'll care. I'm not saying they are all unfriendly but it's not uncommon to encounter a distinct attitude. To give you an idea, don't be surprised to see signs like this.

Bore water is often saline and may not agree with the stomaches of highly stressed atheletes. Bottled water is likely to cost around $7.00 AUD per litre. However the grey nomads are often very accommodating and it would seem to be within the rules to accept some water/food from them.

Also keep in mind that not all roadhouses/kitchens are open 24hours, so if you arrive late at night it may not be possible to obtain supplies or a hot meal.

As a touring cyclist I take notice of the journals posted by other tourists. There are quite a few journals on crazyguyonabike by cyclists who have made the crossing and they are very good sources of information. And another informative journal here. With regard to the wind, you may be interested to look at the BOM wind roses.

There is an IGA supermarket at Norseman which is probably the last until Ceduna. I imagine that they may sell out of energy bars very quickly. :D
We have been watching and see you have almost made it to Adelaide Frank. Great effort, you are going well. Hope you were able to find more to eat across the Nullarbor than Pringles and Tim Tams. :D

Good luck with the rest of the ride. See you in Sydney.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

iacl

Postby iacl » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:08 pm

Extremely sad, today with the passing of Mike Hall this morning. Though I only met him briefly 2 weeks ago, he has been inspiring me for years.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cycling/cha ... vaj79.html

A tragic reminder of how fragile we can all be on our roads, and the need for us all to be aware and respectful of those around us.

Vale Mike Hall

Dodgy-Knee

Postby Dodgy-Knee » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:37 am

iacl wrote:Extremely sad, today with the passing of Mike Hall this morning. Though I only met him briefly 2 weeks ago, he has been inspiring me for years.
He didn't "pass" ... he was killed.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:34 am

Good to see a few of the dots still moving - Shell, for example. Some will be just riding on to the next state capital or major regional centre perhaps, but if you came from OS to ride across OZ I guess you may as well keep going.

Good luck to them all. :)
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:49 am

Given that we have two threads active on this topic, I've locked this one. Please go to the other one for further discussions.

Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....