Lo-Pro/TT/Funny Bike Appreciation Society

adam_b83

Re: Lo-Pro/TT/Funny Bike Appreciation Society

Postby adam_b83 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:03 am

Ive got a similar Hillman project under way too.
it was built by gordan hill in 1983 from Reynolds 531. ill get some new decals and will build the wheels for it soon too.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:08 am

Other than the first two, all of them are double 700c. Anyone know why they were like this, rather than with the smaller front wheel? And they actually look UCI legal to me. Do you ever get on the track with them?
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

Ant_S

Postby Ant_S » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:01 pm

I'm glad I posted up, got some really nice bikes coming through again!

Yeah I guess the Contarino does have some funny proportions. I felt it added to the overall unusual look of it though, along with being triple triangle and the fade paint it is pretty unique. I was mostly wanting to buy it as a house entry hall decoration / conversation piece as it looked pretty much mint condition! Let us know if the guy who bought it wants to sell..! haha

I'll be interested to see how I go on the Vertex, if I can get comfortable given it is really a bit too big. I'm about 5'8 but in the past I managed to ride a 58cm SS & some 56cm roadies. My 'daily ride' SS is a Medium Fuji with a 54st / 55tt & 90mm stem. The LBS recommended the size so I went with it but I still feel like its not perfect, I need to get a proper fitting I guess. The Vertex is a 58, but effective tt seems more like 55.

QV - the bars I got given with my Vertex are the same Scott DH you put on your bike earlier in this thread. How are they in comparison to Mavic type bullhorns to ride with?
Last edited by Ant_S on Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cray-

Postby cray- » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:02 pm

Ant_S wrote:Then about 3-4 months ago a sweet Contarino lo pro popped up on Gumtree, which I believe was a custom made job by a Perth local builder. I messaged the guy and it was my size give or take. Somehow it sat there for over a week with no-one snapping it up, but lamely at the time I couldn't get $500 together so I was kicking myself over that! Image of it below, but there is a gallery of pics the previous owner took floating around online:

Nice! I've got a soft spot for the triple triangle design, paint looks schmick too, shame you missed out. I know exactly where that photo was taken too: Faull Park off Fifth Ave in Mt Lawley. We have Nerf wars there.... yes I have other, even nerdier hobbies besides old bikes.

PANZR: drool worthy as usual.

adam_b83: those crown mounted stems always fill me with fear.

Ant_S

Postby Ant_S » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:07 pm

cray- yep, in my younger years I would've just gotten a small loan for $500 and snagged it. Being just over 30 now my better sense kicked in :(

old steel Bikes

Postby old steel Bikes » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:51 am

Pinarello painted in Banesto colours running Campagnolo Chorus groupset including Monoplane brakes. 7 speed with friction shifters, the handlebars have had 1 inch taken off them.

PANZR

Postby PANZR » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:11 pm

That Pinarello is fantastic. Very desirable
adam_b83 wrote:
PANZR wrote:Image
this is something else!
do you have some close up of the fork crown/stem/handlebar arrangement?
Just phone pics at the mo'

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:25 pm

Berretto:

Kenevans:

Both are great fun to ride.
Last edited by GaryF on Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cray-

Postby cray- » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:18 pm

While looking for a bit of info on Shimano Santé groupset schuberj used on his Tri-A build, I came across this gorgeous specimen:

And this Miyata is quite nice as well:

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:02 pm

I'd post a picture of my Vertex once I put the bar tape on, but I'm afraid I'd be excommunicated.

It is now my commuter, but I think it would successfully offend the Lo-Pro society, the Fixie Society and the Commuter society in the space of one photo.

It came to me as a typical Vertex, 8spd DT shifters, RX100 running gear etc. However the stem was too short for me. I had a longer stem, but the chop'n'flop bars were 25.4mm and my longer stem was for 26.0mm. So I stuck on some 38cm drop bars that originally graced my wife's bike. I have also fitted some clip-on TT bars.

For various reasons it now has a rear wheel from an old hybrid on it giving it a 16T fixed gear, but leaving the derailleurs in place, so that a wheel and a chain is all that is required to give it some gears. As a concession to it's current role as a commuter it's rocking a Schwalbe Marathon rear tyre, and the 36 spoke 650C front wheel is borrowed from my wife's bike. The tyre is a nondescript 23mm tyre but with a tyre liner made from the original 20mm tyre, with the rotten sidewalls cut off. (I'm keeping other wheels for race wheels.)

Since I happened to have an old set of 9spd DA brifters, they are mounted on the bars for the moment. Sooner or later I will probably go with them as a 9spd setup for race mode.

The front end could easily go lower, because I have stuck an extra stem on the front in order to mount an extra bar (curtain rod) as the mount point for a light and camera.

To top off the hideousness, I have put on a clamp on rear rack, so that I can carry my small bag of necessities to and from work.

All in all it a fun bike for my short little commute, and it would only take a couple of minutes to turn it into a TT bike on the few occasions I can race it. (Not UCI legal but ok for Tri and probably AVCC too.)

Cheers,

Cameron

minhyy

Postby minhyy » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:16 pm

after the bartape is applied, pics or it didn't happen!
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

cray-

Postby cray- » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:35 pm

ironhanglider wrote:It is now my commuter, but I think it would successfully offend the Lo-Pro society, the Fixie Society and the Commuter society in the space of one photo.
This is exactly the reason why you must post a photo!

Brian spencer

Postby Brian spencer » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:57 am

Alaskan wrote:
Sun May 18, 2014 6:30 pm
Awesome bikes!I just got one myself and I'm currently building it.It's a custom made frame of Reynolds 531c but has no number stamps or markings anywhere other than a Reynolds tubing sticker.It's well made with a sloping top tube and 650c-700 wheels.I am a noob and don't have enough posts to put up pics but will as soon as I can.Maybe do a build up and get some ideas from you mob. :)
Hi sorry to jump on an old post I have just bought the same bike as your post in the UK 🇬🇧 have you any idea what it is please can’t find anything on it except your picture after days of searching the internet .

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:31 am

Brian spencer wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:57 am
Hi sorry to jump on an old post I have just bought the same bike as your post in the UK have you any idea what it is please can’t find anything on it except your picture after days of searching the internet .

Hi Brian, and welcome.

Can you provide some pics as we love speculating on possible frame marques.

Brian spencer

Postby Brian spencer » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:37 pm

how do I attach pictures please new to the site

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:47 pm

Brian spencer wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:37 pm
how do I attach pictures please new to the site

Instructions:

https://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/view ... =6&t=23303

In summary you'll need to upload your photos to an image hosting site (postimages, imgur, flickr, etc...NOT photobucket.) Then you'll need to grab the URL/BB Code/link so that this (without the spaces):

[ img ]https://i.postimg.cc/bJZb6qVG/Busker.jpg[ /img ]

becomes this:

Brian spencer

Postby Brian spencer » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:19 pm

is there any chance you are on face book or personal email as have no image accounts

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:42 pm

Brian spencer wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:19 pm
is there any chance you are on face book or personal email as have no image accounts
Just join Flickr ... :D

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:53 pm

Derny Driver wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:42 pm
Brian spencer wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:19 pm
Just join Flickr ... :D
Or Imgur.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

piledhigher

Postby piledhigher » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:01 am

Facebook is an image account

Or right click on a facebook pic and use 'copy image link'. A random from my feed, not lo pro.

Then highlight the link and press the Img button on the post a reply screen.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:25 pm

Posting for Brian spencer.

No real clues for me and no serial number, somebody might have an idea.