Hobart Work Trip

RobM

Hobart Work Trip

Postby RobM » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:35 pm

Hey friends in the south,
Work is paying for a conference trip to Hobart so I'll be there from this Sunday for a week.

Already lined up a hire mountain bike (Santa Cruz Heckler) from Cylingo so I will check out a few trails and roll around the city sights.

On my list is a ride up Mt Wellington. I've got the route sorted but would like to know:
- is traffic up the mountain likely to be better on a weekday or weekend morning? Presume I'll be in good company with other cyclists on Sat morning?
- coming from QLD, what should I carry up with me for the descent? Arm warmer's and a vest enough? How much colder is it at the top compared to the base?
- how long should the climb take me (assume average cyclist)? Just working out how much time I'll need to leave.

I might trade the mtb for a roadie if they have one, but the lower gears and disc brakes might be handy from what I've read.

Cheers for the local knowledge,
Rob

thecaptn

Re: Hobart Work Trip

Postby thecaptn » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:20 pm

Coming from QLD you might consider something like this for the descent :

RobM

Postby RobM » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:26 pm

:)
Frostbite wears off, right?

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:35 pm

The hood could end up glued to your head with snot icicles, they'd melt eventually....

piledhigher

Postby piledhigher » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:37 pm

thecaptn wrote:The hood could end up glued to your head with snot icicles, they'd melt eventually....
It's nice that the water at constitution doc is heated by a natural thermal pool, ideal place to warm up at the end of the ride.

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:42 am

The traffic is usually pretty polite, people are on holiday going up there so they go slow. The Chinese tourists can be a bit random, but at least you know it's not malicious... coming down it'll be you doing the passing.
I usually take just a little windproof jacket and a set of those $4 windstopper gloves from Ebay. If you ride up to the top you'll be pretty hot by the top. As soon as you hit the top chuck on the jacket and gloves. You won't be in the cold zone for that long on the way down, it's pretty easy to hit 80km/h on the way down. It only takes about 20 minutes or so to get down to the outskirts of the city. If the lights are kind you can be in Salamanca in 25 minutes. Mind you the weather is going to be crap-ish on Saturday and Sunday. Raining Saturday...

That being the case maybe the North South track might be a better bet on the MTB. It starts at the Glenorchy MTB Park and finishes at the Springs at about 720m ASL. It'll be warmer as it's all in the trees. It's not super technical and climbs steadily, mostly. The ride down is a blast...it's been built by pro mountain bike track builders so has some great banked corners. By the time you ride from the city to 'norchy, up the track and back it'd be about 50km and 1000m of climbing.

RobM

Postby RobM » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:43 am

Awesome thanks Trev. The North-South track is definitely on the cards, I've heard many good things about the trails in Hobart.
I'll be likely to do Wello the morning of Sat 12th Dec as work is squeezing out the other mornings. Fingers crossed for good weather then.
I also read it's sunset at 830pm there this time of year! I'll still bring my lights but that should give me some more time to ride.

RobM

Postby RobM » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:45 am

Ps- gee whiz I'm hoping that photo wasn't from this week :)

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:29 pm

Best you also check the conditions here http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDT60901 ... 5979.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; before you go up. No point riding up past the Springs if it's blowing 100km/h. Bad enough riding up the slope let alone against the wind... the road is unrelenting from the Springs upwards. It was done using a clinometer, it's never less than 7% and sometime gets steeper than 12% to make an average of 9%, which I'm lead to believe was about the steepest sustained climb a Model T could do. It's also very exposed, especially from Big Bend onwards. Up to the Springs is in forest, so that's OK.
There are km to the top painted on the road, so you know how far left. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not, can be a bit disheartening sometimes.

m@

Postby m@ » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:33 pm

I'm jealous ;)

If you're up for a longer ride and have time, try the Commando loop (south from Hobart along Sandy Bay Road, which becomes the Channel Highway, to Margate, Sandfly Road to Longley then Huon Road to Fern Tree). The gentle climb up from Longley to Neika is about as good as riding gets IMO... stunning views, gentle grade, flowing corners... it's also fun in the other direction ;) From Fern Tree you can summit the mountain then roll back down into Hobart, making it a nice half-day ride.

Otherwise the mountain via Strickland Avenue (past Cascade Brewery) or Huon Road (the boring, direct route) should take you ~2 hours from town, and the descent can be done pretty quickly as someone mentioned... Do take care on the descent though - the road surface is pretty poor, there are lots of blind corners and traffic coming up is sometimes completely on the wrong side of the road (especially on busy weekends). Nothing scary, just take care and ride well within your own and the bike's abilities :)

Either way I'd definitely recommend taking plenty of warm and wind resistant clothes for the descent - I've had the early stages of hypothermia descending the mountain and I'm Taswegian...

I've hired Hecklers from Cyclingo a few times - they're terrific fun on singletrack, but hard work going uphill - definitely overkill if you're not planning on going offroad. They also have a fleet of carbon framed, 105-equipped Jamis roadies; they're quite satisfactory (I've spent a fair few hours on one...). Compact crankset and 25T large sprocket from memory - plenty to get you over the steepest part of the climb if you're happy to stand and grind for a bit.

Personally I'd grab a Heckler and ride the north-south track, Meehan range etc - mountain biking is going off in Tassie right now! If you post in the Hobart MTB Rides facebook group you'll undoubtedly find out about more trails, group rides etc.

But since you've got a week, you could always hire a roadie some days and MTB others.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:45 pm

A MTB with slicks is definitely the go for the mountain descent, as M@ says the road is pretty rugged. Or in my case my fastest run was on my touring bike complete with 1.75" marathons (but no luggage). I put that down to the suppleness and grip of the tyres. There is a descent tour offered, but they have a rider in front to keep you below the speed limit, where's the fun it that? Much better scaring the crap out of unsuspecting tourists in hire cars as you punishment pass them for going so "slow".

RobM

Postby RobM » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:43 pm

Thanks for the advice all.
I will try to swap for a road bike but won't be too fussed if I do it on the mtb. I'll be taking it easy and enjoying the view (if possible). I can always try for a quicker time on the next trip.
The other benefit of the mtb is not worrying about punctures as much. I'll only have limited spares loaned from the shop. Either way I can't wait!

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:08 pm

If you are serious about summiting come prepared as the mountain weather is extremely variable. Just a week ago there was significant overnight snowfall. Otherwise just arm warmers and a jacket, pull the pin if the forecast is rubbish and hit the MTB trails instead.

P.S. Ask the locals nicely and you might just be able to forgo the hire, and get a tour guide throw in to boot!
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

2wheels_mond

Postby 2wheels_mond » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:15 am

Are you a medium size Rob? I have an older 54cm bike you can borrow if you'd like, and for bonus points, less than a km from the bottom of the Wellington climb.

RobM

Postby RobM » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:25 pm

2wheels_mond wrote:Are you a medium size Rob? I have an older 54cm bike you can borrow if you'd like, and for bonus points, less than a km from the bottom of the Wellington climb.
That might work actually! The bike hire isn't cheap (I assume because the bikes are actually decent spec). I'll give you a PM mate for your phone number

Cheers
Rob

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:22 am

Yep, it's drizzling nicely. Time I went to bed, been working all night.

RobM

Postby RobM » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:43 pm

Thanks to the 3 fellas offering bikes for me to use while I am down south. I have cancelled the bike hire and taken up one of the offers (thanks Mark!)

Let it be known that Hobartians (Hobartinites?) are a very friendly bunch.

If you see a lonely qld'er toiling up the Mt Wellington slopes freezing his butt off, give me a wave :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol:

dunamis

Postby dunamis » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:56 pm

Just drove down to Hobart from up north. Geez it's nippy