My 'new' Raleigh Sports

VeloGiro

My 'new' Raleigh Sports

Postby VeloGiro » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:52 am

Hi folks - This is the first time that have posted on this forum - I was gifted a lovely Raleigh Sports on the weekend - I have tinkered with and made bikes from scraps for years now but this is the first time i reckon i will be undertaking a restoration project...which i am really excited about!

Here's are some pics of the bike - from the serial number it rolled of the production line in February 1975 and its built in Nottingham...

No doubt I will have questions along the way - Hope it would be OK to run these past folks on the forum for advice...

Cheers - Johnno

rkelsen

Re: My 'new' Raleigh Sports

Postby rkelsen » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:06 am

Nice one. Looks like it's complete and original.

Should clean up nicely. 8)

VeloGiro

Postby VeloGiro » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:43 pm

rkelsen wrote:Nice one. Looks like it's complete and original.

Should clean up nicely. 8)
Thanks - Your notes re "complete and original" prompts my first restoration questions... or perhaps its testing the approach that i think i might take for some of the restoration.

I assume a restoration should aim aim to use all original 'fabric' if possible? IE Aim to use the original brake levers and brakes - etc.

If a part has to be replaced I reckon I would aim to replace it with something from that era or something secondhand which is close...For example the saddle is probably too far gone - to replace it with a shiny new brooks would likely look a bit daft?...replacing it with an old leather saddle with some character would to me make more sense?

Rust on the chrome bits... I think my approach will be to treat as much as i can and polish the polishable bits and accept the imperfections as age marks? The alternative would be to replace the chrome parts bars and stem etc - with suitable older parts?

Touch up painting the of the frame - (the soul of the bike!) I have no idea if this is a good idea? Its pretty rusty in patches...Part of me says keep the imperfections - another part of me aspires for the frame to be showroom?

OK...There's probably no right of wrong to any of this - BUT i have just realised that i have no real idea what to do...Preserve (keep it exactly the same) ? Conserve (manage necessary changes well) ? or Adapt (put on the new brooks saddle and repaint it)?

Thoughts and experiences would be welcomed and appreciated!

Here's a full picImage

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:54 pm

My thought would be just to clean it up. Brush the rust off, oil it, regrease the bearings and put it back together as is.

Repainting it is a sure fire way to destroy it's value. "It's only original once."

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:31 am

The cost in getting it back to showroom condition would be difficult to justify for this bike.
I would encourage you to dismantle and then treat each component as required.
Replace cables and outers, brake pads. Tyres and tubes as necessary.
If you need specific advice about individual components and their treatment, just ask. Photos of the current state will assist to get the best advice.
It should be a very satisfying project.
Keep updating the thread with your progress.

More photos of the saddle are needed.

VeloGiro

Postby VeloGiro » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:16 am

Thanks rkelsen and CS for your thoughts and advice...I'll be making a start on the bike this weekend. Good idea re dismantling and treating each component. I'll send though updates as the restoration progresses...Oh and i will shoot through an image of the saddle tonight...

Thanks again!

VeloGiro

Postby VeloGiro » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:11 am

I was tinkering a bit last night - The bell was well seized and i assumed i would be looking for a new (old) bell to replace it. Not so - a bit of WD40 and the mechanism freed up - a quick application of Oxalic Acid on the shell and a foil rub and its come up a treat! Think i am going to have some fun with this restoration!

A question re spokes - I would assume that they should be left in the state they are currently in - they are not at all rusty but have oxidised to a dull uniform grey...I remember years ago using a superfine steel wool to polish dull spokes shiny - i couldn't stop them from rusting from that point on...Any thoughts on spoke treatments?

Cheers

VeloGiro

Postby VeloGiro » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:23 am

Spokes and Bearings?
VeloGiro wrote: A question re spokes - I would assume that they should be left in the state they are currently in - they are not at all rusty but have oxidised to a dull uniform grey...I remember years ago using a superfine steel wool to polish dull spokes shiny - i couldn't stop them from rusting from that point on...Any thoughts on spoke treatments?
And I am going to have to purchase new headset bearings - when i took the headset off the bike to clean it, yep... bearings bounced off everywhere - :oops: No chance of recovering all of the them - Does anyone know what size they would likely be? There were lots of them and they were really quite small...

Aside from that the restoration in progressing well - All the chrome parts are coming up a treat! I'll post a few pics soon...

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:45 am

Do you have an old world bike shop you can use?
They should have them in plastic packets. Otherwise take a few as a sample and go to
https://www.conbear.com.au/content/111 and buy a set. And buy some spares.
I managed to service a 3 speed freewheel a week ago and lost none. A major achievement for me.
I am enjoying your project and the way you are thoughtfully approaching it.

cycles gitane
Location: Near the Dandenong Creek cycle trail, Eastern Melbourne

Postby cycles gitane » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:06 am

As always Sheldon Brown has the answers........

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/headsets.html

Plenty of good information on this website in general.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers
There is NO room in the shed for the next bike! New shed rqd.

cycles gitane
Location: Near the Dandenong Creek cycle trail, Eastern Melbourne

Postby cycles gitane » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:08 am

PS
Abbotsford Cycles should have loose bearings and/or the caged bearings
There is NO room in the shed for the next bike! New shed rqd.

VeloGiro

Postby VeloGiro » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:14 pm

Thanks CS and CG - Abbotsford Cycles it is then! Cheers

VeloGiro

Postby VeloGiro » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:03 am

The project is coming along nicely...Here are a couple of images...

With all of the chrome work done is there any advice or tips on preventing the rust coming back - or at least slowing it?

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:50 am

VeloGiro wrote: With all of the chrome work done is there any advice or tips on preventing the rust coming back - or at least slowing it?
I use a car wax, or some light oil on a cloth.

VeloGiro

Postby VeloGiro » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:12 pm

Thanks all - The restoration is pretty much done...thanks for all of your help and advice - this retro forum is a ripper!

I tried to capture the restoration in a blog...If your interested in having a look here is the link...Cheers

https://raleighsportblog.wordpress.com/

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:22 pm

Good job. Well done!

VeloGiro

Postby VeloGiro » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:16 am

rkelsen wrote:Good job. Well done!
Thanks rkelsen - I think it was your its only "original once" advice that got me focused...cheers

nemo57

Postby nemo57 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:26 pm

Looks to have turned out very sweet indeed!

VeloGiro

Postby VeloGiro » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:47 pm

I have given the bike a couple of nice long rides since 'completing' it's restoration - Its lovely and i really enjoy riding it. I am however finding the gearing is just a tad high given a couple of reasonably serious climbs that are on my preferred ride routes.

Its running a 3 speed Sturmey Archer 46:18 which affords a low gear at just a tick under 50 inches...which is perfect for gentle climbs and rises but i was huffing and puffing a couple times on the weekend wanting for something smaller (Oliver's Hill was case in point for the Melbourne folks!)

I am thinking to gear the bike lower - particularly for a century ride that i have planned for later in the year...But how low?

I have seen a couple of references to no less than a chainring: sprocket ratio of 2:1 - IE 46:23 - Any lower and there is apparently too much torque for the hub to reasonably handle - I am struggling to find a 23T sprocket but Abbotsford cycles has a 24T in stock - I am thinking this would be fine but it's below the specified SA mark.

Has anyone had experience in gearing a SA 3 speed hub lower than this spec'? Cheers - John

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:35 pm

Mozziediver

Postby Mozziediver » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:48 pm

https://chappelli.com/au/product/sturme ... -3spd-hub/

Have 22 tooth SA on website, might be worth a call.
Moz
------------
Surly LHT 2013, '74 Raleigh 20 folder updated, Focus Aventura2 ebike.

grantw

Postby grantw » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:04 pm

Nice job. When I was a kid I modded my SA equipped dragster with a 24T cog for better climbing and it worked really well as I recall, it certainly didn't break and it was doing a lot of trail riding at the time