You beauty - let everyone see what you've got!

jks

Re: You beauty - let everyone see what you've got!

Postby jks » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:51 pm

Just putting up some randoms for shares - some have been seen before and some have not. These rides are ones restored over the past 18 months or so. enjoy!
pug is really small with a 3 speed simplex set running - good size for a medium child - bad repair when found and spent some coin on it only to find out the guy that took it stripped it down.
1984 Nishki - my first go at resto - regret what I did to her now but still have it, I like the red and white but should have kept as is.
Another Pug - powdercoated in metallic candy apple
Am old CBC from Sydney found under a vicar's house in Taree - not a valuable bike but it had charm so it has been polished up
An old Europa found on curb for pick up - story goes guy found in a swamp took it home and put it out for collection - I kept it as is.
2 STAR - Love this frame - again a rescue job

This was painted green all over - rims included - took her back to basics and just applied undercoat to frame - not sure of age - SN#00125

Kermit TF

Postby Kermit TF » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:54 pm

Nice stuff !
You do realise that model europa is actually an Abeni.. :D very nice frame..
When in doubt......mumble.

jks

Postby jks » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:27 pm

Kermit TF wrote:Nice stuff !
You do realise that model europa is actually an Abeni.. :D very nice frame..

yeah mate- a guy that rode with ? John Abeni actually bought it from me ant took it back to Sydney.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:26 pm

jks wrote:Just putting up some randoms for shares - some have been seen before and some have not. These rides are ones restored over the past 18 months or so. enjoy!
pug is really small with a 3 speed simplex set running - good size for a medium child - bad repair when found and spent some coin on it only to find out the guy that took it stripped it down.
One of these in 24" was my first race bike it was a Christmas present in 1977 I think. I certainly started racing in 1978. Stripped the guards off and then one of the helpful blokes in the bike club upgraded the cluster to a 5 speed which was much more modern. Unfortunately this meant a narrower chain and he then spent ages filing down the chainring to suit a 3/32" chain.

Cheers,

Cameron

jks

Postby jks » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:55 am

ironhanglider wrote:
jks wrote:Just putting up some randoms for shares - some have been seen before and some have not. These rides are ones restored over the past 18 months or so. enjoy!
One of these in 24" was my first race bike it was a Christmas present in 1977 I think. I certainly started racing in 1978. Stripped the guards off and then one of the helpful blokes in the bike club upgraded the cluster to a 5 speed which was much more modern. Unfortunately this meant a narrower chain and he then spent ages filing down the chainring to suit a 3/32" chain.

Cheers,

Cameron
That is a cool bike to have mate - from ground to top tube she stands at 72 cm not sure what that is in old speak but she was small. I found her behind a shed and thought that she was an interesting bike particularly the simplex stuff. I was amazed that she was complete minus the headlight lens. I did spend some time and money to bring her back to working order and preserved rather than restored. I had intended to move it on and as said before I was sad to see a guy take it to strip down into a track bike for his son. Nice to see it used again all the same.
One thing to note the build quality was rubbish! fittings a mixed bag and sometimes hard to work on.
I cant believe that a guy filed the cluster on yours! that is proper backyard but awesome at the same time.
Hope the pics took you down memory lane.

Cheers

jks

Postby jks » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:20 am

Fearing being a space invader I will only make one more post this week - sorry if it seems I have hijacked the page.
I got this from my scrap dealer and paid scrap weight price, about $15. why I don't know but when I saw it sitting on the pile for destruction my heart wept. I thought about how much pleasure she must have given and how many people must have been in awe of her petty satin finish and carbon forks when new. Now I don't usually play with alu frames but we will see where she ends up.
Galv corrosion is the issue I had on this frame - sanded back and will try to match satin finish with the Dremel - fraught with danger!
All I can tell you about her is she is from the 90's

Also wanted to post a pick of storage option for rides - these hooks are great - Howard's sell them and when not in use they fold away.

some, what I think is galvanic corrosion - I have lightly sanded and will attempt to match the satin finish of the fame better - got me a small dremel to make the job easier.
wanted to share my storage solution for bike - the hooks fold up when not in use - Howard's sell them and I think they are great.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:48 pm

jks wrote:Galv corrosion is the issue I had on this frame - sanded back and will try to match satin finish with the Dremel - fraught with danger!
Interesting frame - crank looks like 105SC is early to mid 90s, lack of downtube bosses & lugs on headtube suggest 8 speed STI. Clamp on seat tube & headset arrangement to me says mid 90s.

I would be guessing 1995 - codes on the crank should confirm
Anything you can do, I can do slower

jks

Postby jks » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:04 pm

find_bruce wrote:
jks wrote:Galv corrosion is the issue I had on this frame - sanded back and will try to match satin finish with the Dremel - fraught with danger!
Interesting frame - crank looks like 105SC is early to mid 90s, lack of downtube bosses & lugs on headtube suggest 8 speed STI. Clamp on seat tube & headset arrangement to me says mid 90s.

I would be guessing 1995 - codes on the crank should confirm
I have not had a good look into the age but agreed she is a 90's child. It is nice in my opinion - Will it be a builder Im not sure yet. Would be easy enough I guess to get my hands on original gear.

Aussycle

Postby Aussycle » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:33 am

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum but I do have a collection of old bikes that have been in the shed for many years. Nothing spectacular, just the common Malvern Stars and Speedwells. I also have a beautiful 1975 Raleigh Sports Special which appears to have done very little mileage.

I have a 1980 Malvern Star Touristar which has been sitting around for a few years. Now, rather than buy a cheap junky retro style bike, Ive decided to buy new parts and rebuild this bike, bearing in mind that I only want to use this for cruising and exercise. I'm disappointed to read the negative comments about 1980s bikes on some posts here. The frame is perfect as is the Shimano gear fitted. Brake levers and calipers are rusted so I'm replacing those. I've also replaced the UniGlide hub with a standard 5 speed Shimano cassette. Chrome rims with gumwalls for a period look. Alloy was around but in my opinion doesn't look old enough.

Any thoughts, ideas or opinions?

Sam.

Basically, I want a retro style bike with a few decent gears and be able to dress it up with mudguards, luggage rack, lights etc.
Will the Touristar

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:03 am

you need to use the Direct link code for the photo to show

hgman71

Postby hgman71 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:04 pm

Thanks Philip,

I can see what everyone means about the quality of 1980's bicycles now. I managed to remove the bottom bracket today only to find that it is a sealed unit and therefore, non serviceable. Looking at forums, it seems that there's no replacement for the bottom bracket cartridge and a conventional bearing and shaft system can't be used because the frame has no thread in it to take it. I've read about sleeving the frame to take the conventional setup but it's going to add to the cost and I'll be sure to over capitalise on this, being a cheap bicycle.

I think the best option is to look for an earlier style bike which has serviceable running gear, but these are far and few on eBay and Gumtree.
What should I be looking for in an earlier style bicycle? Preferably Speedwell or Malvern Star.

Cheers,
Sam.

jks

Postby jks » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:36 pm

hgman71 wrote:Thanks Philip,

I can see what everyone means about the quality of 1980's bicycles now. I managed to remove the bottom bracket today only to find that it is a sealed unit and therefore, non serviceable. Looking at forums, it seems that there's no replacement for the bottom bracket cartridge and a conventional bearing and shaft system can't be used because the frame has no thread in it to take it. I've read about sleeving the frame to take the conventional setup but it's going to add to the cost and I'll be sure to over capitalise on this, being a cheap bicycle.

I think the best option is to look for an earlier style bike which has serviceable running gear, but these are far and few on eBay and Gumtree.
What should I be looking for in an earlier style bicycle? Preferably Speedwell or Malvern Star.

Cheers,
Sam.
Plenty of good bikes out there to be found mate - and at a great price try your local tip shops first. secondly keep an eye out for the chaps that come around and sift through piles of curb rubbish these guys deal in scrap. I have found a guy that has shipping containers full of bikes even ones with great old campy group sets. you will pick one up for around $30 and it will be in running order.
If motivated hit garage sales but do it early I look online for them the night before ( only on the Saturdays it is too wet to ride). but you need an early start.

hgman71

Postby hgman71 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:37 pm

Hi everyone,

Thought I'd show a few pictures of my 1975 Raleigh Sports which I purchased last year on Gumtree. It has 3 speed Sturmey-Archer hub gears.

Everything on this bicycle is original with the exception of new brake pads, new tyres and the leather saddle bag.
The bicycle came with the original Raleigh Record 26 x 1-3/8 gumwall tyres which I still have.
Paintwork, decals and transfers are near perfect and the bicycle is showing minor signs of age. Genuine Raleigh lighting kit fitted inlcuding DynoHub.
Judging by the minimal wear on the pedals and the condition of the chrome and paintwork, I'd say that she hasn't seen much use.

The only downfall is that it's too small for me to ride with 26 inch wheels, hence the reason I'm looking to rebuild another bicycle to ride.

Sam.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:19 pm

Beautiful :) .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

open roader

Postby open roader » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:31 pm

hgman71 wrote:Thought I'd show a few pictures of my 1975 Raleigh Sports which I purchased last year on Gumtree. It has 3 speed Sturmey-Archer hub gears.
Great looker, white wall tyres are perfect....... :D
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

hgman71

Postby hgman71 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:31 pm

Hi everyone,
Just on the Malvern Star project again. I removed the bottom bracket over the weekend, only to find that it felt very notchy. I read some posts on here about sealed bottom brackets being throw away items. I decided to drill a small hole in the casing throughwhich I pumped grease. It made it smoother but still a little notchy. This morning I managed to pull apart the cartridge and degrease the entire unit. The casing is all threaded and surprisingly it unscrewed quite easily. I hit the inside with steel wool to remove the dried up grease, repacked the bearings, reassembled and now it's as good as new! The casing was screwed up too tight which was why it was notchy. No problems now!

On another note, I have changed to another set of second hand wheels to suit a standard Shimano screw on cluster rather than the Uniglide cluster. The chrome on the wheels is perfect, the spokes need painting but they also need adjusting. I tried to adjust one loose spoke but it's made it worse, the wheel wobbles now. Is it expensive to have these balanced? Or would I be better off buying new wheels? I'd love to stick with chrome rims for originality but the chrome on the repro wheels I've seen is nowhere near as good as the old ones. Can I get alloy wheels that are shiny, rather than the dull machined finish?

Cheers!
Last edited by hgman71 on Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbchybridrider

Postby jbchybridrider » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:01 pm

Not sure if my Olympia qualify's as classic or retro anymore since it's been modernized, but anyway here's some pic's. 7.8kg ready to ride still with the steel fork.

Still working on a decent full bike pic :mrgreen:

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:47 am

All I can say is...blimey. If it had a Nitto quill stem then the Pinnacle would've met its match. ;)
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

elantra

Postby elantra » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:48 am

jbchybridrider wrote:Not sure if my Olympia qualify's as classic or retro anymore since it's been modernized, but anyway here's some pic's. 7.8kg ready to ride still with the steel fork.

Very nice, Very classic, Sufficiently retro.
I like the absence of internal cabling. Presumably there are reasons why it is not possible to do internal cabling with those tubes.

munga

Postby munga » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:16 pm

my (lugged) EL OS isn't as pretty (or light!), but here's a pic anyway:

1995 with 1998 chorus. ambrosio excellence/daytona wheelset.

Typhoon Ken

Postby Typhoon Ken » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:19 pm

munga wrote:my (lugged) EL OS isn't as pretty (or light!), but here's a pic anyway
But it is Bianchi Green (Celeste)!

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:38 pm

munga wrote:my (lugged) EL OS isn't as pretty (or light!), but here's a pic anyway:
I understand the rule is that the bike must be prettier than the rider, so the bianchi is plenty pretty enough & I am free to ride any old dunga :D
Anything you can do, I can do slower

jbchybridrider

Postby jbchybridrider » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:45 pm

silentbutdeadly wrote:All I can say is...blimey. If it had a Nitto quill stem then the Pinnacle would've met its match. ;)
Ha the Pinnacle will always be original accept for the saddle that's in climate controlled storage :mrgreen: The Olympia is built to perform with what I have and the ITM stem that cost $2.70 on he bay is less flexy.

jbchybridrider

Postby jbchybridrider » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:48 pm

munga wrote:my (lugged) EL OS isn't as pretty (or light!), but here's a pic anyway:

1995 with 1998 chorus. ambrosio excellence/daytona wheelset.
Olympia and Bianchi, two of Italy's oldest and finest.

munga

Postby munga » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:12 pm

find_bruce wrote: I understand the rule is that the bike must be prettier than the rider, so the bianchi is plenty pretty enough & I am free to ride any old dunga :D
well the bianchi is monica bellucci to my ernest borgnine