eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Derny Driver

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby Derny Driver » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:17 pm

Thanks Phillip, thanks Imwit
Yes I saw this Blackbird too.
To be honest, these old relics have little value apart from sentimental value. For myself, Don Blackman was a father to my own dad and his brothers. Don looked after the boys when they were growing up because their dad had died. Don gave my father and his brothers Blackbird bikes to start racing on. My dad, uncle Fred and Uncle Reg all became champions. Reg was twice madison champion of the world and a veteran of over 100 six day races in Europe.
Their Blackbird bikes are long gone and so you see my desire to have one, especially since my dad died last year. But even I would not pay that amount for the one on facebook. And if someone with my attachment to the name wont pay it, who will?
Sorry but its not even worth half that.

munga

Postby munga » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:45 pm

nothing to be sorry for. not my listing.
i think it's probably listed for five times times it actual market value, but there is one born every minute..
really only posted because you might have appreciateed the pics, and the lead.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:53 pm

munga wrote:nothing to be sorry for. not my listing.
i think it's probably listed for five times times it actual market value, but there is one born every minute..
really only posted because you might have appreciateed the pics, and the lead.
Cheers mate. This thread is all about overpriced bikes. Fits right in

LG

Postby LG » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:49 pm

Also congrats, looks like a good project and I hope you post some pics and details when you're able.
LG = Low Gear

Johnj

Postby Johnj » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:16 pm

Derny Driver wrote:No, better still, message me your address and I will post you my book which explains exactly what the BLACKBIRD brand means to me and my family. I won the bid and now have one. A shame my dad passed away last year and can't see it.

Bruce I am so excited I will probably just do the 6 hour round trip one night this week and pick it up myself. Thanks so much for your kind offer.
Looks like it originally had a Cyclo Standard derailleur, judging by the Cyclo bracket. Lugs are interesing too. I suspect its an older bike refurbished by Blackman.

Well, when this one's finished we should organise a Blackbird ride.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:42 pm

Looks like the fixie fad is over. Old Europa advertised as potential gravel grinder bike and no mention of the fixed thing.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2470564852
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:15 am

^ Opportunity lost. Seller could have doubled their money. ($0 x 2 = $0)

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:38 am

Clydesdale Scot wrote:Stripped of brakes
Stripped of the 'gallow's seatpost and substituted a conventional seatpost so the centre of the seat is now way back.
Stripped of the 'Major Taylor' stem and substituted with a quill stem to use with the headclip!
Bottle cage mounts make an interesting addition in the past.

I guess we can be grateful that he has spared this one from his regular "Hornet" in house branding

Perhaps he should give an additional lemon with each bike he sells (to deal with getting stung in the deal)
Aaand, he's still at it. Garbage S/S conversion using the spacer kit and what appears to be a very cheap single ring crankset, on a fairly nice Raleigh frame (the Raleigh fan inside me is screaming)

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-Ral ... 1438.l2649

At least he didn't tear off the brazed mounts and cable guides.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

feelthewheel

Postby feelthewheel » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:13 am

Derny Driver wrote:
find_bruce wrote:
feelthewheel wrote:Who's going to save these gems? Too far away for me unfortunately ... :(

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-Bic ... 100623.m-1

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/A-great-old ... 0009.m1982
I will be down near Ulladulla in a couple of weeks, before returning to Sydeny if anyone wanted the blackbird
feelthewheel I owe you a beer. No, better still, message me your address and I will post you my book which explains exactly what the BLACKBIRD brand means to me and my family. I won the bid and now have one. A shame my dad passed away last year and can't see it.

Bruce I am so excited I will probably just do the 6 hour round trip one night this week and pick it up myself. Thanks so much for your kind offer.
Hi Derny Driver. That's awesome news - I'm thrilled you won the Blackman. It obviously means a great deal to you, and for me that's what this forum is about, helping to preserve our cycling heritage. Thanks also to Bruce who's offer to collect meant you could bid with confidence. I was a bit sad the other bicycle only received one bid of $20, as it was obviously a really nice racer that had fallen on hard times. Hopefully it's not being cut up and powder-coated by some hipster.

Your generous offer of posting a book would be great, however my ability to send PM's has completely ceased ages ago - they just won't leave my outbox (Mods - any views on this?). It's one of the reasons by I haven't been active for a while. However if you could send me a PM I can see if that would work. Cheers!

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:18 am

feelthewheel wrote: Hi Derny Driver. That's awesome news - I'm thrilled you won the Blackman. It obviously means a great deal to you, and for me that's what this forum is about, helping to preserve our cycling heritage. Thanks also to Bruce who's offer to collect meant you could bid with confidence. I was a bit sad the other bicycle only received one bid of $20, as it was obviously a really nice racer that had fallen on hard times. Hopefully it's not being cut up and powder-coated by some hipster.

Your generous offer of posting a book would be great, however my ability to send PM's has completely ceased ages ago - they just won't leave my outbox (Mods - any views on this?). It's one of the reasons by I haven't been active for a while. However if you could send me a PM I can see if that would work. Cheers!
Ive sent you a message feelthewheel. My email is arnoldcycling@gmail.com
I actually asked where the $20 bike was located as I was interested in the Phillipe stem. I was thinking about bidding but in the end decided it was a bit too far away to worth worrying about for me.
I'm picking up the Blackbird tonight. The seller has brought it up from Ulladulla to his son's place at Nowra which is less than an hour for me. Very helpful guy.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:34 am

Found this Apollo IV on ebay down in Melbourne -

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/332576855841?ul_noapp=true

Its got some sweet Gran Compe centre pull brakes on it.

Unfortunately the seller wont ship to Qld or I would be all over it :(

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:11 am

^ If only there was some place where people with similar interests could come together to help you out...

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:07 pm

feelthewheel wrote:... my ability to send PM's has completely ceased ages ago - they just won't leave my outbox (Mods - any views on this?). It's one of the reasons by I haven't been active for a while. However if you could send me a PM I can see if that would work. Cheers!
I tried sending you a PM, but it sits in my outbox, which indicates that you haven't read it, perhaps because you are unable to read it. You may want to check your inbox & sent messages folders - if either is full, that may be preventing further messages being sent or received.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:52 pm

Tall Pinarello frame in QLD: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PINARELLO-t ... 0011.m1850

Haven't seen many vintage Pinarellos this size - needs some love, but I don't think it's too far gone. May have been re-decal'd at some stage. I think it's a higher model than a Treviso - the internal brake cabling and lack of chainstay bridge give that away. Most likely a Montello, falling somewhere between '85 and '87...call it '86! The SL sticker is a bit confusing, (Montellos were typically SLX) but as I say, may have been re-stickered...although the bottom bracket looks a bit different to the usual Montello 'winged' job, so it may be SL.

metalrideroz

Postby metalrideroz » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:12 pm

Pity I'm on the wrong side of the continent, cool bitsa mongoose with canti mounts, triple crank ,bar ends,
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mongoose-Bi ... SwEsRazr~3

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:01 pm

"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:22 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Someone rescue this poor lo pro https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bracken ... 1181223678
Is it just me, or does it look like it's had a frontal impact...?
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:29 pm

I hadn't noticed til you mentioned it, but those forks do look suspiciously straight...
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

uart

Postby uart » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:44 pm

ldrcycles wrote:I hadn't noticed til you mentioned it, but those forks do look suspiciously straight...
It might just be the geometry. On most bikes (particularly with a head tube that short) you'd get a kink in the upper part of the down tube with any frontal impact that was enough to bend the forks.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:47 pm

Tange 900? Could it be something like a Ricardo Windcheater? If it is, then I'd say that has been front ended.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri May 11, 2018 3:55 pm

Antique Bicycle
Somewhat optimistic pricing. Incredible level of detail outlining the story of this important piece of our history - or not. Some people..... :roll:
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri May 11, 2018 4:20 pm

bychosis wrote:Antique Bicycle
Somewhat optimistic pricing. Incredible level of detail outlining the story of this important piece of our history - or not. Some people..... :roll:
Puts in the same effort for a $2,500 guitar ...

darkhorse75

Postby darkhorse75 » Sat May 12, 2018 12:01 pm

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat May 12, 2018 1:42 pm

Top of the line bike, with top of the line photography too.

feelthewheel

Postby feelthewheel » Wed May 16, 2018 4:09 pm

Might be worth a look for Brisbane forumites:

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/brisban ... 1184230542