Hard Rubbish/Flea market finds

TopSide

Re: Hard Rubbish/Flea market finds

Postby TopSide » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:09 am

gazo wrote:Wondering if anyone could help ID the age and model of this Apollo?

Not a Kuwahara serial format. 1991 model maybe?

. . .

The serial number should be on the lower seat tube, non-driveside, and stamped vertically. If the bicycle has been painted then it may be difficult to see. If it is a Kuwahara serial number, then it will give the year and month of the frame.

gazo

Postby gazo » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:37 am

TopSide wrote:
gazo wrote:Wondering if anyone could help ID the age and model of this Apollo?

Not a Kuwahara serial format. 1991 model maybe?

. . .

The serial number should be on the lower seat tube, non-driveside, and stamped vertically. If the bicycle has been painted then it may be difficult to see. If it is a Kuwahara serial number, then it will give the year and month of the frame.
Thanks, Topside. We already established earlier in this thread that it was a police number etched on the underside. But you've reminded me to go buy some paint stripper and the serial number (buried inder paint but in the right place) reveals all - 79 08 5629 = August 1979 model! Damaged stickers underneath also appearing...

I thought it might be 80s as the shifters are up on the stem. So now my only question is what model it is? No Apollo I/II/III/IV/V sticker on the top tube. I saw a few Apollo IIIs on the Apollo thread that look similar. Without the stickers, is frame weight the only indicator?

maccayak

Postby maccayak » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:15 pm

Found an old bike just before it got to the tip shop, still had to pay for it but at $15 it was good for a few parts. I will try to upload an image.
ImageImageImage Image
It has been made out of bits and pieces, some pieces seem quite old and some not so. The frame has had a hard life, probably just scrap it and keep the bits. Has a SA 3 speed on 28inch rim, front is 27. 3 speed selector is in great condition, I will use the head stem and seat post on an old roadster I have. I think the handle bars would have been good in their day but the bike has been dropped a lot of times and the bar is bent. Anyway, I got some good parts.
Cheers Geoff

DarrylH

Postby DarrylH » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:24 pm

I thought it might be 80s as the shifters are up on the stem. So now my only question is what model it is? No Apollo I/II/III/IV/V sticker on the top tube. I saw a few Apollo IIIs on the Apollo thread that look similar. Without the stickers, is frame weight the only indicator?
gazo
Definately a I or II as all higher models had down-tube shifters. Re the earlier comments about the etched number on the BB, the general police policy at that time was to use the owners drivers licence number preceded by the initial letter of the state of issue. Therefore it could have been a Tassie bike.

TopSide

Postby TopSide » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:22 pm

gazo wrote: . . . and the serial number (buried inder paint but in the right place) reveals all - 79 08 5629 = August 1979 model! Damaged stickers underneath also appearing...

. . .
Your serial number is very close to the one seen in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=77976" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .

The last part of the serial number is usually 5 digits.

The Fixer

Postby The Fixer » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:02 pm

DarrylH wrote:
gazo
Definately a I or II as all higher models had down-tube shifters. Re the earlier comments about the etched number on the BB, the general police policy at that time was to use the owners drivers licence number preceded by the initial letter of the state of issue. Therefore it could have been a Tassie bike.
It looks very much like my 1980 Apollo III (below), but mine does not have a Kuwahara frame.

Frame no. is under the BB and not in 'date' format.

I don't care if it's a $20 Huffy or a $20k Colnago, as long as you're riding, and you're happy.

landyacht

Postby landyacht » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:05 pm

maccayak wrote:Found an old bike just before it got to the tip shop, still had to pay for it but at $15 it was good for a few parts. I will try to upload an image.
ImageImageImage Image
It has been made out of bits and pieces, some pieces seem quite old and some not so. The frame has had a hard life, probably just scrap it and keep the bits. Has a SA 3 speed on 28inch rim, front is 27. 3 speed selector is in great condition, I will use the head stem and seat post on an old roadster I have. I think the handle bars would have been good in their day but the bike has been dropped a lot of times and the bar is bent. Anyway, I got some good parts.
Cheers Geoff
any chance of a veiw of the whole bike (drive side) :?:

tgcal

Postby tgcal » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:11 pm

Picked this up for $2 from the tip. I couldn't resist. I believe it is a Centurion Lemans.

munga

Postby munga » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:08 pm

that colour scheme says Repco LeMans to me

maccayak

Postby maccayak » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:52 pm

On the way home from work today out of the corner of my eye I saw an old bike standing up at the front of a garage sale. It looked very old, thought it was worth a look. When I checked it at first I was disappointed because it was smaller than normal and a girls bike, but it was old and in very good condition for its age. I thought what the heck and just as I was buying it my wife drove by and caught me. It was an old Repco girls bike with 24" wheels. The front head stem has 2 "R's" in the frame, has old waterslide decals.. But I guess there are not too many that survived. Has old Olympic tyres, tubes don't hold air, but its all there. I will post photos tomorrow. It has a ser' No near the seat bolt 41122. It has Williams cranks, where do I find the date code on them?
Last edited by maccayak on Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:16 pm

munga wrote:that colour scheme says Repco LeMans to me
Was thinking the same thing. Even the style of 'le mans' lettering on the TT
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

tgcal

Postby tgcal » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:08 pm

HappyHumber wrote:
munga wrote:that colour scheme says Repco LeMans to me
Was thinking the same thing. Even the style of 'le mans' lettering on the TT
Thanks for the info.

maccayak

Postby maccayak » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:41 pm

maccayak wrote:On the way home from work today out of the corner of my eye I saw an old bike standing up at the front of a garage sale. It looked very old, thought it was worth a look. When I checked it at first I was disappointed because it was smaller than normal and a girls bike, but it was old and in very good condition for its age. I thought what the heck and just as I was buying it my wife drove by and caught me. It was an old Repco girls bike with 24" wheels. The front head stem has 2 "R's" in the frame, has old waterslide decals.. But I guess there are not too many that survived. Has old Olympic tyres, tubes don't hold air, but its all there. I will post photos tomorrow. It has a ser' No near the seat bolt 41122. It has Williams cranks, where do I find the date code on them?
I found a ZE marking on the crank, so would that make it a 64 model? There is a 40 stamped above the ZE. Maybe 40 tooth? Anyone know of a good place to buy 24 x 1 3/8 tyres that are black?
Cheers Geoff

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:58 pm

I believe Moruya Bicycles have 24 x 1 3/8" tyres, i can't check atm as my connection is very slow.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

duncan16v

Postby duncan16v » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:00 pm

These are great: http://www.this link is broken/au/e ... 4294941519" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - I've used the Schwalbes on a couple of Gitane folding bikes and they ride really well.

Another alternative is here: http://www.velogear.com.au/bike-parts/b ... black.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - they're local and aren't blingy with Schwalbe logos and reflective bands and all.

There's also a gumwall Schwalbe option available locally, I believe.

maccayak

Postby maccayak » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:49 pm

ldrcycles wrote:I believe Moruya Bicycles have 24 x 1 3/8" tyres, i can't check atm as my connection is very slow.
Yes they are on their website so thanks. The only thing that does not look original is the seat. Any idea what sort of seat it would have had originally? Being a girls bike it will probably be hard to find something original.

Cheers Geoff

koshari

Postby koshari » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:30 pm

Went for a ride round loch sport on the weekend. Hard rubbish week and plenty of stuff on the street but no bicycles worth recycling :-(
But I did find a cool fussball table!

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:02 pm

koshari wrote:Went for a ride round loch sport on the weekend. Hard rubbish week and plenty of stuff on the street but no bicycles worth recycling :-(
Hey i found a fussball table earlier this year on roadside collection! The wife was not impressed though :) .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

mark field

Postby mark field » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:10 am

i always seem to be 5 mins to late, as i more often than not find myself driving past old utes with a cage- stacked to the top , full of bikes and the standard washing machine, a basketball hoop and sometimes an abb doer or 3 piece outdoor setting from bunnings.
steel is the real deal.

koshari

Postby koshari » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:59 am

ldrcycles wrote:
koshari wrote:Went for a ride round loch sport on the weekend. Hard rubbish week and plenty of stuff on the street but no bicycles worth recycling :-(
Hey i found a fussball table earlier this year on roadside collection! The wife was not impressed though :) .
the initial excitement waned a little when i realiased i didnt have any foosballs, tried to play with a golf ball but it didnt fit in the goal :-(

now waiting for some balls to arrive from ebay. hopefully it will get a good workout over xmas.

Ferrovelo

Postby Ferrovelo » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:27 pm

Hi All, picked up this one on the weekend at a garage sale.
I can't spot and clues as to its true identity but the lugs are fairly distinctive so perhaps (hoping) someone might recognise them and be able to speculate on its origins?
Horizontal rear forks, oiler on BB, matching lug work on forks, BB, seat stay. No braised on mounts for shifters etc.

More pictures here.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1149819892 ... directlink" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Do you think the seat is original?

Last edited by Ferrovelo on Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:14 pm

amrjon wrote:More pictures here.
https://plus.google.com/photos/11498198 ... banner=pwa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Album not pub-licky viewable.
--

Ferrovelo

Postby Ferrovelo » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:35 pm

Thanks, trying again

https://picasaweb.google.com/1149819892 ... directlink" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:38 pm

Looks better. I had a feeling the Q about the seat was going to be a joke. :wink:
I can't offer any suggestions or info about the frame, but I hope she's solid under the layers of her 'evolution'!
--

Ferrovelo

Postby Ferrovelo » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:54 pm

Yeah there are some layers on there. I couldn't see signs of anything serious, but I guess you never know what you might find.
Thanks for taking a look anyway.