1962-ish FREJUS - Another shabby chrome frame

5antos

1962-ish FREJUS - Another shabby chrome frame

Postby 5antos » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:13 pm

Another chrome frame after the Rob Bailey a few weeks back. Picked this up locally on ebay last week. Bad photos and listed under 'old racing bike'. Spotted the seat cluster and had it sitting in my watch list for a week waiting for the last minute bidding war which didn't happen. The lads aren't on their game. So $35 later.....

Serial 97344 is consistent with a 1961/62 ish model a la http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Italy/ ... umbers.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Simlarish to http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Italy/ ... d_road.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Same Ambrosio Champion stem as the above and Universal MOd 61 brakes. Campagnolo front derailleur looks similar although I don't know my Campagnolo. Gran Sport? Campag headset too. Other than that all the other bits seem to be crappy '70s blow ins.

Chrome is tatty. A few patches starting to peel. Lots of rust speckling. Speckling would probably clean up with foil for now.

Both fork blades are a bit flattened on the outside below the crown. Looks like something was clamped to the fork at some point and ridiculously over-tightened. Can't figure out what.

Given it's condition and the likely cost, have to decide whether to invest the time this needs to redo chrome, make repairs and build it back up as roughly original.

So.........Super Corsa? Professional? I can't find a definitive description of Frejus models from the '60s. Any ideas? Had a look at Classic Lightweights and there's not a whole lot other than it would be one of the top models w/ grease nipple in the head tube and the cut in the seat lug.

NB.

LG

Re: 1962-ish FREJUS - Another shabby chrome frame

Postby LG » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:36 pm

Very nice pickup for the price, I'd be stoked for the parts alone! Chrome isn't a cheap fix, but this one will be worth it.
LG = Low Gear

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:24 pm

Nice buying. I saw it but was put off by the rusty top tube / head tube join, looked like it might have bingle stress.

5antos

Postby 5antos » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:30 am

What stress? :shock: I've googled that and I'm none the wiser.

You probably weren't wrong. Photos didn't tell the half of it. Head tube junction is probably OK. Maybe. Cleaned up rust tonight and seems intact beneath. Will see what I find inside the head tube when I get in there. Worth it for the handful of good parts but wouldn't have been so happy paying any more. May be worth building up as a bit of fun but unfortunately not worth spending money on. Too much to fix & straighten. More likely it ends up on the wall.

I suspect it was a kerbside pickup flipped. Would be nice to know it's story though and how it ended up in Gosnells.

Marc F

Postby Marc F » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:57 am

Hello Santos,
If you are interested in moving the Frejus on I may be interested depending on size etc. However I am new to the forum and haven't much clue how to private message or contact you to follow up.
Marc

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:27 pm

Bingle = Crash in UK dialect maybe Wa dialect also? :-)

Richard

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:14 am

By the amount of expat Poms here in Perth you're not wrong, Richard.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.