Shogun Appreciation Society

Garethbmw

Re: Shogun Appreciation Society

Postby Garethbmw » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:54 pm

Hello just found a sport tangaloy on side or road has shimano 105 running gear frame in good condition pulled down really well minimum rust . New to forum any hints on new shimano groupset to install etc would be very helpful I am good on tools rebuilt many motorcycles. Understand frame low in pecking order but building on budget so will clean and rebuild parts
thanks

Burnsy

Postby Burnsy » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:33 pm

Just scored 1989 Shogun Lightweight Bicycles Catalog (Roadbikes). Who is the custodian of the other catalogs in the dropbox folder? If you send me your email I will scan it to pdf so you can upload it with the others. Confirms that the Ninja was Tange Prestige at that stage (Japanese build) :)

Sc7

Postby Sc7 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:35 am

Hey guys,

Wondering if someone might be able to help me ID an ollllld Shogun if possible?

Woke up this morning to the news some b-tard had cut my lock and nicked it out of my backyard :'(

Black and red one in the following....not the greatest images sorry :(

http://imgur.com/a/62Cwy

http://imgur.com/WJ2naV7

Burnsy

Postby Burnsy » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:01 pm

Here is the good oil for those who have been waiting, I must say I was pretty excited when this along with some other period catalogues and mags arrived in the mail, Apollo anyone?? :)

I have as pdf as well if whoever owns the dropbox with the other years in it would like them to add to the collection.

Burnsy

Postby Burnsy » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:47 pm

Finally had the new decals for my Ninja cut, although it's a 91, I designed up decals based on the 89 as they were not only easier but are more suited to the non fluoro paint job. All built with Shimano Tri color except brake levers, rolling on Wolber TX profile rims with 105 rear hub and campag front. Lovely to ride and weighs in under 10kg. Just waiting for a set of Tange 1 stickers to finish it off.
Before

After

koshari

Postby koshari » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:11 pm

that has come up a treat burnsy, groat choice of colour.

Garethbmw

Postby Garethbmw » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:14 pm

Very nice who did decals do you have any shogun decal to sell

Burnsy

Postby Burnsy » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:23 pm

Garethbmw wrote:Very nice who did decals do you have any shogun decal to sell
I drew them up then had them cut. I have spares in the chrome and can do them for $25 a set posted with a chain stay protector. No other colours as that is what I bought, the Shogun decal is the same height as original but not as long, headtube is based on the 89 catalog one. Basically I can send you an exact set of what you see here, no other colours or modifications available. They are individual cut letters (same as originals were) not a transfer of the whole thing.

Burnsy

Postby Burnsy » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:26 pm

koshari wrote:that has come up a treat burnsy, groat choice of colour.
Thanks mate, I like it, it is just an off the shelf powdercoat colour and is so close to the original blue it is uncanny. For $80 blasted and coated you can't go wrong :)

koshari

Postby koshari » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:06 am

that is a good deal, do they do all the prep?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:21 am

Indeed it is a good deal - do you have a name & location ?

Burnsy

Postby Burnsy » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:01 pm

koshari wrote:that is a good deal, do they do all the prep?
Yes, hand them old frame and forks, they blast then coat, one of the off the shelf colours at that price, about twice that for a metalic. They are well regarded in Perth for poweder coating bike frames. Southside Powdercoaters in O'Connor WA. Reckon it would have cost me that in paint, thinners and consumables to do it myself.

koshari

Postby koshari » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:05 am

cheers burnsy, unfortunately just a little out of my way :-(

xargon

Postby xargon » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:26 pm

Wow heaps of nice shoguns in here. I went to get back into cycling at the end of last year after a few years break (wore out all my old bikes among other things). I went to go buy some new giant thing from the store but everyone was out of stock for large size frames in my area and I was debating with myself about spending $1200 on a new bike. Talking to the guys at the shop about my cycling history I remembered how fond I was of my old shogun mtb, so the search began.

I wanted a new steel roadie and was lucky enough to grab this Shogun Samurai. Condition is excellent for a 30yo bike (almost no rust yay, decals mostly intact), full 105 groupset. I'm just missing the brake lever hoods. I've seen a few other guys do yellow bar tape, yellow saddle and yellow tires on these coloured frames and they look pretty cool, I might do that when the tires need replacing.

I was also after a purple Shogun mtb similar to my old one. I picked up this 1996 Trailbreaker 3 from ebay in decent condition (frame was excellent but a lot of parts needed to be adjusted. The front derailuer didn't clear the large chain ring properly and needed to be lifted 2mm higher on the frame, the whole bike felt like it was never assembled properly which is probably why it has had little use). All original components including the Shimano Alivio shifters and rear derailuer and the front one is STX.

Both bikes feel great to ride. It was heaps of fun hunting ebay and gumtree for the Shoguns I was after. It was just as much fun to strip them, clean, regrease and re-assemble them. They both feel like they have many years left in them and cost a fraction of the price of a new one from the shops :).

koshari

Postby koshari » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:05 am

nice pair of bikes, they definitely complement each other.

uart

Postby uart » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:27 pm

Yeah, great condition on that Samurai for the age. :D

They're always an interesting look with that "triple triangle" design, but can anyone remember the stated rational behind that design?

scp

Postby scp » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:08 pm

This came home with me today. Not sure if my wife was as impressed as I was. It might just fit me, but I'm pretty short. I'll at least use it as some servicing practice and decide whether to keep it or move it on. It's very original and has been well looked after.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:34 pm

uart wrote:Yeah, great condition on that Samurai for the age. :D

They're always an interesting look with that "triple triangle" design, but can anyone remember the stated rational behind that design?
Supposedly a smoother ride as rear wheel forces are transmitted into the top tube instead of the seat cluster. Science? I dunno...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

uart

Postby uart » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:13 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Supposedly a smoother ride as rear wheel forces are transmitted into the top tube instead of the seat cluster. Science? I dunno...
Thanks Bill, I knew there would be an "official" benefit of having it. You know however that the reality for most of those things was more like the following. ;)

- You line up on the starting line and see the bloke next to you has something that you don't. Hmm, what's that you think?

- Then at the end of the race he beats you because he just happens to be a better rider, but all you can think is: "What chance did I have? That lowdown cheatin' barstool had 50% more triangles than me". Then after the race you rush out and buy one. :D

Chapwilliams

Postby Chapwilliams » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:39 pm

Does anyone know anything about the metro range of shoguns? I've seen quite a few different models, so far the best seems to be "metro GS" with alivio gear. They're quite popular around my university it seems

Mickey1980

Postby Mickey1980 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:10 pm

Dear fellow forum members. Could you please help me to check whether the bike in the link below is a genuine Shogun samurai?

Thanks in advance!

Please view this ad:

SHOGUN 700C RACINGBIKE,
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/belmont/ ... pp_android

Price: $70

Download the application from the Google Play Store.
http://goo.gl/7NzhP

uart

Postby uart » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:41 am

Mickey1980 wrote:Dear fellow forum members. Could you please help me to check whether the bike in the link below is a genuine Shogun samurai?
Yes I'd say 100% certain. It looks identical to mine (as originally purchased). I have since replaced the brifters with down tube levers and the saddle and a couple of other minor changes, but otherwise identical.

Last edited by uart on Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mickey1980

Postby Mickey1980 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:51 am

uart wrote:
Yes I'd say 100% certain. It looks identical to mine (as originally purchased). I have since replaced the brifters with down tube levers and the saddle and a couple of other minor changes, but otherwise identical.

Thanks for the feedback.
Worth the try?

uart

Postby uart » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:20 pm

Mickey1980 wrote: Thanks for the feedback. Worth the try?
Hi Mickey. I see that's it's now sold. Did you buy it?

Sorry if the point is now moot as it's sold. But yeah it was probably quite a reasonable buy at that price. Nothing to get overly excited about though (or overly disappointed if you missed it). It's a 90's model that dates to after production shifted to Taiwan. I don't think that these TIG welded in Taiwan ones are near as desirable as the earlier lugged tube Japanese made models.

Having said that, I'm quite happy with how mine rides. It's a nice comfortable ride and handles fairly well.

BTW. Can someone please let me know if my picture above (my previous post) is visible to them? I've been having a few issues with linking pictures from Google Photos recently, and some of my earlier images of this bike went missing.

xargon

Postby xargon » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:11 pm

I can see your bike buddy, looks good I like the contrast between the frame colour and bar tape, I'm guessing it was originally black bar tape?