1 day rides around launceston?

cyclingnolycra

1 day rides around launceston?

Postby cyclingnolycra » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:17 pm

Hi,

My wife and I are going to Launceston next week, was thinking maybe of hiring a bike for a ride around or just outside of the city. Anyone know if there are rides worth doing around there? We both cycle (road) at least once a week, happy to do up to 100km in a day as a one-off.

Most websites I've seen talk about cycling between towns, e.g. Launceston to Hobart, but we obviously don't have the time (or inclination) to do that. Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions!

mikgit

Re: 1 day rides around launceston?

Postby mikgit » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:17 pm

Depends, do you like hills and/or highways?
up to 100km, you could ride up the west tamar highway, onto roseveers drive (the fish shop ride),then to exeter and out to gravely beach and up to beaconsfield and then back.
up out of launceston up to prospect, then across to longford (or carrick then longford), then across to evandale, then back to launceston.
Those would be what i'd do, but depends.
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:05 pm

cyclingnolycra wrote:My wife and I are going to Launceston next week
Sorry to hear that. (Jokes - that's where I'm from originally, it's actually a nice place.)

You could do worse than riding out to a vineyard or country town for a drink and something to eat. Some things that come to mind:

Joseph Chromy Wines at Relbia - there's also some nice riding around the Relbia area if time permits.
Velo Wines at Legana - haven't been there myself but have heard it's good. That is on the West Tamar Highway as mikgit mentioned.
Also on the fish shop ride - there's a pub at Rosevears which used to be good, haven't been there for yonks though - not to mention just a bit further on is Exeter Bakery which is a local institution.
Leaning Church Vineyard near Lilydale is a top spot for lunch.
Evandale - just a quaint country town with old skool cafes and bakeries.
Longford - the back roads from Launceston are a popular cycling route and the cafe(s) there are a popular refueling point.

Dizzie

Postby Dizzie » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:17 pm

Try this collection of curated routes:

https://www.biketas.org.au/our_new_amba ... es_program

produced by Bicycle Network Tasmania.

cyclingnolycra

Postby cyclingnolycra » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:57 pm

Thanks guys. Wasn't able to go road riding, but did eat at the bakery and at velo wines!
Velo wines dinner was amazing! The roads were nice to, Rosevears drive would have been really nice to cycle on.

Did some MTB riding with the bikes available for hire on Maria Island. Recommended, but the bikes aren't really well maintained... (squeaky chains)
Don't go to the sandy isthmus! I have never done a 4.5km flat stretch that was so tiring (cycling through sand... so tough).

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:31 pm

cyclingnolycra wrote:Thanks guys. Wasn't able to go road riding, but did eat at the bakery and at velo wines!
Velo wines dinner was amazing! The roads were nice to, Rosevears drive would have been really nice to cycle on.
Sounds like you had a good time.

This is me riding through Rosevears around this time last year:

I'm back over in January - thinking about hiring a bike for a day or two.

BugsBunny

Postby BugsBunny » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:58 pm

I was in Launceston just a few weeks back. Didn't get a chance to ride, but I can highly recommend the Stillwater Restaurant. The food was bloody amazing!... :-)

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:41 pm

went to the James Boag brewery a couple of weeks ago. meh
But, Seven Sheds brewery in Railton. Kentish ale, mmmmmm.

m@

Postby m@ » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:43 pm

A bit late now... But for anyone finding this thread, I'd recommend looking up the Scottsdale/Sidling loop.

Depending on timing, Little Rivers Brewery is a great place to stop for some mid-ride sportsdrinks :wink:
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe