Re: Shogun Appreciation Society

Postby Eug1 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:19 am

?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:34 pm

Eug1 wrote:
?
Getting close Eugene. Go to the album you listed https://photos.app.goo.gl/kYRMBciiWYkJJaxL9, select a photo, right click on the image & paste it in the image tags.

Eug1

Postby Eug1 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:44 pm

Trying again

mgnovenie

Postby mgnovenie » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:54 pm

Does anyone know what the hierarchy for Shogun mountain bikes was?

My understanding was that from lowest to highest was:
Ground Breaker
Trail Breaker
Prairie Breaker.

Where does a slick rock fit in?

But then I discovered there was a Prairie Breaker Pro and Expert...but then I recall seeing a Trail Breaker Pro somewhere on the internet.

am50em

Postby am50em » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:19 pm

I posted this link a few years ago - 1999 catalog
http://members.optuszoo.com.au/~am50em/ ... etails.pdf

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:32 pm

mgnovenie wrote:Does anyone know what the hierarchy for Shogun mountain bikes was?

My understanding was that from lowest to highest was:
Ground Breaker
Trail Breaker
Prairie Breaker.

Where does a slick rock fit in?

But then I discovered there was a Prairie Breaker Pro and Expert...but then I recall seeing a Trail Breaker Pro somewhere on the internet.
My perspective on this was that they were different models, not necessarily comparable. So the Trail Breaker 3 was a step below the Trail Breaker 2 which was a step down from the TB1 etc. The Priairie Breaker 3 was a step down from Prairie Breaker 2 and so on and so on, so in that sense they were a bit different to the roadies Katana - Ninja - Samurai equation.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:03 pm

Like all these things model comparisons vary year to year. Eg in 1989 it went
Prairie Breaker Team Issue -XT drivetrain, double butted chromoly
Prairie Breaker Pro - Deore drivetrain, double butted chromoly
Ground Breaker expert - LX drivertrain,double butted chromoly
Ground Breaker - Exage "mountain" drivetrain, chromoly
Trail Breaker 3 - Exage "trail" drivetrain, chromoly frame triangle & fork
Trail Breaker 2 - Exage "country" drivetrain, tangaloy frame triangle & fork
Trail Breaker 1 SIS drivetrain, tangaloy frame triangle & fork

By 1992 they added Prairie Breaker XTR at the top end, Ground Breaker expert replaced by Prairie Breaker Exptert & dropped the other Ground Breaker.

1996 only Prairie Breaker was the expert, added Trail Breaker 4 & Ltd

Slick rock LX (Deore LX), STX (STX) & Expert (Acera) turned up by 1998 which were alloy frames

xargon

Postby xargon » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:19 pm

Shogun Prairie Breaker PRO 1988:

Been working on this off & on for a few weekends now. Most of my time was spent chiseling/grinding rust off everything. Once rust was removed and treated, I covered the exposed spots on the frame with clear nail polish to keep it original and protected. Front deraileur was upgraded, other than that I think it is mostly original. Pretty happy with it I haven't seen many of these around :D

Lots of paint missing from the bottom of the frame, lots of work with the dremel and rustbuster cleaning it all up:

*sorry about the dark photos I was running out of daylight!

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:33 pm

Cheap Katana in Newtown: https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/newtown ... 1714_18314

I'd grab that for a wet weather commuter if it was in Melbourne...and I was a few inches taller.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:00 pm

Not quite on theme but...
Seeing the MTB in the post above, I have for quite a while been trying to track down one of the road-bike versions of a Shogun with a cross frame like that MTB (in my size). Trouble is working out what you are searching for. Does anybody have a list of the road models and years that were built with the cross frame so at least I get a chance with the search engine :P

Richard

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:01 pm

WyvernRH wrote:Not quite on theme but...
Seeing the MTB in the post above, I have for quite a while been trying to track down one of the road-bike versions of a Shogun with a cross frame like that MTB (in my size). Trouble is working out what you are searching for. Does anybody have a list of the road models and years that were built with the cross frame so at least I get a chance with the search engine :P

Richard
from memory, Shogun released the road triple-triangle frames in late '86 for the 1987 model year, and I vaguely recall it being restricted to upper-end models like the Samurai. I think the first series were Tange2 or Tange5 and mostly Shimano 600. Quite rare. I think they continued into '88 but not sure after that, am working from memory.

Eug1

Postby Eug1 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:27 pm

Richard
I did see a frame for sale fairly recently on Facebook market place. Just had a search but now gone. Can't remember size, but they were asking $500 and were in St Kilda. Good luck with the search, they do look great.

uart

Postby uart » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:35 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote: from memory, Shogun released the road triple-triangle frames in late '86 for the 1987 model year, and I vaguely recall it being restricted to upper-end models like the Samurai.
Yep, you're looking for a late 80's Katana or Samurai.

xargon

Postby xargon » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:48 am

Richard
I have one, theres a pic of it on the bottom of page 36 on this thread. Mines the '87, full shimano 105 and infinity tubing. Really really nice bike to ride. As someone above as said, they were late 80's and are quite rare but they do come up. If anyone is looking for older bikes I have found this website an invaluable resource in tracking down desirable shoguns - http://findabike.com.au/. Just type in the brand in the search field (shogun) and away you go, I used it to track down everything I had on my want list. I had to check it everyday for 2 years to find the two triple triangle frames I have, and even then I still had to have some luck to get them as well, I have seen the bulk of them sell within less than an hour once listed, good luck.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:11 am

Scored a survivor Trail Breaker last night, filthy but extremely sound. Had it apart last night, no rust at all, anywhere. Rides brilliantly, even with canti's. Was thinking some mini-V brakes and some slick road rubber, but am re-thinking this..and the person I bought it for now says she prefers a roadie. FML right?

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:47 pm

I do like refurbishing Shogun Trail Breakers https://www.facebook.com/BitsaBikesWA/p ... 25/?type=3

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:13 pm

twowheels wrote:I do like refurbishing Shogun Trail Breakers ....
Same, I think they make excellent tough inner-city commuter bikes. And for some reason, they age a lot better than others of that era..have done a bunch of them over the years. Usually just a refurb and swap to V brakes (or mini V) and road-friendly Schwalbes and sell it on. They usually get snapped up.

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:47 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:
Same, I think they make excellent tough inner-city commuter bikes. And for some reason, they age a lot better than others of that era..have done a bunch of them over the years. Usually just a refurb and swap to V brakes (or mini V) and road-friendly Schwalbes and sell it on. They usually get snapped up.
I don't sell, I give them away to people who are homeless.

Flash5500

Postby Flash5500 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:59 pm

Hi Shogunites,
Have acquired this resprayed ShogunTeam Issue, trying to Id it’s build year.
Features:
Brake cable guides under top tube
Rear spacing currently 128
Pump peg on head tube
Serial number S115229
27.2 seatpost

Hoping someone can confirm or point me in the right direction.
Apologies to all Shogun purists also, obviously not as good as original but a pretty good job has been done on it.
Thanks

Flash5500

Postby Flash5500 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:01 pm

Think that’s better.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:52 pm

Flash5500 wrote:Image

Think that’s better.
Much, looks good. Its very hard to narrow a production frame down to a year after it's been resprayed - steel frames didn't change that much year to year - its usually the paint, stickers & parts that give an approximate date

pedalleur

Postby pedalleur » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:26 am

The first bike i collected for free was a Shogun trail breaker {coz some asshat flogged my roadie} it had some broken rear spokes and the gears were out of whack, waited untill i collected more freebies to use for parts, now it's a fully blown hobby

pedalleur

Postby pedalleur » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:36 am

10speedsemiracer wrote:
Once i fixed up the Trail breaker 1 I didn't really want to part with it, but a fella advertised his Cannondale roadie wanting to swap it for a mountain bike, the trailer breaker 1 isn't really classed as that, yeah? but i put my tender in and sent off some photos, he chose mine out of all the other inquiries, best deal ever 8)

Eug1

Postby Eug1 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:20 am

Richard
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3838089096

Too small for me, but might be what you've been looking for?

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:18 pm

Eug1 wrote:

Richard
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3838089096

Too small for me, but might be what you've been looking for?
Thanks for the heads up but sadly too small for me also.

Richard