I got given a new roadbike this week . A Flash
frame number 304
campag dropouts
campag front derailluer over a stronglight crank with 50/47 ring set
Zues gran sport rear derailleurand DT levers
campag seat post
chromed brooks B17 narrow
chromed frame and fork.
and its my size!!!!!!!! the family believes that it was ridden at the 62 commonwealth games in perth. the family name is Skinner. the bikes been added to to and had parts replaced over the years ,with bits from the 70's 80's 90's and the 00's.it even sports an early wireless speedo with cadence!
the bike was once sold to pay a pub beer debt ,but when the new owner went into a retirement home he passed it back to the family. now the last of them is off to the lifestyle village and they were looking for a home where the bike would continue to be ridden. it was last ridden only a few months ago.
The ride is ridiculously smooth and easy evn with the very narrow alloy bars.
ket.com/user/pauldaykal/media/IMG_20170328_163909_zps7utji8jd.jpg.html]Image[/URL]
sorry I cant find the flash appreciation thread. might need some help mr frith

landyacht

Re: Flash road bike

Postby landyacht » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:59 pm

sorry for crappy pics , but using a crap phone out doors on a fully chromed frame is hard.cant wait for this weeks coffee ride :D

scratchman

Postby scratchman » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:10 pm

very nice, a great find for sure.
what's with the seat tube bidon holder? never seen one like that before, not that I've seen a lot mind you!
Phil

landyacht

Postby landyacht » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:45 pm

its the first ive seen too. lots of bits changed and added over 50 years of use. Im inclined not too touch a thing. the rollers on the Rear derailleur barely have teeth but turn sooooo smooth. leave it alone I think. the campag front derailleur is wobbly but changes spot on, would like an alloy rim on the front to match the rear though. 27x1. I have some nice japanese ones but nice to match up the ambrosia

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:48 pm

landyacht wrote:sorry I cant find the flash appreciation thread. might need some help mr frith
I think maybe you've just created it!
What a great find. So good to see a Flash in good condition too, even if it has been updated over the years. I've added it to the WAHCC Flash register. There are only 12 bikes on the register to date, mine doesn't even have a serial number!

A couple of observations;
• the more "pro" Flash bikes seem to have 3 digit numbers, the cheaper commuter bikes have 4 digit frame numbers;
• Flash did a hell of a lot of chroming of their top end bikes.

It'd be interesting to know what you reckon the oldest component is on your new bike Paul. I'll run the name Skinner past club member George Nelson. Aside from collating WA race records from the beginning of cycle racing in WA I think he may have officiated at the Comm Games.

Anyway it would be a treat to see some more pics of the newest member of your family.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:02 am

scratchman wrote:very nice, a great find for sure.
what's with the seat tube bidon holder? never seen one like that before, not that I've seen a lot mind you!
That bottle cage bracket is a previous version of this, and is less than 10 years old.

It is possible to turn the bracket 90 degrees by undoing the centre bolt, so that you can mount a cage on the handlebars.

Cheers,

Cameron

landyacht

Postby landyacht » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:50 pm

pulled that cage off the flash and mounted on my MTB for long ride in a few weeks.. Ive cleaned it all back to ride it . oldest components would have to be bars and stem . The Zeus gear replaced the original rear derailleur.stronglight is probably original.and the B17narrow and campag seatpost. I rode a 40km training ride on saturday. grew a few muscles by the end. with some attention to rims and tyres this bike would be just a sniff under 10kg. very happy owner