Cycling from Canberra to Bateman's bay - advice please!

gwendo mac

Cycling from Canberra to Bateman's bay - advice please!

Postby gwendo mac » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:00 pm

HI there,

I'm planning a trip to the coast on a (road) touring bike. It looks like there are a lot of people who have done Canberra to the coast on MTBs, but not road tourers. Does anyone know if there is a route you can do which avoids the busiest road(s) but that could tolerate a couple of road tourers stacked with camping gear? It doesn't have to be a route directly to Bateman's bay - we're happy to hit the coast at a different point. Also happy to stop along the way if there's a place to pitch a tent. We've got Jamis Auroras.
I'm new to Australia and don't want to get stuck on some crumbly path made only for MTBs...!

Thanks in advance.

Gwen

Mugglechops

Re: Cycling from Canberra to Bateman's bay - advice please!

Postby Mugglechops » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:44 pm

You're pretty much stuck riding the Kings Hwy if you don't want to hit any dirt. Or go via Oallen, Nerriga, Nowra then down the coast

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:50 am

...and the Kings Highway is very much to be avoided. It's bad enough in a car let alone on a bike. No shoulders, and drivers are not going to slow down just to avoid a collision.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:21 am

Howzat wrote:...and the Kings Highway is very much to be avoided. It's bad enough in a car let alone on a bike. No shoulders, and drivers are not going to slow down just to avoid a collision.
Yes indeed, I rode about 5kms on it last year just trying to get from one hardly used dirt road to another and couldn't wait to get off it.