Healing Ladies Bike - Shed Find!

AnnaLB

Re: Healing Ladies Bike - Shed Find!

Postby AnnaLB » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:09 pm

No worries ldrcycles.... I don't really understand what it was all about, but anyway! :)

So would you recommend the 27" wheels then? Because I would really love to put whitewalls on it!!

I would love to see a picture of your wife's Healing. I haven't seen many of them. I am not so keen on red... although it looks lovely, it's not really my colour. I like all of the pastel colours, but the fact that all of the new 'vintage' repros have been painted in pastel colours puts me off.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:07 pm

I'd go with 27" but 700C would probably do the job fine too. I posted a pic of my wife's bike in your other thread :) .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

AnnaLB

Postby AnnaLB » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:20 pm

Thanks a lot for that LDR, it looks beautiful.

I have now painted mine in a lovely 'Galaxy Blue'. I will get a picture tomorrow. Next step is some white details, then clear coating.

Bought myself this beautiful Bell seat for it the other day too.

She's going to look so lovely... I'm getting excited! :D

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:30 pm

Wow that's a great find, i've never seen a Bell decorated like that before.

AnnaLB

Postby AnnaLB » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:50 am

It's in great nick, too. :)

Now, WHEELS AND TYRES!

I have no clue at all on the subject. I will go for the 27" ones. I have found all the bits, all from the same store, which are 27" x 1-1/4"... will that do?

These are the ones I am looking at.

http://www.bicyclestore.com.au/bikecorp ... wheel.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.bicyclestore.com.au/bikecorp ... wheel.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.bicyclestore.com.au/bikecorp ... black.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.bicyclestore.com.au/tioga-bi ... -tube.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AnnaLB

Postby AnnaLB » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:43 am

Just realised I'll need a rear wheel with a coaster brake. That's a bit more expensive......

timdoughnut

Postby timdoughnut » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:04 pm

Holy moly! So I clicked into this and seen that the bike you are restoring is pretty much exactly the same as the one I was given on the weekend! It even has the same Bell seat that you got for it! But the frame I have has the word Viking on the down tube and the number on the seat poll is a little different? Check it out in my post!
Bicycles rule.

AnnaLB

Postby AnnaLB » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:10 pm

Checked yours out Tim, looks very similar!! Lucky you, getting that seat on it... I had to search to find a nice vintage one that I loved, and had to pay $37pp for it!

I am ready to paint some details on it now, but am unsure which bits to paint. Did some dodgy photoshop jobs to try and figure something out, but I still don't know. Thoughts?

utedeej

Postby utedeej » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:29 pm

I'd go white or cream on the head tube and the horizontal holes in the lugs only, and leave the H and the lugs as blue.

AnnaLB

Postby AnnaLB » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:43 pm

I like your thinking!!!

utedeej

Postby utedeej » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:03 pm

Much nicer I think.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:14 pm

AnnaLB wrote:I like your thinking!!!

This! Very nice
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Imwit

Postby Imwit » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:25 pm

Agreed. Looks good.
Something for the down and seat tubes too?

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:55 pm

Another vote for the white headtube.

AnnaLB

Postby AnnaLB » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:54 pm

Imwit wrote:Agreed. Looks good.
Something for the down and seat tubes too?
Suggestions? I am totally new at this. :D I had wondered if I should, but had no idea. I don't want to use Healing decals. Would rather a clean simple look.

utedeej

Postby utedeej » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:06 pm

Personally, I'd leave the downtube. If it was painted white or had a white band on it, I think it would distract from the H on the headtube.

AnnaLB

Postby AnnaLB » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:44 am

Okay. So to do the above detailing, I would just use a brush and sand in between coats to smooth out the strokes?

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:30 am

I would mask off the areas around it and use a rattle can. Sand first to help the white paint stick, and then just apply 3 or 4 light coats.

mark field

Postby mark field » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:38 am

before you get painting and put my hand up and suggest a lighter shade of the blue, that way you wont have the problem of colours clashing or standing out. also if you do choose white or cream colour then perhaps a silver or deep red for the headbadge.
steel is the real deal.

AnnaLB

Postby AnnaLB » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:39 pm

Thanks LDR, I will try that, and thank you Mark for the idea... I like it! I think a red H would be cool.

I haven't made a huge amount of progress lately. My package came with my wheels, tyres, tubes, and handlebars. Today I rubbed as much rust as I could off the chainring/cranks and clear coated them. They look okay, very pitted, but far better than they did! Maybe I will get them rechromed one day, but not at the moment. I also stripped the mudguards and have primed them. I will paint them the same dark blue, but will paint a white stripe down the raised part in the middle, so there will be a long line down the whole length.

Nearly up to the reassembly part, which I am nervous about, because some of the bits are stuffed. The piece that you thread the handlebars into to attach them to the bike is fully seized with the old bars in them (or maybe they were made like that? They seem VERY seized, and there is no nut to loosen to remove them... thoughts/ideas?) Apart from that, it should be fun to get it back together without scratching anything!

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:10 pm

AnnaLB wrote: Nearly up to the reassembly part, which I am nervous about, because some of the bits are stuffed. The piece that you thread the handlebars into to attach them to the bike is fully seized with the old bars in them (or maybe they were made like that? They seem VERY seized, and there is no nut to loosen to remove them... thoughts/ideas?) Apart from that, it should be fun to get it back together without scratching anything!

Ah i reckon they are like the bar/stem combo on my wife's Healing, it is all one piece. From the photos the bars look like they've pretty well had it, but most bike shops (especially ones that sell a lot of cruisers/ladies bikes) will have suitable replacement handlebars and stems for a reasonable price. As an indication, bars on ebay are $25-35 plus post.

I look forward to seeing the mudguards with the stripe, they should look great :) .

AnnaLB

Postby AnnaLB » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:34 pm

Here are some pictures of the bars. Sounds like you are right. Unfortunately I already bought some new bars... can I buy the stem separately?

The new bars that I got have no rise at all, they are very flat... this could either look awesome or awful! The old ones didn't have much or a rise, so it should look okay. :)

Put some blue paint on the guards today... they're going to look nice. Can't wait to put it all together, I can only imagine how it will look, it will be good to see if it turns out as I picture it!

8Track

Postby 8Track » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:01 pm

Really enjoying this thread. Keep up the good work!

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:35 pm

AnnaLB wrote: Unfortunately I already bought some new bars... can I buy the stem separately?
Yep, just make sure you get a stem to suit the bars you have, as there are 25.4mm and 26.0mm options. (measured at the centre ribbed section).

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:35 am

I might have a stem to suit once you check the size Anna. If so, you can have it for postage cost, just to see this fine old lady back on the streets.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011