Help with Malvern star 5 star info please :-)

Cam76

Help with Malvern star 5 star info please :-)

Postby Cam76 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:49 pm

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this forum and admittedly I know very little about bikes. I recently had an uncle pass away and I've been cleaning up his place, where I came across his old bike. He used to regularly ride from Adelaide to Port Augusta and from what I know, it was last ridden about 8 years ago. The stars on the frame piqued my curiosity, so I did a bit of googling and came to the conclusion that it might be a Malvern Star 5 star but beyond that I don't know anything else about when it might have been built or if the components are original etc. Excuse me if I use the wrong terminologies but from what I can see, it has Philippe handlebars, Hanabisi crankset and an Eagle groupset? Were these standard items on this style/era of bike?

As I said earlier, I'm not a cyclist so I really haven't worked out what I'll do with the bike. I'm tempted to just clean it and hang it up on the wall in my shed. But then another part of me thinks that these kinds of things should be used and enjoyed by an enthusiast (I restore vintage/muscle cars and believe they should be used)

Anything that you can tell me about this bike will be greatly appreciated. I haven't found a serial number but I also haven't looked much beyond where the cranks mount to the frame. Also, I apologise in advance if my photos haven't worked. I read the post on how to insert pics but I'm a bit new to all of this!

Thanks for your time :)
Cam

hiflange

Re: Help with Malvern star 5 star info please :-)

Postby hiflange » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:31 pm

Hi Cam, welcome to BNA :-) and your photos posted fine.

I'm chiming in because your post deserves a response... wiser heads than mine will doubtless make sensible contributions soon.

It is indeed a Malvern Star 5 Star, their top of the line frame for decades. You should be able to find a frame number on the RHS rear dropout, you might have to remove the wheel or at least the wheel nut to get a good look at it. MS frame numbers area bit of a minefield, again let's see it and somebody should be able to give a rough date for it's manufacture.

The components are a mix of periods and most are certainly not original, rear derailleur is the most obvious; the frame has rear facing dropouts which are not suited to derailleurs. Being a single speed frame it wouldn't have had a derailleur, front or rear. So the shift lever is also an addition, although it is a bit older, and early '60's Benelux Super. The chainset is '70's or '80's Japanese, and a bit of weird addition as it plainly has two rings but no derailleur mech - perhaps something that someone had kicking around when upgraditis hit?. Phillippe Stem is from '60's '70's according to Velobase (take that with a grain of salt though!)

Weinmann brakes (I think) look '70's. The Sturmey Archer dynohub is almost certainly not original equipment but could date back a ways. Sturmey rear hubs always have a date code, not sure about the dynohubs but it's worth checking. The vinyl covered saddle is certainly not original, and finally the pink paint... not original. All the same MS 5 stars are well made and sought after by collectors and restorers. That your uncle rode this for so long is a wonderful testament to the quality and usefulness of the frame.

Cam76

Postby Cam76 » Mon May 01, 2017 9:39 pm

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your informative reply to my post. You've given me a heap of information to follow up on and I'll definitely see if I can locate the serial number :D

Thanks again,
Cam

scratchman

Postby scratchman » Tue May 02, 2017 8:25 pm

yes, definitely a nice frame, we're glad you came here and asked too :)
Warren ( bicycle passion ) on here is the resident MS expert and I'm sure he'll
pop in with a comment and some help.
Phil

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Wed May 03, 2017 9:09 am

Cam76 wrote:But then another part of me thinks that these kinds of things should be used and enjoyed by an enthusiast (I restore vintage/muscle cars and believe they should be used)
Amen.

The only trouble with that is vintage parts are only getting more scarce and therefore more expensive, but I'd still rather see a bike being used than hanging on a wall.

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Thu May 04, 2017 9:38 pm

Probably mid 1950's 5 star frame. Post serial number if there is one. All parts later or not original except maybe head stem? Can you also post a pic of the seat stay bridge ( rear brake bridge). Thanks.