2015 Sydney Classic Bicycle Show

Imwit

Re: 2015 Sydney Classic Bicycle Show

Postby Imwit » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:01 pm

More photos on cycle exif blog

Johnj

Postby Johnj » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:12 am

Just on a personal note, I'd like to thank the concours judges several of whom frequent this forum; Chris (Toff) Harris, Richard Horrocks, John Kitchen, Quang Vuong, Mike Webber and Roger Webber. Quang certainly worked hard to get the concours bikes in order.

It was funny wheeling my Speedwell Olympic out of the concours onto the track, racing (and coming last) and then putting it back on the stand, only to have the concours judges complain that the Look pedals weren't period correct....

Caught up with quite a few other forumites, including Danny, Bruce, Minh, Spirito and Andy (in the distance). Apologies to anyone I missed. It's the personal contacts I enjoy, I even had a brief chat with Gordon Tisdell. :D

Lindsay organised the penny farthing racing and was incredibly relieved when it all went off without a stack. The penny scratch race was a great spectacle, amazing to see some of the riders (particularly Hugh McLaurin) right at the top of the banking. They were braver than me. Maybe next year?

As promised I took my Blackbird along, as did Agostino (Austin) Danelutti, who raced his with the APIA club (I think) in the 1960s. Incidentally Austin is this years Over-70 National penny farthing champion. I chatted to a few people about Blackbirds and got a photo of myself and Austin next to our bikes.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:34 am

Johnj wrote:
As promised I took my Blackbird along, as did Agostino (Austin) Danelutti, who raced his with the APIA club (I think) in the 1960s. Incidentally Austin is this years Over-70 National penny farthing champion. I chatted to a few people about Blackbirds and got a photo of myself and Austin next to our bikes.

I missed you somehow John but I had about 3 looooong chats with Austin while I drooled over the Blackbirds which I had driven 2 hours to see.
As mentioned in other threads my dad and his brothers all rode Blackbirds so I was very pleased to see a couple in the flesh.
Catch you another time Im sure.
Cheers

Typhoon Ken

Postby Typhoon Ken » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:14 pm

Johnj wrote: I even had a brief chat with Gordon Tisdell. :D
That would have been enlightening, he turned up two years ago with tales of old and pictures to show. After some investigation I found that they were just that, tales (very tall ones) and I quickly found more of the same as in your link. Tells a good story though. [WHITE SMILING FACE]

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Thu May 07, 2015 5:37 pm

The Penny Farthing race this year was fun to watch..

OS they go one step further
Velodrome Oerlikon Zürich De schnällscht Züri-Leu 2012

Rob