eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

ironhanglider

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby ironhanglider » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:48 am

Track tandems are pretty rare.

Not a lot of call to use them except in para-cycling and even then the opportunities are limited.

I'm not bidding on it as it is too far away and likely too small, but I see that it has attracted bids.

I would consider racing it mainly on the basis that it is a "proper" track tandem, although the headset might concern me.

I wonder who else would bid on such a thing?

Cheers,

Cameron

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:03 pm

ironhanglider wrote:Track tandems are pretty rare.

I would consider racing it mainly on the basis that it is a "proper" track tandem, although the headset might concern me. I wonder who else would bid on such a thing? Cheers, Cameron
not me thats for sure :D , it looks heavy and old, may have been raced but don't think its a "racing" tandem, looks solid enough to be an old touring tandem modified (originally with hub gears and brakes maybe?) I'm no tandem expert though. What's wrong with the headset?
Ozpushies! for ALL Australian made bikes.
"It's only original once"

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:12 pm

Torana68 wrote:

I would consider racing it mainly on the basis that it is a "proper" track tandem, although the headset might concern me. I wonder who else would bid on such a thing? Cheers, Cameron
not me thats for sure :D , it looks heavy and old, may have been raced but don't think its a "racing" tandem, looks solid enough to be an old touring tandem modified (originally with hub gears and brakes maybe?) I'm no tandem expert though. What's wrong with the headset?
Old certainly, and probably heavy, but there are not many tandem frames around for reasonable cost at any weight. Besides there are no hills to climb on the velodrome, and the difference between a heavy frame and a light frame is only 1 or 2 kg - which is hardly a game changer when you are trying to get 200kg moving off the line.

I raced last track season on a bike that was clearly a road tandem (dropouts not fork ends, cable guides and cantilever studs). The rules at the local velodrome specify that only 'track bikes' can be used ostensibly for pedal clearance issues because the banking is too steep. I had to be prepared to argue that the clearance on that tandem (60mm BB drop and 165mm cranks) was exactly the same as my track bike (55mm BB drop and 170mm cranks), although in the end no-one challenged it. If it looked like this one there would be no questions, even if the clearance was actually worse. BTW my (531 Tandem) frame weighs 5kg when completely stripped with another 1.5kg for the forks. Aluminium road frames are typically around 4kg but I suspect Carbon or Magnesium frames can get below 3kg. Even so several of Australia's elite tandem teams use Perkins steel frames.

I'm only wary of the headset because of my own lack of familiarity with the type, and concern that if parts were worn/pitted that replacements might be harder to come by.

Cheers,

Cameron

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:51 pm

I'm only wary of the headset because of my own lack of familiarity with the type, and concern that if parts were worn/pitted that replacements might be harder to come by.

your LBS wont be able to help but they are available, those are usually pretty bullet proof.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:02 pm

It may be old and heavy, but it is probably still better than what Mockridge and Cox had to contend with at the Helsinki Olympics in 52
Anything you can do, I can do slower

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:44 pm

Cheers,

Cameron
Me for one, a confirmed tandem fanatic. As mentioned elsewhere track tandems worry more about stiffness than weight and steel frames have carried on in this sphere more than elsewhere.
Track tandems can be made roadworthy by use of drum brakes or Resilion cantilevers if you are rich. I have fond memories of a Claud Butler Short Wheelbase trackie we had 'on loan' with mixed Resilion and rear drum, steel Chater cranks and a hybrid 4 speed Sturmey/3 cog conversion and Cyclo clamp-on derailleur. Screamed around Essex like a banshee!
Parts are available for 'odd' headsets from the Tandem Club in the UK.
If it was not so far North I'd be in it!

Richard

koen

Postby koen » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:52 pm

find_bruce wrote:It may be old and heavy, but it is probably still better than what Mockridge and Cox had to contend with at the Helsinki Olympics in 52
A bit off topic ..sort of..As I recall from Mockridge's excellent book, they had to figure out how to put the bike together and had never ridden tandems before they got to Europe and it was decided they could race that event.
Having ridden tandems and track alot ...and then getting on a track tandem, I can only be in awe of their achievements. Track tandems at speed are a handful.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:08 pm

It doesn't look heavy to me. Once it was up to speed it would be like a runaway steam train [emoji1]

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:25 pm

anyway................. if you worship at the alter of Bruce, this may be for you

can you see this in your shed?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:33 pm

Torana68 wrote:anyway................. if you worship at the alter of Bruce, this may be for you

can you see this in your shed?
I thought that's a fairly small church, but perhaps you are referring to Mr Small :mrgreen:
Anything you can do, I can do slower

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:01 pm

WyvernRH wrote:track tandems worry more about stiffness than weight and steel frames have carried on in this sphere more than elsewhere.
That is a bit strange.

Stiffness is, mostly, a function of tube diameter. Big diameter Al tubes generally make a stiffer frame than small diameter steel tubes, for the same strength.

You could make a steel frame as stiff as an Al frame by making the tubes big - but to get the tube walls thick enough to not crumple as soon as you touch them, you'd end up with a very heavy (and unnecessarily strong) frame.

I would have thought that where stiffness is a key consideration - which I don't doubt is the case for track tandems - big fat thick-walled Al (or carbon) tubes would be the obvious choice.

I've had two (road) tandems, both steel framed. The current one, a KHS, is noticeably far stiffer than the previous, an old Gitane, but that's got more to do with the frame design... the Gitane was a mixte rear cockpit, which is never going to be a great success on a tandem :lol:

tim

feelthewheel

Postby feelthewheel » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:15 pm

One for fans of the Hoff :wink: in Brisvegas:

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/camp-hil ... 1084726310" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Imwit

Postby Imwit » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:13 pm

A couple of diamonds in the rough?

Really fancy lugs but a bent top tube. coolum

decent Speedwell under the red. Mt Druitt

morini

Postby morini » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:45 pm

Check out this wacky bike. It crosses a number of decades and component levels and is only $3250.00.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-road ... 419a493476" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Really interesting Italian frame from the 60's

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Circa-1960s- ... 1761363062" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:40 pm

morini wrote:Check out this wacky bike. It crosses a number of decades and component levels and is only $3250.00.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-road ... 419a493476" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I have rebuilt the bike to a high standard", and then didn't trim any of the cables :lol: .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

2wheels_mond

Postby 2wheels_mond » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:14 pm

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/margate/ ... 1085418913" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Old Look in Hobart, amazed it hasn't sold yet for $300.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:42 pm

WyvernRH wrote:

Cheers,

Cameron
Me for one, a confirmed tandem fanatic.
If it was not so far North I'd be in it!

Richard
I did discuss it with John and in the end we did bid on it. Had we won it we would have definitely raced on it. No loving, historically accurate builds here though, the thinking was to put some deep cheap wheels on it and whatever else was required to get it running.

However there were two bidders who were each willing to pay more than we were so good luck to them. I'd like to know what happens to it though. I used to race with David Browne, son of Ian. It is possible that Ian may know more of the provenance of this bike.

Cheers,

Cameron

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:54 pm

Ah, wasn't me, too far away...
Richard

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:32 am

Dunsborough WA seller has a Mercian King of Mercia and a panto'ed Kenevans up they both look pretty decent. If you're tall :-)

morini

Postby morini » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:37 am

and he says he might split the frame and the groupset on the Ken Evans.

munga

Postby munga » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:46 am

ldrcycles wrote:
morini wrote:Check out this wacky bike. It crosses a number of decades and component levels and is only $3250.00.

"I have rebuilt the bike to a high standard", and then didn't trim any of the cables :lol: .
is it a legnano?

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:20 am

RobertFrith wrote:Dunsborough WA seller has a Mercian King of Mercia and a panto'ed Kenevans up they both look pretty decent. If you're tall :-)
They look nice. Looking at his seatposts they must be a little to big for him. They look a little to small for me :(

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:51 am

munga wrote:
ldrcycles wrote:

is it a legnano?
Is the under top tube seatpost clamp bolt a sign for that? My first thought was MBK?
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

morini

Postby morini » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:13 pm

Good spotting Munga. Maybe it is? Did any of E. Bozzi & Co's Frejus frames have that as well?

At the current price he knows something but is it that frame or the Camgegnolo (sic) parts?

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:27 am

morini wrote:and he says he might split the frame and the groupset on the Ken Evans.
Are they 8spd levers with a 9spd RD?

Cheers,

Cameron