Your 1st Bike (excluding trikes)

koshari

Your 1st Bike (excluding trikes)

Postby koshari » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:49 pm

how many can remember their first pride and joy, and the freedom that came with it, then the journey to break the dependency of training wheels,

like many my first foray into bicycling came from a bike very similar to this one as i remember, removable top tube and all. i recall i prolly would have been 5 or 6 at the time

it went from being a stocker, to loosing the trainers, later it lost the mudguards as they lost street cred, the sissy bar seat later in its career was replaced with a standard saddle as the BMX craze took hold and some try hard BMX safety pads were applied to try and look the part.

at the age of around 10-11 i finally got a real BMX, a repco hotfoot
same as this,

this lasted me right up to adolescence, it got a bit of a makeover when i was 15/16 copping a flat black stealth custom paint jobbie and by then was garnished with a set of araya ally rims , and even had genuine shimano DX platforms :-) unfortinately the refresh amde it look pretty good to some other kid who subserquently stole it from under the verandah out the back of our old house.

rollin

Re: Your 1st Bike (excluding trikes)

Postby rollin » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:56 pm

Sister had a yellow dragster like your blue one cool bikes, I got a 81 mongoose for Xmas that year...

koshari

Postby koshari » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:40 pm

rollin wrote: I got a 81 mongoose for Xmas that year...
You would have been cycling royalty in those days, I remember a kid called "snoopy" in our neighbourhood had a black PK RIPPER, he was elevated to almost deity status.

matt1986

Postby matt1986 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:00 pm

Growing up in the UK I had one of these Raleigh 'mini-burners' in red. I remember it distinctly because of the puffy yellow frame protectors.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:54 pm

koshari wrote:
You would have been cycling royalty in those days, I remember a kid called "snoopy" in our neighbourhood had a black PK RIPPER, he was elevated to almost deity status.
Yup. We had one kid like that too - father was a divorced dentist. He got Tuffs for it (!) and then told his dad he didn't like them so got alloys. :roll:

Meanwhile I was riding an Ashby.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:29 pm

Holy crap! I've been trying to remember my first bike for years - my parents, my brother, all the could remember was the color scheme but not the brand or model. See this thread, open it up, there it is Repco Hotfoot - the blue and yellow model.

rollin

Postby rollin » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:59 pm

koshari wrote:
I was very lucky and had divorced parents
my old man was a trading post addict so after the mongoose I had a jmc racing and a pk ripper..
& matt1986 those puffy yellow frame protectors are called pads...

koshari

Postby koshari » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:32 pm

so it would appear by the posting in this thread that broken marriages were the key to all those nice steeds getting around in my youth.

silentC

Postby silentC » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:36 pm

I had one of these:

I got it for Christmas in 1974 (I was 9). Only one other kid in the street had a dragster. It was three speed with a T-bar shifter on the top tubes. Mine didn't have the rack on the back but was otherwise identical to this one, same colour too.

Later on I took the ape hangers and the seat off and pinched the flat bar and saddle from my sister's bike to make it into a rudimentary sort of BMX bike. My next bike was a 10 speed racing bike.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

The Fixer

Postby The Fixer » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:05 am

Mine was a 16" (?) Speedwell in 1962, at the age of 4.

Single-speed, and hand-painted orange. It was old, even back then.

No pics, unfortunately.
I don't care if it's a $20 Huffy or a $20k Colnago, as long as you're riding, and you're happy.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:48 am

First bike was a 1975 Tom Wallace Cycles Family model - bright red step-through single speed with 24 inch wheels. I saved and bought a speedo for it and I cranked it to 25mph down Fortitude St in Auchenflower in Brisbane. In 1979 I got a Yellow Ashby "Tour De France" 10 speed racer complete with suicide levers, alloy rims and stem mounted shifters. Rode it to school/training for years, gradually upgrading from Suntour to Shimano 600 from the LBS where I worked on Wednesday afternoons & Saturday mornings.

In 1981 I had enough money saved to get a custom frame made via the LBS called a "Santa Lucia". Reynolds 531, SR & Shimano 600 gear and some Fiamme Ergal tubulars. Pics are on a different thread somewhere here as I completely restored it about 5yrs ago.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.