Richmond Bakery Wednesday Ride

AndrewTTas

Re: Richmond Bakery Wednesday Ride

Postby AndrewTTas » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:44 pm

Doesn’t look like His Benevolence’s number 2 is going to write a race, ahem, ride report this week; so at the risk of offence, I’ll usurp his prerogative.
With an audible ping, the ride was almost immediately over for the Dictator and his spoke, leaving a dozen or so to complete his chosen course; WaterTower – Back Tea Tree Road. A few regroups on the way out, on a quite breezy but cool sunny day. Incidents unremarkable except for some major surgery on Michaels R’s chain rings at the half way point, as his chain had become very jammed. As fortune would have it there was expert advice and supervision aplenty as we took a decent breather to rehydrate and refuel. On the return leg, the group stayed pretty much together till the intersection with Tea Tree Road. From that point on, apart from the obligatory dig by PMM Man, it was pretty much the Scotty and Stewy show, with Michael R, Red Castelli Man, and self, trying to offer some kind of resistance.
With Stewy practicing some anti-cadence training on WaterTower, Michael did manage to pip him on the sprint climb, but by then, Scotty had shown everyone a clean set of heels. Even with Stew doing the bulk of the work to organise the chase, there was no chance.
Great climate for Bakery consumption post ride.

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:14 pm

Another Wednesday, another Richmond ride, another glorious day.
A bit cool to start with but clear sunshine made for a nice start. Off we went heading for Colebrook and the turn towards Tunnack. The early pace was sensible with most probably thinking about the usual melee on the way back on this course. The climb up Cole Hill was kept at the sensible pace until the hair pin where a few surges split the group.

Back together at the top and off to the next climb. The numbers were dwindling by this time and the turn point conversation spread across about seven of us. And then the trip back. Its usually restrained until half way down the hill but not today. A surge at the top spread the field and then another surge at the bottom put ScottyB and me out in front for a while. After he realised I couldn't breathe at his pace we waited for the bunch.

after that the pace was reasonably sensible with riders dropping off every now and then. A big surge at the end had ScottB first over the line and smiling again.

coffee chat was good as always with a couple of extras joining in. For anyone interested Baz's Cornelian Bay Friday Ride will leave from Richmond Bakery at 9 heading to Oatlands and back. Up via Woodsdale and back via Colebrook. About 130km all up.

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:02 pm

For that one day per year, when Richmond might get near chilly, I have the answer. On Tuesday, I was motoring through downtown Rosny, and spied PMM Mans personal thermometer, standing tall, announcing 20 degrees C. Marvellous. At that very moment, the car radio announced the temperature in Hobart,,,,,,,......13 degrees C.
I looked around to see whether PMM Man was bending over somewhere nearby, probably touching his toes.
:D :D I know where bright warm sunshine comes from :D :D

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:05 pm

Regular readers of this ra..ride report probably understand that we have come to expect glorious weather in Richmond on a Wednesday morning. No surprises today. If this is what winter has to offer then summer could be scary.

sixteen riders toed the line read for the ra...ride briefing. A retro course today - over water tower along Back Tea Tree andd return with the obligatory "attack at the rail lines on the way home". The pace was sensible to start with. There were some strong legs in the bunch with Stuey doing the brunt of the work into the light breeze. Showing no pain he then surged away to take the first points over water tower.

A regroup and away we went again with the strong boys swapping off at the front and the rest of us chasing wheels. No need to regroup at Back Tea Tree and the light tail breeze helped everyone. It looked like it was going to be a sensible ride for a while but Rossie couldn't help himself and stirred the pot on the farm hill. Points went to SteveBill as he reacted and covered the attacks with ease. The chase was on with Stuey after him, me glued to the wheel and strong man RodH chasing everyone down. Next points on offer were the hill surge which I managed to snag - having just recovered from the last effort!

A regroup and off we went again back into the breeze.

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:21 pm

Is there still a regular second group for the more refined gentleman, who might be star quality, but hides the ability very successfully?

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:11 pm

We only let the refined gentlemen ride in their own group Master6!!

Back to the ra..ride report. Christian gave his pedals a slight bit of pressure and left the rest of us behind cleaning up the points on the duck pond. Two sets of points left and an open field of contenders. The train lines came and went with no attack in sight. What happened there?? Up the rise towards Water Tower and the likelies were ready. I wasn't but had a go and almost got to the top before having to take a breath. The pack rolled past. I couldn't see by this stage so couldn't grant points. Down to the last sprint and the contenders were concentrating so the rest of us regrouped for the ride to the finish.

Well of course Rossie was in the bunch so Rossie should have won. Oops. A tyres width win to the fast finishing surge from ScottyB to give everyone equal points. So many winners in a Richmond ra..ride.

Coffee chat included extras and went on for some time. With Clive and Mike coming back to the fold next week and Master6 making a reappearance it should be another great day on a bike.

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:35 pm

It seems to be a bit repetitive, but, another glorious day in old Richmond Town Town today. A bit cool to start with but it soon warmed up with glorious sunshine and light breezes to go with it.

Along with that, the course today was a bit of a mix of here and there. A new piece of road - now that's something new - but it was the new entrance to Richmond Bypass/Middle Tea Tree Road entrance. Up Middle Tea Tree, Tea Tree, Back Tea Tree, Grass Tree for the first loop and then into Richmond and then another loop through Prossers Road, Fingerpost, the highway and home via Brinktop.

There was a serious hint of a gentleman's ride out there today. Perhaps an influence of the very influential Master6? The pace was mild from the start. It was sedate. It was gentlemanly - but where was Master6??? The pace was gentlemanly along Middle Tea Tree. the pace was gentlemanly along Tea Tree. The pace was gentlemanly along Back Tea Tree. What was going on??? ScottyB attacked as only he can and the rest maintained a gentlemanly pace :shock: :shock: :shock: Where are you Master6???

A front spoke failure slowed one of our peleton on the way but not for long as we caught up to the gentlemen.

Okay, so a regroup at the usual regroup spot and off to the next part of the ride. We picked up ScottyB at the start of Richmond - maybe he was chatting when the course was laid out?? - and continued on at a gentlemanly pace to Prossers road. A short time for a regroup after the dirt interlude and then off to the highway. It was all too much by this time and half the remaining peleton of twelve split and split again to have half on the front and half split and chasing. No regroup on Brinktop road - a bit ungentlemanly - so the peleton cruised through with the rest amalgamating and providing support as they worked along at a gentlemanly pace. Imagine our surprise as we found the majority of the peleton waiting for us at the top. Woo Hoo.

And then down the hill. That was fun. PMM Man - the irrepressible one - thought it was time to take a sprint win - and tried to - but - there were a couple of riders there before him. So disappointing. :lol: :lol:

Coffee chat was as good as always.
For those interested in rides. Baz is taking us up to Oatlands again on Friday - leaving Richmond at 9am with about 13okms to cover. RodH is leading a channel ride on the 26th leaving from Salamanca Plaza at 9am with distance around the 130ish as well. Don't forget the Tour De Norfy on the 26th of October. A great ride at the best of times. And to top off those there is a ride at Richmond next Wednesday leaving the car park at 9:00:00.000 which may have Master6 in the peleton. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:03 am

Master6 is deep in depression. Snailsaslegs, that "Great" of cycling, unfriended him on facebook :cry:

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:08 pm

Yet another glorious day in old Richmond Town greeted the assembled fourteen riders. I made a mistake and told one what the course was going to be. He left! So, at five seconds before kick-off I announced "Baskerville, Grass tree first, lets go" and they followed.
The breeze was more out of the north than I had expected so a cross wind to start with until the first climb. Michael "the hill climber" took out the points at the top with ease. He must have been very impressive as two riders decided to go the other way and skip the hills.
The peleton of thirteen flew down the hill and then attacked the Otago Bay climb. A short regroup and away again into the head wind along the river. We kept plodding along until PMM Man hit a rock and tried to destroy his indestructible Gatorskins. A long delay and a few tubes later he was on his way again in a further reduced peleton of eight as the others succumbed to the smell of coffee and kept going.
another couple of regroups and a very fast entry i to Richmond with a strong tail wind assisting. ScottyB put in a surge and led the peleton in.
coffee chat was all quality as always.

nailsaslegs

Postby nailsaslegs » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:28 pm

Decided on a hard ColeHill return into the wind. Great for the legs. Had a coffee and a quiche spoke with a lone rider who missed the bunch. Didn't get his name but used to race and recalled you were the handicapper and I was off again.

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:39 pm

Well it was a glorious start to the day in old Richmond Town today - if you were sitting in the sun and out of the wind. It was a bit cool and the greyish clouds were getting darker. The amateur and professional weather forecasters amongst the assembled riders were comparing notes on what their favourite website was suggesting in terms of wet stuff falling out of the sky. The general consensus was that it would happen but that thunderstorms were perhaps not likely.

So, at the allotted 9:00:00.000 we were off on the traditional course of water tower and back tea tree. Eleven of us started off at a reasonable pace into a light headwind. The turn onto Tea Tree Road seemed to bring an increase in the strength of the breeze and everyone started looking for wheels to hide behind. The pace picked up at the front. And then it picked up again. The bunch split and split again. Water Tower is only a small hill but a hill it is - which means our resident hill climber Michael had a go. Now obviously a hill sprinter he hit the last rise at speed and looked really good for a few metres. Stuey was blocked in. Easy.

A regroup at the top gave Brian the Elder time to hide his water bottle and tell everyone he would have to go back and get it - yeah - right! So off we went at a frenzied pace into the (again) strengthening wind. The strong men of Stuey, Motorbike Man Rod and ScottyB easily left us behind and disappeared into the distance. The remainder of us made up four groups and slogged our way to the turn.

A regroup and off again on the uphill downwind leg. The same pattern again and the bunch split and splintered with much discussion continuing about black clouds which were now gathering with intent. An early regroup to consider options which were many and varied but the return trip along Middle Tea Tree was the one with traction. Off we went again. The grumbling in the pack continued and when we got to Middle Tea Tree some simply forgot to turn and headed straight for coffee with some of the rest of us saying some nasty things to and about them.

The hard men turned and headed up the road a short distance. Hmm. Rain obvious in the North. Rain obvious coming over Grass Tree. Hmm. We made the call to go as far as we could before the rain arrived and then scamper back for coffee. About ten seconds later we turned and scampered!!

As we put the bikes away the 'weather' arrived. Someone was up there emptying buckets. As the hard men headed for coffee our early presence was noted with some particularly hurtful comments - most of them well deserved. At least we were dry as the rain continued to come down in volume.

Coffee chat was a bit curtailed and we were out of there at around the time we should have been arriving back from the ride. I don't think anyone was too upset about that. Winter wasn't very winter-ish but spring is certainly a typical one so far. Now - next week -

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:39 pm

Forecast showers, rain and possible thunderstorms didn't put off the eager starters for today's Richmond Bakery Wednesday Ride.

As the assembled throng prepared for the off the course was announced. It could have been PMM Man's choice because it was out along Fingerpost and back and then up to the top on Cole Hill before returning to Richmond. The wind was coming out of the north and north west so a head wind to start and 16 riders headed off with intent. The pace was sensible to start with as the level of chatter in the bunch was high.

The first turn onto Fingerpost and everyone was still together. The pace remained sensible until the start of the climb proper when the pedals started getting pushed a bit. The pace quickly split the bunch with about six surviving to the top and four deciding to turn early and get a head start on the rest of the course. A general regroup and a general catch-up and all back together at Colebrook Road. Up through Campania, another catch-up, and the pace remained sensible. The peleton caught the early-turners at the bottom of Cole Hill and the pace continued at a sensible pace. Was it the head wind slowing them down or the thought of the high speed return to Richmond?

The hairpin on Cole Hill brought the usual response as the climbers moved to the front. Everyone was scrambling for ScottyB's wheel but I had and noone was getting it back. When the inevitable came and he click down and took off I missed the gear changed and a gap very quickly became evident. Strongman Rod took off after him and then me with gear finally in place. ScottyB was clearly taking it easy as I was able to scramble past him and take my first Cole Hill points for a very long time. It wasn't all that difficult really - I would have explained it at the time but I couldn't speak for about three minutes as I struggled to get air into my lungs.

And then the return. The bunch was back together at the bottom of the hill and a brisk but sensible pace was tapped out by Daisy. And then it started - surge 1 by Pmm Man and Baz. I jumped on and waited for the inevitable explosion but they kept going for a while. There was some suggestion that I should do a turn. Pfft!

The bunch caught up and settled back into the brisk pace again. And then surge 2 with PMM Man (Mr irrepressible), Baz and (look out) ScottyB. I jumped on the back again. The bunch caught us as expected and a brisk pace continued. There was a hint that another surge was coming at the cutting - but it didn't happen. The pace remained brisk. There was another surge in there somewhere but I was having trouble thinking by then so can't remember where.

The last surge was a serious one and it stuck. ScottyB, Baz and PMM Man off again, I jumped on and Andrew sat in nicely. The bunch worked but ScottyB and Baz had intent this time. And then Andrew hit the leaders with his own surge. That blew Baz catching him leaving ScottyB to do all the work on the front. Just me and PMM Man sitting on the back doing nothing. The bunch kept chasing.

At 500 to go ScottyB had had enough and waved us through - me and the irrepressible one. He got second.

As is usual when we have a run home from Cole Hill the coffee chat was animated, the surges analysed, the pained expressions recalled, the alliances discussed and the relative merits of everything were debated. Nothing like a quiet ride in the countryside! And the rain held off and hasn't arrived yet.

limbot

Postby limbot » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:22 pm

Are there strava routes of some of these rides to assist those who aren't fortunate enough to be able to ride on a Wednesday morning get some ideas for new rides? :)

Any help greatly appreciated.

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:54 pm

Hi Limbot. I have limited knowledge on this stuff but if you search Strava you should find Richmond Bakery Wednesday Ride as a Club in Strava. You can then go to recent activity and the route should be mapped for you. There are six riders on there for today's effort given that these include ride/out, warm ups and ride homes as appropriate. Some pretty quick times and speeds coming back today.

limbot

Postby limbot » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:57 pm

Goddit mate. Thanks for that. And Tassie being Tassie I know the old Seadog ( Rob Seaburn) :)

And actually when I saw him last he mentioned he was doing a fair bit of riding in his retirement :)

Will peruse for a bit of variation on my routes :)

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:07 pm

Those regular readers of RBWR would know of two consistent themes - the weather is always glorious and we always leave the car park at 9:00:00.000

Well, today, the weather was not quite glorious. Like the last week or so the wind was up and today it had a bit of extra chill from the snow on the highlands. Apart from that it was a glorious day in old Richmond Town today. :shock: Two riders in A Grade headed off early on their own trip up Middle Tea Tree and then to the top of Cole Hill and back. The rest of the dozen of us waited till the death knock assuming that Master6 was surely going to make an appearance. Nope - not today - so off we went.

The course today was the double loop of Back Tea Tree and Middle Tea Tree. This is normally a good ride on a windy day with a bit of shelter going out and a blast of a taili wind coming back. It is also generally a good course for keeping everyone together - generally - sort of. Stueycide teamed up with Daisy and smashed their way through the wind to make the turn onto Tea Tree Road a long time before everyone else. After the obligatory regroup and a steady down wind drift someone noticed it was a tail wind and put the pressure on. The bunch split again and enjoyed the trip to the turn near Richmond for another regroup. The second loop is always a bit more "interesting" as everyone prepares for the sprint from the train lines.

The bunch separated again along Back Tea Tree but stayed in two good bunches and picked up the tail wind along Tea Tree Road. PMM Man had been strangely quite for the ride to date and that ended as he jumped off the front of the pack and headed for home. The reaction from the bunch was underwhelming as he gapped them and then picked up two riders who had slipped away earlier. After four or five looks around PMM Man made his play and left them behind and took off again with the obvious intent to get to the top of the Middle Tea Tree climb before getting caught. The train lines came and went and the first attacks started. PMM Man was caught but he grabbed a wheel and carved the corner and a gap to the chasers gave him hope. Eighty metres from the top of the climb and they caught him. He would have gone with them but he had forgotten to breath and went backwards. Four of us crested the climb with the next bunch only twenty metres behind. Unfortunately for them Stueycide and ScottyB were in the front four. Suffice to say the average from the top of the hill to the choice of finish lines was close on 50kph. Rocket Rod managed a couple of turns, I managed one and nearly collapsed and Stuey and Scotty did the rest.

It is one of the long held traditions of RBWR that the finish line is never declared and so riders can pick their own whenever they get to the front. Stuey won the sprint to the 80k sign. Scotty won the sprint to the 60k sign. I did one turn in there somewhere so I must have won something!

Overall the average was a touch under 30kph which was pretty good for the conditions and the top speed was getting close to 70kph which gives an indication of that glorious tail wind. The front four averaged close to 50kph on the run in to Richmond. A good ride all around I thought.

Coffee chat was as good as always and went on for a while. It took me a long long time to ride home. Phew.

So, for next week I have a strong feeling that Master6 will make that long awaited reappearance to perhaps ride with the A Graders :roll:

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:25 pm

Master6 is training in secret, intent on making a big splash on return. 23km 3 times per week is the present level.

Can you name the "A" graders please? Are they all over 85 years of age?

nailsaslegs

Postby nailsaslegs » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:32 am

Heard Master6 is coming back to actual racing as well....

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:57 am

nailsaslegs wrote:Heard Master6 is coming back to actual racing as well....
Hey.....whoa........not so fast :oops:

Most riders ride on fitness...................I am riding on freshness :roll:

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:18 pm

Another glorious day in old Richmond Town greeted the assembled riders waiting for the off. A bit of general news was passed around early. T was hit from behind by a car on Monday morning heading from Long Beach towards the start of the Monday morning Taroona Bakery Ride. He was well to the left of the road and sustained a fractured lumbar vertebrae. He is already out of hospital and sounded in good spirits although will need a brace to provide support until the fracture heals. He wanted to thank Michael R for his assistance at the time. Anyone interested in a bargain second hand bike can get in contact with T for a special deal :D Don't forget the Tour D' Norfy on Sunday the 26th.

The A grade rider headed out early. He waited as long as he could for Master6 but to no avail so had to ride on his own.

The rest of us were given the good news of a flat course out to Broadmarsh and back. The projected strong NW-erlies weren't coming through. They were a bit solid but not as bad as I expected. We waited again for the appearance of Master6 assuming he was going to ride with the peleton but, alas, no show. :cry: So off we went at 9:00:00.000 up Middle Tea Tree Road.

Another example of how vulnerable us two wheelers are came about as we were tootling along the way. I noticed a motor bike coming towards us and he then started moving very left and slowing very quickly. Next a car came past the bunch and dived back onto our side of the road. The motor cyclist gave an animated gesture to the car. About 15 seconds later the motor bike came flying past obviously in fast pursuit of the car.

About 20 minutes later when we were heading along Tea Tree Road the motor bike came back. Might have been an interesting discussion there somewhere.

So - back to the peleton which had fractured into the breeze and formed back into two groups until Brighton where we regrouped and headed up Broadmarsh Road. Another fracturing of the peleton ensued as the strong men on the front pressed on the pedals and the cross winds played havoc with those chasing wheels. PMM did his best on the front to make it difficult for everyone but it seemed that was limited to downhill - hmm - smart riding again from the irrepressible one.

The turn finally came just short of Broadmarsh town and everyone sighed as the effects of the tailwind kicked in. The average to that point was around the 26kph mark depending on who was where. On the way back and soon there were two bunches and then three and then more as the pace picked up with strong man RodH pushed the pace along at the front. PMM Man was obviously confident as he went to the front at the start :shock: of the hill - and no one came past. Oops. And when he finally pulled off the front someone attacked. That's not fair - not good and clearly not good bunch manners - but I did enjoy it.

So, we regrouped again at Brighton and then soft pedalled at the top of the hill to get the bunch back together for the push home. The pace remained gentlemanly for a while with everyone closely watching ScottyB and waiting for the inevitable surge. Over the train lines and up the rise - no attack yet - ?? - and then the irrepressible one couldn't help it and took off taking Baz and Bianchi Dave with him. They scared the bunch so much that the bunch did nothing.

The gap started to grow and RodH couldn't help it and closed the gap before the turn onto Middle Tea Tree. PMM Man persisted and crossed his finish line about half way up the rise. RodH went for the hill points and won them and that was his finish point. Over the top there was three left and the turns started in earnest. Baz caught up and that made four with three doing turns and Baz sucking air as fast as he could. The pace remained high but obviously not high enough as the numbers swelled along the flats with about eight making the numbers up at the end. The little rise came and went and still no surge from ScottyB. Hmm. The turns were ticking off and if not careful I was going to be left on the front so off I went. The old trick of going when a car was coming the other way put off Baz who was coming past and didn't want to be sitting with the driver :shock: I got a gap, looked around to see ScottyB coming and went again. Luckily when I looked around again I had the distance and picked up the various finish points that I thought were important. ScottyB came in an easy second with the rest fighting hard.

The final average speed was around the 31kph mark - again - depending on where the various riders were at various stages. In those conditions that was a ramarkable time for a bunch of old blokes - well done team.

Coffee chats were short today. Maybe it was because someone was sitting in "our" spot or maybe it was that breeze making it slightly uncomfortable. Perhaps if Master6 had been there to liven the discussion it may have gone longer. Where is that man? Some report he has been seen out motor pace training - as the driver - with no one being able to keep up with him. Maybe next week?

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:33 am

I lament the fact that the road to hell is paved with good intent

bazsand

Postby bazsand » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:14 pm

There were a few firsts on today's RBWR. None being the fact that it was a warm sunny Wednesday at Richmond...

The first first occurred when the dictator decided in his unquestionable wisdom to relinquished his role as 1ic to the 2ic..... PMM man....for this ride, just as he rode off with the A graders heading towards middle tea tree.
The confusion to the other riders caused by the first first then caused the second first to happen.......we left for the ride at 09:03:10.....never before has this happened & I'm sure when the great leader returns it will not happen again!!!!!!!!
Then to our total amazement the third first then happened. The rest of the riders waited for a late comer before we headed off?????? This is totally out of character & has never occurred before.
The forth first that happened was that Rod Hartridge wasn't the person that was late.

So after all thes firsts happened the riders set off in all directions, with PMM man appearing to not be in very much control. Some riders headed towards middle tea tree, while some headed up colebrook rd. The riders that waited for the cause of the third first asked a rider that had stopped which way they went, with a confused look on his face he pointed in both directions......so we headed up colebrook rd then turned into tea tree rd hoping to meet up with the other riders. As we neared the other riders PMM man signalled for everyone to turn around & join the other group. About 1km later we turned round......seeing how much we can get away with with the not as great leader as the great leader.
We regrouped at the corner of tea tree rd & colebrook rd, then headed to the top of cole hill. The dictator took back over the role as great leader until he drifted off the back & decided that he didn't want to be the great leader anymore, so this left PMM man as the not so great leader again.
After a pleasant trip to cole hill the pace enevitably picked up a bit on the way back, the usual surges happened on the dips, with riders popping out the back with regularity. This left 5 riders for the sprint into Richmond, the not so great leader amongst them.... The 5 riders took turns occasionally at a fair pace for a bunch of old blokes, on the sprint to the line the fifth first happened.......PMM Man won the sprint for the first time in 10 years...
It turned out to be a quite enjoyable ride.......the coffee chat was the usual dribble, & the coffee was good..
Until next week.....

P.S
A few notable things happened
Bianchi Dave turned up but forgot to bring his wheels.....
Dale had a pre prepared flat tyre when he arrived......
Brian Palmer forgot his garmin....which could be why he was smashing the ride so much
And PMM man brought the wrong bike....
And Like before Rod Hartridge wasn't late.
Felt AR2

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:19 pm

Fark!

*Daisy*

Postby *Daisy* » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:40 pm

It should be said that no financial gain was promised ... but implied ... ???
Regards Daisy
___o
*`\<
(*) (*)

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:42 pm

So I was away for a week and last week's ride disappeared into the ether. 2IC was incapacitated so Brian the Elder was made 3IC. As you would expect he dreamed up a hill course - up Black Charlie's, back down and then Brinktop on the way back. Of course he didn't turn up on the day but made sure the six that did rode his course. Hmmm.

So, I'm back - and it was a glorious day in old Richmond Town today. Around a dozen riders assembled for the off at 9:00:00.000. I was feeling pretty cold around then so the best I could do was pick the old water tower and back tea tree road course. Off we went into a stiffening head breeze. Over water tower and we lost our first complaining of not having his usual drug paraphernalia - or it might have been an asthma puffer.
After a regroup we continued into the wind at pace and the pack splintered many times. A poor effort at a regroup saw us not regrouping until the turn. And then we lost the next rider. Back we went into the wind again and it was hard going on the front and really easy in the bunch. No need for a regroup and off down wind at pace and more pace. Two more riders peeled off and the rest of us failed to keep up with the strong boys.

I'd like to be able to say who won the sprint but I was so far behind them that by the time I finished they'd had their coffee and gone home. And I thought I was going okay! Maybe one of the protagonists might give us the details.