Protour frames

windlessdog

Protour frames

Postby windlessdog » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:19 pm

Hi i am just after any information on protour frames i have one that was bought around 1992 and built up i think its Tange 5 tubing but not sure of any details/info would be great thanks. :?

531db

Re: Protour frames

Postby 531db » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:16 pm

windlessdog wrote:Hi i am just after any information on protour frames i have one that was bought around 1992 and built up i think its Tange 5 tubing but not sure of any details/info would be great thanks. :?
Built in Adelaide by Southcott in late 1980's and very early 1990's in straight gauge Tange Cromo (5) tubing. Reasonable frames for training, touring and audax type riding and the price was ok as well.

biopace

Postby biopace » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:36 am

I have a protour complete bike that Im currently in the process of converting to SS. Has quite a tight frame geometry to it and feels nice to ride.

windlessdog

protour

Postby windlessdog » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:52 pm

I would love to see a picture of the bike also pitures of any original decals as my frame has no decals on it thanks for the info so far.

biopace

Re: protour

Postby biopace » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:08 am

windlessdog wrote:I would love to see a picture of the bike also pitures of any original decals as my frame has no decals on it thanks for the info so far.
I have some pics that I will try and figure out how to post up.

biopace

Postby biopace » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:30 pm

Sorry its taken a while to post the pics. Wasnt sure how to do it so hope this works.
Im in the process of stripping the bike down and rebuilding.

windlessdog

Postby windlessdog » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:08 pm

Hey thanks Biopace the frame looks very similar if not the same as mine but different paint good to see what the decals look like, nothing fancy i guess i will post some pics of mine when i figure this techno stuff out :D

windlessdog

Postby windlessdog » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:26 pm

Image I hope that this has worked i finally hit ten posts so here is the bike i ve owned since i was 15 now I am 41 some parts like rims,tyres, frame,handle bars and seat have been renewed but groupset hubs seat post live on.

windlessdog

Postby windlessdog » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:00 pm

Hi just putting this up again as i dont know how to do a link to the new protour post ooroo

sepeda

Postby sepeda » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:11 pm

my protour bike

- Customize Ur Soul -

penseleit

Postby penseleit » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:44 am

I have a ProTour which I use as a commuter.

It is black and white with SunTour components and 10 Speed gearing.

The frame has a decal which says it is made from Manganese Alloy, which is a type of steel made with Manganese rather than Chromium as far as I understand.
Not quite as light as Chromoly but:

"Mangalloy is a unique non-magnetic steel with extreme anti-wear properties. The material is very resistant to abrasion and will achieve up three times its surface hardness during conditions of impact, without any increase in brittleness which is usually associated with hardness.[2] This allows mangalloy to retain its toughness."

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mangalloy

So I guess it is tough.
Last edited by penseleit on Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

sepeda

Postby sepeda » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:06 pm

mine is Protour Cavalier

frame has a sticker Tange Infinity

- Customize Ur Soul -

repcopete

Postby repcopete » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:11 pm

Hi I'm a newbie. Just thought I'd bump this thread as it's hard to find, and has good pictures.
I have 2 Protour men's road bikes, and they seem tough and reliable.
Cheers,
pete

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:29 pm

I had a 100 series years ago, and it rode very nicely. Ended up swapping it to a panel beater in exchange for a respray on my Dawes, he resprayed and rebuilt the ProTour and took it to the UK. I'd love to know if he's still riding it.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

KTMkaos

Postby KTMkaos » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:42 pm

How do I post pics? I have just got a 80's pro tour & wanted to post some pics of it.. Thanks.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:02 pm

KTMkaos wrote:How do I post pics? I have just got a 80's pro tour & wanted to post some pics of it.. Thanks.
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... =6&t=23303

flying dragon

Postby flying dragon » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:18 am

I've got a 100 series Mixte frame in Mangaloy...this is a slow re-build for my wife. I built it up once before as a 10 (2 x 5) speed but she couldn't get the hang of the gears. I'm going to re-build it as a 3 speed and this should suit her nicely. It's a cool frame for a Mixte and actually has quite nice lugwork.

Dervish

Postby Dervish » Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:39 pm

I'm at my parent's house for Christmas and have dug out the bikes which I think probably originally got me into cycling in the first place - my parents' ProTours. We would ride as a family most weekends around the 'burbs of southern Sydney, Dad on his ProTour leading the way. My father reckons he bought in 1990, and as a kid I thought they were really special (Australian made!). I still have a respect for their workmanlike construction; bikes for people who just rode around for fun, without any of the pretences of the modern cycling industry.

My father's bike, a CRX-200. Gearing is all Suntour Accushift 2000, the rest of the equipment is unmarked, and unremarkable. He reckons it might've had drop bars but he asked for it to be converted to flat bars before it left the shop, he's not certain. At some point recently it has also had 700C wheels put on. It has enough braze-ons to make it a decent utility bike.

My mother's ProTour mixte. It has the same Suntour Accushift 2000 gear, but it also has a Sakae FX SLP crankset which seems out of place. Perhaps the bike shop had it spare and thought it looked good on the white bike. It has a Sanyo lighting setup as well, which I'm certain has never been used.

I find it incredible how wonky the stickers are on these frames, it seems odd to put so much effort into brazing together a frame and painting it to then slap stickers on blindfolded.

They make a good pair. Riding Dad's bike around this morning was a strange experience; thinking about how I would've been riding beside this very bike 30-odd years ago, initially with training wheels on!

nemo57

Postby nemo57 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:22 pm

My guess is that the SunTour/Sakae combination is correct.
SunTour introduced Accushift in 1987-8; around that time they were taken over by Mori Industries, which already owned Sakae-RIngyo. So it wd make sense for SunTour derailleurs, sprockets & chain wheels to be sold with Sakae parts, where previously SunTour had allied with Sugino for cranks/BBs, Dia-Compe for brakes and so on. Unlike Shimano, which made all its own components, SunTour only ever manufactured its own drive train parts - anything else with its name on it came from another manufacturer.

Roisin79

Postby Roisin79 » Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:14 am

A ProTour was my first "light" bike, probably my second or third road bike. but the one on which I learnt how to do maintenance. One day I looked at the rear and noticed the triangle was about 7mm off-centre. Immediately stripped it and put it on the front lawn - no room for sentiment here in the NW subs :roll:

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Sat Dec 25, 2021 3:19 pm

A bit of a cross-post as I was asking for Info on this bike in a separate thread but just to add to this thread here is my 1993(?) Cavalier. Although between the previous owner and myself I suspect the only original component is the headset.

Frame No is 9314441N stamped (from the L/H side across) under bottom bracket with a rogue '2' stamped seemingly randomly at an angle on the r/h side well away from the main number.
It has been suggested to me by an ex-bike shop owner that the frame number can be read thus:
93 - year of manufacture
1 - month of manufacture
444 - sequence of manufacture (that month?)
1N (IN?) - model or builder

and the rogue 2 may be a painters mark to indicate the required colour scheme.

Now, I've seen a couple of ProTour Cavaliers since and their frame numbers end in 'C' which leads me to infer that maybe mine was meant to be a NovaLite (which AFAIK was the same frame with better components) but got built with the cheaper bits, then stickered and sold as a Cavalier, maybe cos there was more demand for that model? I know this sort of thing happened at the Dawes factory back home in the UK, both up and down the range....
Richard

80's Rider

Postby 80's Rider » Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:56 pm

Here is my contribution.
A 1995 Protour Stealth.
Bought at the tip shop, tidied up and sold it (as it was slightly too big for me).
Bare frame was 2.64 kgs. Total bike weight was about 11.5 kgs.