Alternative to the Schlumf Mountain Drive?

rifraf

Alternative to the Schlumf Mountain Drive?

Postby rifraf » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:04 am

The new FSA Patterson front shift crankset that gives
a 1.6 multiplication using planetary gears.
http://pattersonbike.com/products/
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Baalzamon

Re: Alternative to the Schlumf Mountain Drive?

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:49 am

And a damn sight cheaper as well. I was considering a Schlumpf drive for my Thorn, but after looking at gearing I found I would only get 4 new gears (AT) $200 each. No way was I prepared to shell out for that especially since the new gears were the higher gears. But the 28t chainring does undercut rohloff specs nicely as well so not an option either for me.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:00 pm

Baalzamon wrote:And a damn sight cheaper as well. I was considering a Schlumpf drive for my Thorn, but after looking at gearing I found I would only get 4 new gears (AT) $200 each. No way was I prepared to shell out for that especially since the new gears were the higher gears. But the 28t chainring does undercut rohloff specs nicely as well so not an option either for me.
A rider from another forum recently wrote to ask about different chain ring options
Response:

"It may be a while before the factory in Taiwan tools up larger CRs, but I may
be able to get some made locally if I can consolidate requests.

What size(s) do you think would be best?

I can't promise when they might be available, but I am working on it.

I designed the spline / snapring mounting system to allow easy removal and
replacement of various CRs.

Thankyou very much for your interest!!!"

Reply:

"I told him a 39 or 40 tooth would likely work ."

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:33 pm

Someone pointed out an interesting (IMHO) review of the Patterson Transmission :D
http://www.bicycletimesmag.com/content/ ... ansmission

Theres some great pics!

icicic

Postby icicic » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:14 am

Baalzamon wrote:And a damn sight cheaper as well. I was considering a Schlumpf drive for my Thorn, but after looking at gearing I found I would only get 4 new gears (AT) $200 each. No way was I prepared to shell out for that especially since the new gears were the higher gears. But the 28t chainring does undercut rohloff specs nicely as well so not an option either for me.

Hey Baalzamon,
I've also been thinking about pairing a Schlumpf Drive with my Rohloff, on a heavy duty cargo bike. Thanks for this info. What do you mean though re undercutting "rohloff specs"

Cheers,
Rik

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:26 pm

icicic wrote:

Hey Baalzamon,
I've also been thinking about pairing a Schlumpf Drive with my Rohloff, on a heavy duty cargo bike. Thanks for this info. What do you mean though re undercutting "rohloff specs"

Cheers,
Rik
I suspect that Baalzamon was referring to the specs for Rohloff hubs back in 2012 back when this thread was started was along the lines of a minimum 40T ring for the 16T sprocket if memory serves.
This was adjusted to the present standards of 34T/18T, I think RonK mentioned with the advent of 29ers.

https://www.rohloff.de/fileadmin/user_u ... _en_fr.pdf

Torque is the enemy of IGH's and often sited as the reasons for their failure, indeed Rohloff offer two acceptable minimum ratios with the lower one being suitable for riders under 100kg.

Not sure if it helps but you can find the various Schlumph manuals here: http://www.schlumpfdrive.com/index.php/ ... s-243.html

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:12 am

WOW old thread revival here.
Never happened, but there are trikes out there with rohloffs and schlumph, just need to get the ratios right for torque as rifraf stated
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810