Shogun Appreciation Society

minhyy

Re: Shogun Appreciation Society

Postby minhyy » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:13 am

uart wrote:
minhyy wrote:90s welded cro-mo Samurai running a mix of 105, 400ex, RX100, Cyclone. Reliable commuter

it's not a commuter without ugly flat pedals :wink:
This is from earlier (pg 19) in this thread, originally posted by minhhy in 2013. Apart from the addition of the mudguards and the ugly pedals, this one is absolutely identical to mine. Ok mine looks to be a one or two cm larger frame size, but apart from that it's identical down to every last decal.

I wonder if minhyy still has this old shogun or if he knows anything about it's age?
Hi Uart

The Samurai now belongs to a mate who also uses it as a commuter.

Its original spec was 7-speed Shimano RSX STI levers, and the rest of the groupset was Exage 400ex. One exemption is the crankset: an unremarkable unbranded likely Taiwanese OEM.

Interestingly, the frame is spaced at 130mm with vertical dropouts, yet the original hubset was HG50 / Exage that had a 7-speed freehub, but its OLD was 130mm. Hence my upgrade to 8-speed.

Based on the RSX spec, our Shoguns are later than at least 1995-1996. Taiwanese made, welded frames ubiquitous by this point in time.

https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/2 ... -dec-2013/
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

miyoshi

Postby miyoshi » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:58 pm

I didn't realise the team issues had become so valuable recently lol

View item $1200!

Maybe someone will finally be interested in producing the full sticker set which I already have the designs for..

uart

Postby uart » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:30 pm

miyoshi wrote:I didn't realise the team issues had become so valuable recently lol

View item $1200!
Well let's see if someone actually buys it at the price before concluding that it is its value. :)
Still, it's a nice looking bike though.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:30 pm

uart wrote:
miyoshi wrote:I didn't realise the team issues had become so valuable recently lol

View item $1200!
Well let's see if someone actually buys it at the price before concluding that it is its value. :)
Still, it's a nice looking bike though.
Yeah what uart said. Can ask $1200, may not get $1200. I predict that ad will be floating around at various prices for a while. Is a lovely bike though.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:41 pm

Isn’t that the shogun that’s been listed at that price for years?

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:50 pm

find_bruce wrote:Isn’t that the shogun that’s been listed at that price for years?
ha, thought I'd seen it before.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:59 am

Heya peoples!

Picked up a Shogun trailbreaker 1 over the weekend, anyone know what diameter seatpost it should hold?

The current one in their is a 25.0 and feels rather loose!

any info would be much appreciated!

jase

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:38 pm

jaseyjase wrote:Heya peoples!

Picked up a Shogun trailbreaker 1 over the weekend, anyone know what diameter seatpost it should hold?

The current one in their is a 25.0 and feels rather loose!

any info would be much appreciated!

jase
I bought a 27.0 for mine, and it is too big. (I could get it in far enough, with a lot of effort, but it's not quite right.)

I think that it's meant to be a 26.8, but I've never actually been able to confirm that.

If yours is a good seatpost otherwise, you could possibly just shim it to fit.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:00 pm

There was a bit of mucking around with Shogun frames from late 80s yo early 90s and I've had 25.4 for some of the 4130 frames and 26.6 or 26.8 for others (roadies). I think yours may be a 25.4 if it's around 90-92 and 350mm long....I think.

brokenbus

Postby brokenbus » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:36 pm

Trail breaker 3 has a 26.8 post.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:29 am

cheers fellas, as i suspected. Looks like the previous owner put a 25 and squashed the binder area :(

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:20 am

Put this together to put around on with the kids, my parts bin TB1

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:35 pm

Gave away a Trailbreaker just the other day.
https://m.facebook.com/BitsaBikesWA/pho ... &source=48

Eug1

Postby Eug1 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:34 pm

Hi all, first time poster here. I've been lurking the thread for a few weeks now as I recently acquired a Shogun Katana. The serial number on the bottom reads SKA U60805785 , so i gather it's a mid 90's number? 1996? Anyway, it seems in great to mint condition with seemingly all original parts (Live Chin handlebar, Lee Chi calipers, Sun Rim Z-19 rims, Shimano Exage 300 groupset)except for the seat which is a San Marco B Gel.
Stickers state 41-30 Cr-Mo tubing on frame and forks. I've had to replace the tyres and tubes as they'd perished, and new cables as well.
I've been commuting for years on a flat bar hybrid, so I'm pretty happy with my 'new' road bike.
Cheers

uart

Postby uart » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:52 pm

Eug1 wrote:Hi all, first time poster here. I've been lurking the thread for a few weeks now as I recently acquired a Shogun Katana. The serial number on the bottom reads SKA U60805785 , so i gather it's a mid 90's number? 1996? Anyway, it seems in great to mint condition with seemingly all original parts (Live Chin handlebar, Lee Chi calipers, Sun Rim Z-19 rims, Shimano Exage 300 groupset)except for the seat which is a San Marco B Gel.
Stickers state 41-30 Cr-Mo tubing on frame and forks. I've had to replace the tyres and tubes as they'd perished, and new cables as well.
I've been commuting for years on a flat bar hybrid, so I'm pretty happy with my 'new' road bike.
Cheers
Hi Eug. You can link photos if upload them to any of a number of image hosting sites like Imgur or Flickr or Google Photos etc.

Your serial number is quite close to that of my old Samurai. U6081....

Eug1

Postby Eug1 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:27 pm

Hi Uart, thanks for the tips regarding photos. I'll get some up soon, with as much detail as I can. Cheers

Eug1

Postby Eug1 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:56 am

Hi all,

Trying to upload/link from Google photos, is this visible to anybody else?
Cheers, Eug

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:09 pm

Eug1 wrote:Hi all,

Cheers, Eug
Nice Katana Eug, you didn't get it quite right. For google you need to get the url for the image itself, ie

Eug1

Postby Eug1 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:28 pm

find_bruce wrote:

Cheers, Eug
Nice Katana Eug, you didn't get it quite right. For google you need to get the url for the image itself, ie
Thanks for that. I thought I'd followed instructions to the letter :(

Would you be able to pm me with instructions how you did that? I'm only working of my phone, do I need desktop? Thanks

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:30 pm

Eug1 wrote:Would you be able to pm me with instructions how you did that? I'm only working of my phone, do I need desktop? Thanks
I can't do it using my iphone, but on a desktop its a simple matter of right clicking on the image & copying the image url

uart

Postby uart » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:00 am

Eug1 wrote:
find_bruce wrote:

Cheers, Eug

First let me say, very nice looking Katana. It looks to be in excellent condition too, a very nice score. :)

Re posting the image, I've only ever done it from my PC so I can't comment on the iphone part. On the PC just make sure that you have the image in a shared folder on google photos (*and* that you are viewing it from within that shared folder), then click on the image so that you get like a full sized view, then right hand click and select "copy image location". Then paste that image location between the img tags in your post and you're done.

BTW. The forum always re-sizes images to somewhat smallish as it makes threads easier to navigate (avoids horizontal scrolling for typical screen resolutions). Trust me, this is a good thing! If however you want to see more detail then simply right hand click the image in the forum and select something like "view image" or "open image in new tab" (depending on what browser you're using) and you will see a larger image. Try it on the images above and you will see that the one I linked (here in this post) has slightly more resolution because I maximized it before doing the "copy image location".

Eug1

Postby Eug1 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:42 am

uart wrote:
Burnsy wrote: Just date yours off the Shimano components, it is unlikely the cranks or brakes have been changed so they will be accurate to the frame date.
Brakes are no name, cranks aren't shimano either (looks like they are stamped either tracer (or trafer?).

I'll take a good look later today, but I don't think this thing has any shimano components except for the brifters and the F/R derailleurs. Is there usually a date code on the derailleurs?
Somebody posted a link that helps date parts. My front Shimano derailleur was manufactured April '96. Amazing!
Unfortunately I can't remember exactly where in the forums it was. Maybe here in Shogun, or in retro/vintage section?
And I also have no name brakes and 'Tracer' cranks (for now).

uart

Postby uart » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:52 pm

Eug1 wrote:Somebody posted a link that helps date parts. My front Shimano derailleur was manufactured April '96. Amazing!
Unfortunately I can't remember exactly where in the forums it was. Maybe here in Shogun, or in retro/vintage section?
And I also have no name brakes and 'Tracer' cranks (for now).
That's interesting. My Shogun Samurai has the same "Tracer" cranks, and that was a brand that I'd never heard of at the time.

BTW, I tried replacing them with some vintage Shimano 600 cranks that I had, but they sat deeper onto the taper and didn't give enough clearance. I ended up just putting the Tracers back on as I was too lazy to replace the spindle at the time.

Eug1

Postby Eug1 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:24 pm

Finally got around to taking some more pics while out on a ride today. I'm open to comments or suggestions, as I'd like to upgrade the brakes (which are pretty poor, at best) and eventually the groupset to a contemporary Shimano 105. I'm not too sure about the processes involved, but part of the reason for getting the bike was to learn about the mechanical side of things.

Cheers,
Eugene

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:45 pm

Eug1 wrote:Finally got around to taking some more pics while out on a ride today.
Sorry Eugene your pics aren't showing for me - are they set to private ?