Looking for Advice Touring Australian East Coast

hannahderry

Looking for Advice Touring Australian East Coast

Postby hannahderry » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:58 am

I am planning to go to Australia this September and work on Hamilton Island until November or December. After that I am planning on biking down the coast to Sydney. I am wondering if anyone has advice on routes to take on the east coast, what the weather would be like, how long it would take, etc. I am planning to mostly stay in hostels and spend a lot of time in cities rather than camping. Does anyone have experience with that? This will be my first tour so I am open to any and all advice!

RonK

Re: Looking for Advice Touring Australian East Coast

Postby RonK » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:06 am

I would not recommend cycling the Bruce Highway from North Queensland. It's unlikely to be a pleasant experience, especially for a first-time cycle tourist. There is no real alternative route unless you go inland, and even inland there are areas of heavy traffic around the coal mines.

South from Brisbane you can take the NSW Coastal Cycle Trail.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

hannahderry

Postby hannahderry » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:21 am

Thanks! Would you happen to know if there are ways to take a bike from Hamilton Island to Brisbane such as train or bus?

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:48 pm

hannahderry wrote:Thanks! Would you happen to know if there are ways to take a bike from Hamilton Island to Brisbane such as train or bus?
Hamilton Island has an airport, so you may be able to fly in and out. I'm not sure if the aircraft used are big enough to carry a bike in the luggage hold, you'll have to check with the airlines.
Greyhound and probably other coach lines service Airlie Beach. Train services run from Proserpine.
These locations are on a well-established backpacker route so there should be plenty of transport options.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...