New Vivente - I am excited

ridingboots

New Vivente - I am excited

Postby ridingboots » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:37 pm

Wee bit excited I just picked up a brand new Vivente Anatolia and Good Friday we are heading to Bright so will be able to do lots of test rides.

Thank you for all your help and pointer as I posted a month ago about second hand Vivente. :D

RonK

Re: New Vivente - I am excited

Postby RonK » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:49 pm

Yeah - you sound like a new parent. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Congrats - you will love it I'm sure.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Tim

Postby Tim » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:01 pm

Brand new eh! :D
Well done.
Buying my Vivente was one of the best life decisions I ever made.
Hope it's the same for you.
Good luck and keep us posted.

ridingboots

Postby ridingboots » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:04 pm

Never seen so many things that come with a bike.... all the tools and lots of goodies.... want to pack my bags and go for ride but have to work tomorrow

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:02 am

Yes, that is why we have been telling cyclists that the VWR is the best bang for your buck touring bike your money can buy.

Take your time to ease into touring mode. It takes quite a different mindset to slow down to an easy "smell the flowers" touring pace.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:01 am

Congrats on the New Vivente, you won't be sorry...they are a fantastic bike.....they're not the lightest thing around but stronger than a donkey....and a wee bit faster :lol:

I'm eventually going to sell my 2013 model and buy a brand new one.....I'm seriously contemplating getting the Patagonia with the barend shifters because they have the Hydraulic disc brakes which Noel McFarlane reckons are the ducks nuts.

Happy riding with your new steed.....it'll outlast you if you look after it.... :)

cheers

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

Stuntman

Postby Stuntman » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:12 pm

Congratulations. Great bike
Vivente Randoneur SHB, Focus Paralane, Giant Anyroad, Merida Big Nine, 1990 Miyata 414, 1978 Peugeot Mixte, Brumby Tandem,

Gray

Postby Gray » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:57 pm

I must weigh in on this one, my wife and I have been touring for about four years. we bought a Fuji touring bike each. I decided I wanted something better to hopefully ride into my retirement, I bought a Vivente Swabia.
My wife thought I was mad spending that much cash on a bicycle, but boy, when I got on it...wow! Worth every penny.

What makes it special for me is the Rohloff hub and Gates Carbon Drive. These work together so well to provide a smooth ride with less effort. I've never been too clever at adjusting the de-railer :) which has always been source of grief for me, especially when flying.
So goodbye derailleur, goodbye greasy chain and good riddance!

I've never seen a bike bought "off the shelf" that is so complete for touring - just add Ortlieb and hit the road!
I did however immediately change the saddle, not that there is anything wrong with the standard one, but I particularly love https://selleanatomica.com/ leather saddles. My backside is very fond of them.

When my wife saw the "it's SO shiny" bike, and realised thatI could now thrash her on the hills, of course - she wanted one too. We only have to wait a while, they are in such demand.
I congratulate Noel McFarlane for his passion and expertise in putting together what is for me the perfect touring bike.

ridingboots

Postby ridingboots » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:45 pm

Thank you everyone and Gray can't say I blame your wife wanting a new bike after seeing the vivente :lol:

I have toured on a few rail trails previously on a Gaint Boulder. Last holidays a friend and I went from Orbost to Bairnsdale via rail trail which also included the Gippsland Discovery trail which old trams line down to Lakes Entrance it was awesome 4 days. The old Bridges olong this rail trail where huge.

ridingboots

Postby ridingboots » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:50 pm

And just because here is the new bike in all her glory

As you can see have already had front racks added. Now just to plan my next tour even if only for weekend. At least the next week while we are at Bright will get a few rides in

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:52 pm

Noice! Enjoy the ride :D

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:58 pm

Hi Ridingboots.....Nice bike....you're gonna have some great fun on that baby.

Just a question though, on your choice of front racks, I was wondering why you went with the loop at the front style rather than the Tubus Duo https://www.bikeshophub.com/product/tub ... ack-p-1071

I've got the duo low rider Tubus racks on my VWR and the Ortliebs sit really nice an low on them, I haven't seen any use for those forward facing loops over the front wheel.....I'm just curious that's all.

Long Live Vivente Bikes!!

Cheers

brumby33

VWR Patagonia 2017

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:17 am

The Ergo is a better choice than the Duo, which uses larger diameter tubing that the Ortlieb lower hook fits poorly.

Tim

Postby Tim » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:03 am

It quite surprises me that Ortleib haven't come up with a fix for the poor hook fitment to the Duo.
I nearly came to grief on a rough road when the lower hook flicked off the rail and then one of the top hooks came loose and sent a pannier bag into the spokes.
Several other times the lower hook on it's own has flicked loose, to the point where I've drilled a hole in the lug to anchor the pannier(s) in place with cable ties.
I tried positioning the hook in various locations but none were satisfactory for guaranteed security.
I also tried a fix suggested on the Touring Store site where the round lug beneath the hook is rotated 90 degrees and sits on top of it's fixing rail but I wasn't happy with the result.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:41 am

Interesting answers, some I wasn't expecting.....hmmm.....I guess my Ortleib front rollers are pretty new with not much wear so I haven't experienced them coming off yet.....although I must admit when i bought them on recommendation from a Vivente dealer, I did remember thinking that how in the heck was I going to secure the panniers on a 'S' rack but they fitted perfectly and snugly once i worked out where the bottom lug was supposed to go..

cheers

brumby33

VWR Patagonia 2017

Tim

Postby Tim » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:55 am

Normally the Front Rollers sit reasonably securely to the S shaped Duo rack.
I've only had problems on very rough roads and tracks at times when the front panniers have been heavily laden with four or five days of food and water.
No problems with the cable ties but it means the bags stay attached to the bike for the duration of the trip. As the front panniers are my "kitchen", food and utensils, I don't really need to remove them and there's nothing in them I'd likely need whilst I'm in the tent.
One front pannier once ejected itself entirely from the rack when I crashed into the back of a parked Federal Police car.
The cop leapt out, grabbed the bag and hurled it into the roadside bushes.
I think he thought it was a bomb. :lol:
It all happened out the front of the Cerberus Naval Base in Victoria. Lucky he didn't shoot me. After hoicking the bag he jumped around to face me, all GI Joe combat style.
He'd probably been talking turkey with the Navy boys, on high terrorist alert.
With a five day facial growth I 'spose I could pass for an ISIS operative. :D
I was cold, wet, tired and fiddling around with a dud Garmin GPS before the hit. :oops:

ridingboots

Postby ridingboots » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:53 am

Hi Brumby

The honest truth about the front racks is I did no reasearch what so ever and put total trust in bike shop but I did know tubus brand was reputable.

I am learning more here just seeing what you all have to say about bike and will admit I am a total novice. Ask me about horses and that is different matter.

Hi Tim
Thanks for your amusing story about the federal police car that was hilarious but I bet at the time you were more worried about being hauled off to Guantanamo Bay as a supected terrorist.

isadic

Postby isadic » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:54 am

If you feel like selling it now Brumby, I'm looking for one at the moment :)
brumby33 wrote:Congrats on the New Vivente, you won't be sorry...they are a fantastic bike.....they're not the lightest thing around but stronger than a donkey....and a wee bit faster :lol:

I'm eventually going to sell my 2013 model and buy a brand new one.....I'm seriously contemplating getting the Patagonia with the barend shifters because they have the Hydraulic disc brakes which Noel McFarlane reckons are the ducks nuts.

Happy riding with your new steed.....it'll outlast you if you look after it.... :)

cheers

brumby33

Tim

Postby Tim » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:01 am

ridingboots wrote:Ask me about horses and that is different matter.
Horses bite, kick, stand on your toes and brush you off on fence posts and low hanging tree limbs. :D
Sum total of my horse experience.
That's why I ride a bike.
It goes where I want it to. :D
(...and occasionally dumps me on the ground.)

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:09 am

Yeah, I bet that was not the answer you expected, but it is the voice of experience.

I could never get the lower hook to hold securely on the Duo racks. The hook has to be stretched over the rail, and the tension just naturally tends to push it back off the rail. We have discussed all this before in previous threads. It makes no difference whether the Ortliebs are new or old, it's only a matter of time before you loose a pannier. You just have to actually use them. :wink:

Riding boots has made a good choice, intentionally or otherwise. Ortliebs will fit very securely on her front rack.

Tim

Postby Tim » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:13 am

ridingboots wrote:...I bet at the time you were more worried about being hauled off to Guantanamo Bay as a supected terrorist.
He relaxed and laughed at me after properly assessing the pathetically drenched and bedraggled sight of me picking myself up off the ground.
Then he called me a stupid female gonad (sorry, but it's true) and laughed even harder. :D
I managed a smile. :lol:
ridingboots wrote:The honest truth about the front racks is I did no reasearch what so ever and put total trust in bike shop but I did know tubus brand was reputable.
They've served you well. Tubus is good stuff and that's the best rack for Ortleib panniers (on your bike).
Last edited by Tim on Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:26 am

Tim wrote:[They've served you well. Tubus is good stuff and that's the best rack for Ortleib panniers
Ermmm is it? :D I emailed Tubus many years ago asking which is their best rack for on and off road touring. The Tara :P :D

I reckon they're all good so don't worry about which one you have. I actually prefer the look of the Duo but one time when loading my bike onto the Langkawi ferry I was glad the support hoop of the Tara was a secure hand grip for the deckhands. I was worried the bike would end up in the drink.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:46 am

Leaf T wrote:
Tim wrote:They've served you well. Tubus is good stuff and that's the best rack for Ortleib panniers
Ermmm is it? :D I emailed Tubus many years ago asking which is their best rack for on and off road touring. The Tara :P :D
Yes, it is the best rack for Ortlieb panniers.

The Tara is made from the same oversized tubing as the Duo. Perhaps Tubus may think the Tara is best for off road because of the heavier tubing, but it has the same problem with the Ortlieb lower hook, so it's not the best for Ortliebs.

The hoop makes a very handy lifting handle at times, and I kinda like being able to see it there.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:28 pm

Tubus certainly use thick tubes on their racks....when i first bought the front ortliebs, I really didn't think it'd clip onto the bar at all but with somw persuasion....it fitted nicely.

Brumby33

VWR Patagonia 2017

BenGr

Postby BenGr » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:44 pm

I'vee never had the front hooks come off my Tara rack, not the same for the rear, although that's more to do with how much flex there is in the rear panniers.