your rain jacket when touring?

Aushiker

Re: your rain jacket when touring?

Postby Aushiker » Sat May 07, 2016 12:53 pm

The Marmot Minimalist is too heavy for me so I am passing but others might find it good value at US$116.99 via Massdrop.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon May 16, 2016 12:13 pm

I ended up ordering the Macpac Hightail Anorak to trial and it arrived today.

http://www.macpac.com.au/mens/jackets-v ... -mens.html

I made a purchase decision due to struggling to find some of the other options in shops to narrow down sizing.
Macpac had an initial special entry price for the new product (now finished) and I had a discount voucher which brought it down within my price range ($156.59)

I liked that I was able to try on the varies sizes and narrow down a suitable fit.
Being that I'm a fat illegitimate, the jacket being a "slim" fit, I ordered a size up to allow for my gut.

I believe the Showerspass Elite (approx 500g) is a more durable product with superior zips and due to its venting, likely better breathing.
However, being someone who actively avoids riding in rain, I'm hoping to enjoy the advantages of a much lighter (180g) and much less bulky item.
I'll be retaining my Showerspass unit to let expected weather dictate which jacket gets taken.

I'm looking forward to trialling the jacket to determine how dry I can remain whilst enjoying its light weight and small pannier bulk.

My purchase of this rainwear and much lighter down jacket (Macpac Supernova) had reduced my load by over half a kg.
Last edited by rifraf on Mon May 16, 2016 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon May 16, 2016 12:16 pm

rifraf wrote:I'm looking forward to trialling the jacket to determine how dry I can remain whilst enjoying its light weight and small pannier bulk.
Looking forward to your updates on the jacket.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon May 16, 2016 2:41 pm

Aushiker wrote:
rifraf wrote:I'm looking forward to trialling the jacket to determine how dry I can remain whilst enjoying its light weight and small pannier bulk.
Looking forward to your updates on the jacket.
I just did a reread of the Macpac spiel in particular the intriguing, for me anyway, "Internal mesh pocket that jacket stuffs into, making it the smallest and lightest waterproof jacket in our range".

I say intriguing as my initial view in the store failed to spot this "pocket" as did my out of the postal bag eyeball to give a quick visual check for faults or workmanship issues (none found).

After an initial search for the pocket failed to spot it, I nearly wrote it off as having had a potential design change Macpac is infamous for without updating the website (My Supernova down jacket had at least two substantial changes not mentioned on the site i.e. no stuff sack and no "Stretch microfleece panels under the arms for comfort and breathability" ).

Turning the jacket inside out, I was easily able to find the internal pocket and can attest it stuffs into a package around the size of a baseball.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat May 21, 2016 6:52 pm

After exhaustive (exhausting?) research, I have finally selected the Mountain Hardwear Stretch Ozonic as the rain jacket for my bikepacking outfit.

Several other jackets were in the running, including the Marmot Essence and the Outdoor Research Helium. These jacket both rate highly for lightness and packability, but I had reservations that the cut and the sizing would be a good fit for me.

So I have opted for the Stretch Ozonic, which whilst not quite as minimalist, is still quite light and very packable, and the sizing and stretch fabric is a little more accommodating.

A Fiery Red number is on its way from REI - on sale right now at $US139.93 (but the current fx rate will slay you).
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun May 22, 2016 11:37 pm

RonK wrote:After exhaustive (exhausting?) research, I have finally selected the Mountain Hardwear Stretch Ozonic as the rain jacket for my bikepacking outfit.
Another one to add to my list of possibilities. Looking forward to hearing how you find it.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon May 23, 2016 3:28 pm

Another one to add to the options mix ... the forthcoming Alpkit Gravitas. Weighs in at 160g for the medium.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed May 25, 2016 11:56 pm

Now this new jacket by Columbia (and I think Goretex has or is rushing out a similar material), the OutDry Ex Diamond is very interesting.

Andrew Skurka has some interesting comments on the material and "waterproof" jackets in general.

Gear Junkie has a first look at the jacket as well.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri May 27, 2016 5:35 pm

Torpedo 7 have the Endura FS260 Pro Adrenaline Race Cape for sale at $89.99.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:41 am

RonK wrote:After exhaustive (exhausting?) research, I have finally selected the Mountain Hardwear Stretch Ozonic as the rain jacket for my bikepacking outfit.

Several other jackets were in the running, including the Marmot Essence and the Outdoor Research Helium. These jacket both rate highly for lightness and packability, but I had reservations that the cut and the sizing would be a good fit for me.

So I have opted for the Stretch Ozonic, which whilst not quite as minimalist, is still quite light and very packable, and the sizing and stretch fabric is a little more accommodating.

A Fiery Red number is on its way from REI - on sale right now at $US139.93 (but the current fx rate will slay you).
The jacket arrived yesterday and first impressions are very good. It meets my expectations as to fit. It has room for air to circulate under without being loose and flappy. It fits nicely over the Ghost Whisperer down jacket, and the hood is roomy enough to go over a bike helmet.

Some things that did surprise are the "feel" of the fabric. It's quite soft, almost like a very thin soft shell jacket. And it has a rugged looking wide-toothed zip. Very pleased about these.

As an aside, both the Ozonic and the Ghost Whisperer are designed to be stowed into their own pocket, but I think they would both pack even smaller into XXS stuff sacks.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:52 pm

Another lightweight option, the LightHeart Gear rain jacket ... don't expect to much breathability but.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:21 pm

Mountain Hardwear Stretch Ozonic stuffs easily into a SeatoSummit XXS Silnylon stuff sack to make a smaller bundle than stuffing it into its dedicated storage pocket.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:12 pm

RonK wrote:Mountain Hardwear Stretch Ozonic stuffs easily into a SeatoSummit XXS Silnylon stuff sack to make a smaller bundle than stuffing it into its dedicated storage pocket.
Bonus :)

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:58 pm

Aushiker wrote:Another lightweight option, the LightHeart Gear rain jacket ... don't expect to much breathability but.
Proofed nylon ?? We sorta dealt with that gear and the issues back in the '80s. I'll stick to my Carradice rain-cape instead :? :|
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:59 am

Most of those rain jackets above are very pretty indeed.

Tomorrow, I'm starting my traditional winter tour. This time I'm heading back to the Riverena and the SW Slopes of NSW specifically to see Cocapara National Park. Then North to Hillston, East across to the Weddin Mountains National Park then back to the ACT. I'll stick to and camp on the TSRs. The Travelling Stock Routes and Reserves of New South Wales.

I'll be using Ronstan sailing gear, both top and bottom and a cape if or when needed. I certainly won't be looking as pretty as some do in my gear. You can't beat sailing gear for serious wet and cold weather protection.

Winter is coming ... and so is the rain, heaps of it.

Warren.
Last edited by WarrenH on Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:06 am

il padrone wrote:
Aushiker wrote:Another lightweight option, the LightHeart Gear rain jacket ... don't expect to much breathability but.
Proofed nylon ?? We sorta dealt with that gear and the issues back in the '80s. I'll stick to my Carradice rain-cape instead :? :|
We may not have moved on that much at all with questions now being raised about "DWR" for example. e.g, this post at Section Hiker and this one. There are more discussions around the place for those interested enough to track them down.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:27 pm

My new rain jacket arrived today, a RAB Flashpoint which weighs in on my scales at 218 grams for the large size which is within specification [Ultralight Outdoor Gear is far more honest about weights than RAB is]. The jacket looks well made, has some nice features to allow for adjusting for the hood, waist and cuffs and has a nice feel to it. A couple of possible negatives are: The hood does not pack away but then I suspect I will be using it if I have the jacket on. It is also claimed to be helmet compatible. The other negative is it is not long at the back. This will be probably be okay for me on the Salsa Mukluk which has an upright riding position but maybe not for others. I guess the trade off in not getting a bike specific rain jacket.

It packs down nicely into its own stuff sack, which is really nice and small: I can easily hold it in my hand.

Looking forward to putting this jacket to the test.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:34 pm

Massdrop have the Outdoor Research Helium II jacket as a drop. Differently a jacket to consider if you are into bikepacking and/or lightweight touring. The drop price is US$105 + US$10.75 shipping.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:02 pm

Big rain-hoods are generally a waste of fabric for a cycling jacket in my opinion, and can be quite dangerous in traffic. Hoods rarely work well with a helmet. I use jackets without any hood, and use a Showerspass Portland bill waterproof breathable cap worn under the helmet, and for off-the-bike activities too. Except in the depths of winter when a Watership Trading Company waxed-cotton brim hat gets used (for walking only).

The Watership Trading Company's 'Cape Flattery' waxed-cotton hat
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

avolve

Postby avolve » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:04 pm

Aushiker wrote:Massdrop have the Outdoor Research Helium II jacket as a drop. Differently a jacket to consider if you are into bikepacking and/or lightweight touring. The drop price is US$105 + US$10.75 shipping.

I purchased one of these a few months back. Not had much use, so can't comment too much on breathability as yet. As with all rain jackets I have tried, could be more...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:40 pm

Massdrop have a drop on the Outdoor Research Helium HD at what looks like a good price but in limited colours. Price is ~ AU$167 delivered.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun May 21, 2017 11:22 am

The Mountain Hardwear Ghost Lite is available at Massdrop for ~ AU$106 in your hot little hand. It is not getting much love but so maybe check carefully if this is a good deal.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun May 21, 2017 3:39 pm

RonK wrote:Mountain Hardwear Stretch Ozonic stuffs easily into a SeatoSummit XXS Silnylon stuff sack to make a smaller bundle than stuffing it into its dedicated storage pocket.

I've just returned from a month long tour of NZ where the Mountain Hardwear Stretch Ozonic kept me dry and comfortable through the heavy rain delivered by two cyclones.

The hood fitted snugly over my helmet - in fact the jacket fitted snugly overall and doesn't flap about, but the fabric has enough stretch that it is very comfortable even with my arms extended in the riding position.

The pit zips are not very long but ventilation was quite adequate in the conditions.

Several motorists remarked that the bright red colour was very visible and seemed almost fluorescent from a distance.

And with its small packed size it fit easily in my handlebar bag.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed May 24, 2017 9:16 pm

RonK wrote:[
I've just returned from a month long tour of NZ where the Mountain Hardwear Stretch Ozonic kept me dry and comfortable through the heavy rain delivered by two cyclones.

The hood fitted snugly over my helmet - in fact the jacket fitted snugly overall and doesn't flap about, but the fabric has enough stretch that it is very comfortable even with my arms extended in the riding position.

The pit zips are not very long but ventilation was quite adequate in the conditions.

Several motorists remarked that the bright red colour was very visible and seemed almost fluorescent from a distance.

And with its small packed size it fit easily in my handlebar bag.
Sounds a great result.
If it kept you dry in the soak pit that is NZ, she's a keeper.

My Macpac jacket has done well as far as points on waterproof-ness and light weight and small packaging.

I do have to watch the level of exertion though as it lacks the ventilation pits of other models so need to layer with this in mind and use less on underneath to avoid a build up of perspiration.

I'm ok with this as by nature I'll do just about anything to avoid riding in rain and the jacket is pretty much for when a lack of choices dictate moving on. :)

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu May 25, 2017 9:44 am

Massdrop have the Outdoor Research Helium II back as a drop ...AU$144 on your back.