Stoves and Cookwear

}SkOrPn--7

Re: Stoves and Cookwear

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:42 pm

rifraf wrote:
G'day Ricky,
One good thing about the Omnilite is that it has the option to run on propane/butane as well as the more petroleum based liquid fuels so its likely I'll always find something it can burn to heat my meals and beverages.

Now that is something I didn't know Aidan those things truly are universal.

I'll do a search a little later to see what the pack a feather is, as I'm not familiar with that one.

http://packafeather.com/xlstove.html I have this one it's just over 3 inches diameter that is one of the reasons I got this one it's compact with a little stability. The other reason was the flame controller having that 6 inch wire makes for easy adjustment when the stove is loaded up plus the stoves over all performance is excellent.

I've read of a theory I'm inclined to believe, that the Omnilites titanium is so thin that it doesn't hold the heat well and increases the heat up time in priming until its hot enough to adequately vaporise the varies fuels enough for flare free ignition.

That makes sense on initial start but even the MSR if you ark it up too soon before preheat is up to speec you have flames and poor performance.

Its not bad once its up and running. Its no Optimus 111T in output, but then its a mere fraction of the 111's weight.

That floating pricker is a great idea and even the Optimus stoves turn the handle anti clockwise to push a needle worked well.
I've not had (yet) any need to worry about jet blockage, but its inevitable eventually and Murphy's law suggests its going to happen at a time like your apt description of least convenience and in the dark :lol: :lol:

The stove isn't so bad at night its the stupid pump on the bottle that will prick ears when the language becomes harsh doing that in the dark.

Trawling through eBay suggests I'm not the only one less than enamoured with the roarer burner and there has been some attempts to cater for those of us who prefer to attempt to tune into their surrounds in peace as opposed to the feeling of closing ones eyes and receiving a vision of being as one with an international airport :lol: :lol:

I spotted:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Silent-Cap-D ... SwYIhWlwDZ

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/QUIETSTOVE-S ... xybetSDCzq

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Primus-Silen ... SwZ8ZW7Dar

Ah ok that's basicly a muffler or silencer not a bad idea playing around with making one you could almost find the sweet spot canceling the noise while not affecting heat output.

from my first peruse.

Looking at http://classiccampstoves.com site, there is some interesting, to me at least, threads amongst which someone has added a Kovea burner head to their Omnilite stove and also a thread showing how to add the Omnilite burner to a Trangia which I found interesting reading.

Good link but I think I have to sign up clicking links takes you to a sign in page so it can't be an open forum. Lots of time coulc be spent reading there.

I'll report back when I've learnt more
Cheers Aidan

Ricky

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:47 pm

rifraf wrote:Ricky, you might find the MSR references in this thread of interest:

http://classiccampstoves.com/threads/ne ... rea.33232/

It appears should you wish to explore damping down the decibels of the MSR units, it now appears to be possible to some degree
After your reply before this one Aidan I see what there doing and could easily knock one up for the MSR. The only thing is the amount of time it would take to make and fine tune to get the sweet spot in all probability I would live with the hiss.

Ricky

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:09 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:
rifraf wrote:Ricky, you might find the MSR references in this thread of interest:

http://classiccampstoves.com/threads/ne ... rea.33232/

It appears should you wish to explore damping down the decibels of the MSR units, it now appears to be possible to some degree
After your reply before this one Aidan I see what there doing and could easily knock one up for the MSR. The only thing is the amount of time it would take to make and fine tune to get the sweet spot in all probability I would live with the hiss.

Ricky
Having seen the type of projects you undertake Ricky, I'm sure you've a well equiped workshop.

Alas my move back to Australia saw me have to take the decision to part ways with my tools that I had built up.

Now all I have is an extremely basic collection that has me constantly going to the garage to get something, only to remember upon getting there that I no longer own...... e.g. digital vernier etc.

With my lost love of LBS, it can make for some frustration.

I did have what appears to be a little luck last night.

I've been wanting for some time, to be able to create for my Trangia a multi-fuel burner kit.

The interest was aroused after seeing many years ago, Trangia units with Optimus Cobra (111T) units mounted in place of the meths burner.

The easy and cheap availability of the Optimus burners has long passed and although mildly tempted to experiment with the Trangia gas unit, I didn't feel it added enough versatility to make the effort worthwhile.

I very much liked the idea of the relatively newish, when I first looked, Trangia X2 multi-fuel burner, given that they allowed for a wide option for available fuel consideration including gas (butane/propane).

Back in the day, when I first spotted the X2, the price was out of this world and despite their apparent convenience, I struggled to see the bang for buck, given the purchase price would afford me many more items of more immediate need than a mere want.

There is a factory fit converter to add an Optimus burner into a Trangia which I did consider.

Late last night I came across a converter, which appears to be a factory unit to add the multi-fuel X2 into the Trangia.

Knowing it would make for a nice factory looking fit for my Primus Omnilite as a conversion, I pondered and then bit the bullet.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/142029151833?

The Optimus converter would have worked but for me, wasn't acceptable aesthetically in its finish.

The above eBay unit will be a cost effective way of reaching fruition of an idea I'd seen other stove-heads achieve with bigger budgets than mine.

The Trangia on metho is an ample and great little unit and enough to tour the world with.

I simply wanted something a little more inspiring to cater to my desire to tinker and toy with.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:45 pm

Aidan I feel your pain mate giving up your tool collection because of relocation that must have sucked. Hurts even more knowing you once owned a particular tool but cant duck down to the shed to grab it. Looking foward to seeing your burner once you get a hold of that Trangia Multi Burner Cap and a fairly cheap upgrade as well. It's funny Aidan there are many things I will tinker with or make but for some reason stoves have never been one and yet here you are doing that very thing just awesome. I still have a old alcohol stove I use went there is a power failure must be 50 years or more old now and it's a ripper if it wasn't so heavy and bulky I would take it with me metho burners just work so well and simple.

Ricky

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:40 pm

One for the Kovea fans (well maybe ... as always it is recommended you do your research to determine if the pricing is good etc). Massdrop have a drop on a Kovea Supalite Stove at US$45.00. Seems a popular drop so I am guessing the price is good.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:32 pm

Aushiker wrote:Image

One for the Kovea fans (well maybe ... as always it is recommended you do your research to determine if the pricing is good etc). Massdrop have a drop on a Kovea Supalite Stove at US$45.00. Seems a popular drop so I am guessing the price is good.
Looked at that one Andrew but decided on the Spider liked it more because it's design was similar to the MSR I use plus I prefer the option of tipping over the canister.

Ricky

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:29 pm

I'm a trangia user but several years ago bought a secondhand Coleman F1 for $15. Seems pretty good but has had minimal use. One thing I'm not keen on is the height of the pot seems a bit precarious when set up. Are there after market stands that allow you to lower similar stoves and use a hose connection to gas bottle?

This review seems positive with comparisons.
https://backpackinglight.com/coleman_ou ... ve_review/

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:08 pm

Leaf T wrote:I'm a trangia user but several years ago bought a secondhand Coleman F1 for $15. Seems pretty good but has had minimal use. One thing I'm not keen on is the height of the pot seems a bit precarious when set up. Are there after market stands that allow you to lower similar stoves and use a hose connection to gas bottle?

This review seems positive with comparisons.
https://backpackinglight.com/coleman_ou ... ve_review/
G'day LeafT,
looks like a great price on a great little blast furnace.
Excellent review.

If it was merely stability you were looking for a canister base stand similar to the
http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/stove ... nd/product
of which I use for my pocket rocket.

Perhaps the BCF offering would offer a cheaper fuelling whilst aiding stability?
http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/prod ... mentions

I've yet to see any after market stands with hose connections but the classic camp stove website has a "Fettling" forum where some hotrodding of stoves takes place.
I'm yet to peruse it in much depth.
http://classiccampstoves.com/#classic-stove-chat.34

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:47 am

Thanks I'll look into it. I would imagine there is something that allows this because it's a standard fitting so at it's most basic it could be a hose with the same connector at each end.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:10 pm

Markill and Brunton have both made stove base adapters in the past, but neither is available anymore - probably because it would be almost as cheap to buy a Kovea Spider.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:13 pm

Yeah I like the Kovea spider design but I'm yet to be converted from the trangia. Part of the avoidance is due to not knowing how long a cannister lasts and also the fact that it can't be refilled so I presume it becomes landfill. Cost of fuel might be a concern too for longer trips.

avolve

Postby avolve » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:34 pm

Leaf T wrote:Yeah I like the Kovea spider design but I'm yet to be converted from the trangia. Part of the avoidance is due to not knowing how long a cannister lasts and also the fact that it can't be refilled so I presume it becomes landfill. Cost of fuel might be a concern too for longer trips.
The landfill Q, and already having a functional Whisperlite, are holding me back from a spider as well...

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:53 pm

avolve wrote:
Leaf T wrote:Yeah I like the Kovea spider design but I'm yet to be converted from the trangia. Part of the avoidance is due to not knowing how long a cannister lasts and also the fact that it can't be refilled so I presume it becomes landfill. Cost of fuel might be a concern too for longer trips.
The landfill Q, and already having a functional Whisperlite, are holding me back from a spider as well...
There is no need for canisters to go in landfill. Like any steel can they are recyclable.

Once empty pierce the canister with tool such as the Jetboil Crunchit, a screwdriver, whatever, crush and put in the recycling bin.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:27 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: my little Kovea Spider arrived in the mail today always nice to see things for yourself in the flesh. Suprised how tiny it is and how lite. Nice lenght on the braided hose plus simple locking legs and the fuild control is smooth and easy to operate. Tomorrow I will pull my MSR whisperlite out and Kovea to do some real world comparisons. Just looking at the spider I think the MSR has a slightly bigger footprint but will know tomorrow when I get a side by side comparison but for being compact and lite the Spider wins in that department.

Ricky

avolve

Postby avolve » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:47 am

}SkOrPn--7 wrote::mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: my little Kovea Spider arrived in the mail today always nice to see things for yourself in the flesh. Suprised how tiny it is and how lite. Nice lenght on the braided hose plus simple locking legs and the fuild control is smooth and easy to operate. Tomorrow I will pull my MSR whisperlite out and Kovea to do some real world comparisons. Just looking at the spider I think the MSR has a slightly bigger footprint but will know tomorrow when I get a side by side comparison but for being compact and lite the Spider wins in that department.

Ricky
Look forward to reading it. Photo's appreciated too!

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:32 pm

Well today I was able to do some testing and take some images of the new Kovea Spider and MSR Whisperlite International side by side. Unfortunately I was unable to do a boil test as I had no fuel for the MSR when I went to the cupboard so will have to add that later. I just used normal tap water doing the test in my workshop on the work table with all doors closed so no draft at all.

Just having the two units in there supplied bags side by side is funny because MSR does supply allot more bag product than needed while the Kovea only just fits the stove inside they didn't want to shell out a penny more.

As you can tell there is a big size difference but allot of that bulk is taken up with the MSR's rim detent which houses the burner head. One nice feature of the Kovea is the long and supple braided hose makes for placing a canister and keeping it there easy. The MSR braided hose is thicker allot stiffer and as you can see is allot shorter. Now having said all that your comparing apples to oranges unless you have used both. The MSR uses a bottle with pump which means it doesn't matter how you place the bottle it just lays on the ground. If you could hook up a canister to the MSR the hose being so short and stiff there would be no way in hell of keeping that canister where you want it either the canister would flip the stove or stove flip the canister. The Kovea braided hose is long and supple so where you plonk the canister both the stove and canister stays put.

The footprint of the MSR is bigger by about 25mm so not much in it but for me personally I prefer the larger footprint and all up the leg system on the MSR is allot stiffer more solid very little flex. I think over time using the Kovea those little insecurities will vanish but for me not the smaller footprint.

While I was at it I also purchased the Kovea adaptor that allows me to use the portable gas stoves canisters that I have come to know lurk in just about any outback dive I have come across as backup. Pleased to say it's easy to use with a smooth locking action and best of all no leakage so all good on that front.

First of all I hooked it up to the home portable gas canister using the adaptor and below image it's fired up at full revs no issues there. The Kovea is allot more quieter than the MSR at full bore which doesn't bother me but it's nice that it is.

This image is on simmer using the above canister so all up it really has good control and the gas flow adjuster is smooth to operate and that is better than the MSR. You have to be careful when adjusting the flow on the MSR it's not as smooth to operate and being a short hose plus stiff you don't want to knock the thing it pulls your stove with the meal on top so you do need to be a little careful.

Now I switched over to the normal Butane canister most would be traveling with and again no issues top image at full bore and the bottom image on simmer you can see a slightly different flame a deeper blue/purple compared to the home stove gas canister.

As an extra bonus Kovea include a piezo Igniter with the stove which also fits in that tiny bag along with the stove you can see it laying in the images above at the start. Now I have read many have trouble lighting the stove using it and to some degree I would agree it's not the best or most fool proof. However the best way I found to ignite the stove using the supplied piezo Igniter is turn on the gas half a turn and hold the piezo as I did in the image below following the contour of the burner head touching it. 7 times out of ten it fired up but if you just turn the gas on and willy-nilly hit the button on the igniter near the burner head it was tough to get it ignited. I personally hate the things and to be honest very hard to light a fire using one so why bother carrying it.

This is my preferred method a fire starter flint and using it the stove kicked into life first time every time so that piezo is junk. MSR has a piezo igniter I have never used it so can't comment but both brands look identical to each other.

Kovea Piezo Igniter

MSR Piezo Igniter

Well my test is done in my favourite mug filled with tap water 1 inch below the rim using the butane canister most touring folks would use. During that test I ensured the mug had a cold start when I refilled it both times by running the mug under water to try and get even temperature and ignited the stove when the mug was sitting on top.

Hit rolling boil in 4 minutes 37 seconds on full bore.

Hit rolling boil in 7 minutes 17 seconds on half throttle.

The amount of water in the mug 1 inch from the rim was 500mls

The two types of canisters I used and the canister on the left in the image did the boil tests.

MSR Whisperlite International bag weights 29g and the stove 280g.

Kovea Spider bag weights 10g and the stove 171g.

Pushing down on the centre of the burner head both stoves there legs splay a little but the area that your cooking pot sits the MSR doesn't move where as the Kovea bend in and downwards causing pot shifting but who would ever do that to upset your hot pot. I did it just to see which was more solid and MSR is.

I really like my MSR it has been in and through some of the most rugged and hostile terrain along with weather conditions and never has it let me down. Preheating is messy you need to be careful not to spill fuel and the preheat does leave soot over your stove as you can see in the images which when handling transfer to me but living rough not an issue. It requires maintenance kits and from time to time a clean out of the fuel line to obtain maximum heat from the burner head this goes for the pump as well. Run out of your favourite fuel that is clean and not oily you need to change the jets to switch over to other fuels which are easy to come by even in remote locations. Using the fuels that have oil content in them does become smelly but if you use the cleaner fuels there ok on the nose. If you plan to do a long tour your going to have to lug those maintenance kits with you even if you break them down from there supplied plastic box to condense them. Yeah ok replace the parts before you go on tour but that doesn't help you in the field if a brand new "O" ring goes and you don't have spares so what I'm getting at is with MSR your carrying a little extra weight and space is being consumed. The Kovea on the other had at this stage appears to be maintenance free butane gas is clean and not messy I haven't got down and dirty to strip the Kovea down yet to see the inner workings but just looking doesn't appear to need anything to keep it running in the repair stakes.

Taking the MSR above the snow line isn't an issue it burns well and maintains good flame control doesn't matter how you leave your bottle so long at the fuel pump weight is submerged in the liquid in the fuel bottle.

Now having said that the Kovea is also designed to go above the snow line by simply inverting your canister and it can rest on the somewhat small platform that connects to the canister and has the fuel flow control. Find what ever you can to help support it or buy a proper inverted canister holder.

In order to get the home stove gas canister to work best from not being stood upright it has to lay down in this configuration as show in the image otherwise your going to flame out but more on that later.

Now this is interesting because Kovea carry on that you can flip your canister for cold weather use but testing today I found flipping the canister over gave poor performance. The burner head flame splutters it doesn't respond well to flame control and if you go to simmer mode your going to flame out. Lets be honest you can't get simmer mode turning the control down to gain simmer it flames out and to keep a working flame it requires to much gas and in effect you can't simmer not to mention all the spluttering. My stove doesn't have control flipping the canister it's erratic spluttering flame and while on high it splutters you at least can get something to boil but try cocking on it your going to have burnt offerings if you don't keep your eyes on it. Just out of interest the home stove gas canister displayed the same behaviour when flipped upside down or laid in any other position. It still spluttered even in the sweat spot of side placement as seen in the image above and those cans are designed to fit a home stove like that. Place both canister upright and you gain back a beautiful working controllable stove.

Do I have a problem stove?

Ron any chance you can flip and test yours?

The above problem aside from canister flipping I'm impressed with the workshop results and I have no fear this stove will be just as robust and serve me well in all conditions but I'm going to have to investigate the extreme cold weather elevation side of things before I become 100% happy.

Once I get some fuel I will do a comparison on boil times for the MSR and come back here with the results.

Ricky

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:16 pm

Hi Ricky,
not sure if its pertinent but I seem to recall somewhere the recommendation to keep the "tab" on that adapter in a certain direction.

I'm thinking it was in the 12 O'clock position as per your pic, but I assume that for you its still problematic.

Its likely going to take me some time of web perusal in an attempt to find the page I'm waffling about but I will search for it.

I have a sneaking suspicion that it actually on a review site for the spider but my memory does play tricks on me, likely due to a brain injury many years ago.

Glad your enjoying your new stove.

I'm still awaiting my adapter for my proposed Primus Omnilite/Trangia conversion.
Its arrived at Perth and I assume yet to pass customs inspection.
I'm sure not long to go now.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:49 pm

Here it is Ricky,

Bohwaz had left the link in one of his posts.
That quoted link doesn't appear to be working so try this one:
http://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com ... rning.html

No suggestion its connected with your issue but on the off chance it might, as well as the links warning, I think you may find the link makes for interesting reading "if" you've not come across it before.

I've ordered a Kovea adapter the same, not trusting the mass produced items on eBay made in China.
Last edited by rifraf on Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:08 am

Hi Aiden that's makes sense to have that notch in that position it's the way they lay in those other stoves and it was the sweet spot that I found it to work best. I never got it to flare up like that link you gave me with me turning and using at all angles but that link was a good read. I agree if your going to use those canisters they work perfectly standing vertical and you will need a support to stop canister rolling. I think you have made a wise choice getting the adaptor that's not a knock off Chinese mine is perfect can't fault that.

On the Spider issue of it not working well on inverted canisters I was doing a search last night to try and find a solution and I did. It appears that every now and then a lemon leaves the factory and has this issue and Kovea have been extremely good at handling the problem. I contacted them last night and within an hour had a reply a new one will be sent out so that right there is good customer service.

I'm still interested to hear from Ron if he has tested his inverted and found his ok or doesn't know of the issue because he hasn't used it inverted yet.

I'm looking forward to your feedback on your Primus Omnilite/Trangia conversion and thanks for that link that is a must read for anyone thinking of buying or using that adaptor.

Ricky

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:17 am

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Do I have a problem stove?

Ron any chance you can flip and test yours?

The above problem aside from canister flipping I'm impressed with the workshop results and I have no fear this stove will be just as robust and serve me well in all conditions but I'm going to have to investigate the extreme cold weather elevation side of things before I become 100% happy.

Once I get some fuel I will do a comparison on boil times for the MSR and come back here with the results.
No - just an inexperienced user I suspect. But does seem like you have some serious nit-picking going on. :wink:

My igniter works first time, every time. I don't bother taking a fire steel any more. Can't see what your problem is.

I have used my Spider many times with the canister inverted. Before it can be inverted the stove (vapourisation tube) must be hot. If not then you will get some sputtering.

There will be some flare-up when the canister is first inverted, so it is best to adjust to a low flame first. The flame will settle down fairly quickly. Flame control becomes more sensitive but that is what you get when liquid fuel is injected. I see the same with my Snow Peak GigaPower BF stove.

Canister inverted, low flame.

Canister inverted, high flame.

Re your comments about a few millimetres difference in the width of the trivet, and about it bending by pressing down on it. Here is my Spider with a 10 litre pot of water on the trivet. Not looking unstable or likely to collapse.

I am bemused by this preoccupation with boil times. To the best of my knowledge, water boiling is not a sport. :)

I never burn my stove at full throttle, to do so is simply a waste of fuel. And with that dixie you are using, much of the heat output is going straight up into the air.

But if you must compare boil times with your Whisperlite then it is appropriate to start the timer when you first light the stove - i.e. preheating time should be included.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:33 pm

Maybe Ron some nit picking but just telling it like it is as for my Piezo I don't think much of it the thing doesn't work as well as I thought it should and the spark is bugger all which I think is part of the problem. Because were different campers a flint is a must for me well in reality for me it's a multi tool so no need for a piezo. Your right on boiling times it doesn't matter it is what it is but some like to know and I can't use my heat ring in a quick review it's cheating plus adds weight which many would bulk at. My heat ring doesn't allow the flame to go unused it heats my Dixie fast I just did the review in what I would normally use and carry minus that as most do carry round mugs and pans.

Pulled my stove apart today and there isn't much in it real easy to do just got to be mindful of the two tiny screws and two springs. Flushed the line and cleaned the jet and still splutters badly and poor control with a inverted canister so I will just wait for the replacement searching the net tells me it's an issue in some cases and those that have had it replaced it's been fixed so hoping I'm one them.

Ricky

TonyB

Postby TonyB » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:10 pm

Great stuff Ricky,

Be careful playing around with bushwalking stoves can be very addictive. I played around testing and making stoves a few years ago, below are a few links to some posts I did on stoves on Bushwalk Australia forum.

Tony

Stoves systems weight comparisons http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2502
Some Trangia gas stove windscreen tests http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7367
MYOG Remote canister Stove http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=7637
Efficiency of Methylated Spirits/Water mixtures http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1440
Titanium cooking pots are they a waste of money http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4916
Some stove windscreen test results http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 794#p29122

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:30 am

Holy crap Tony thanks for the links great reading you certainly spent some time putting all that together I found your Titanium cooking pots segment interesting as I have never owned anything made from titanium. Mine has always been aluminium and stainless they have served me well and I could never justify the cost and because weight doesn't bother me saving that little extra also couldn't justify the cost. I found your fuel comparisons to be interesting and that the Kovea stood out which turns out good for me now. With the MSR I always carried a packafeather as backup or use for quick brew making the whisperlite was annoying for that. Now that I have the Spider it's going to be easy so I'm going to retire that fellow and no longer carry. I also liked your windshield segment I'm lazy I just plonk my food pannier in the best spot to create a windbreak. Again thanks for the links Tony I don't think I have the patients to test in depth the way you present them.

Ricky

TonyB

Postby TonyB » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:23 pm

Hi Ricky,

Thanks, a few years ago I did spend a lot of time playing with bushwalking stoves, I am a machinist and I worked in a fluid dynamics research lab and measuring temperature in water was one of my expertise's, so making, modifying and testing stoves was not that hard for me. I am a big fan of Kovea stoves, my Supalite has performed flawlessly over many years even though I have modified it, my other favourite stove is a JetBoil Sol Al, super efficient, very fast, light and easy to use.

As RonK mentioned fast boiling is not efficient boiling, I have also done a lot of testing on what pot size and materials are the best, forget Stainless and Hard anodised Al, they are too heavy, for boiling 500-1000 mls of water, the ideal pot size is around 150 mm and the most efficient time to boil is around 6 minutes to raise 500ml of water from 20C to 100C at an ambient temp of around 15-25C.

Tony

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:55 pm

For those with a taste for titanium Massdrop are back again with their titanium offerings, the Vargo Titanium BOT 700 this time or this at again? Anyway lowest price is looking to be around the AU$102.00 mark. As always it pays to check the pricing and in particular the offerings at Alliexpress.com.