Alcon Cycles Malvern Star and Lionel Cox

cludence

Alcon Cycles Malvern Star and Lionel Cox

Postby cludence » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:41 pm

I came across the following flyers this evening. Given the recent passing of Lionel and the lack of information of Alcone Cycles I thought this may be of interest.
Lionel also rode for Malvern Star and I am sure there were others that I am not aware of. (I am simply sorting through papers.)

Karen.

bigfriendlyvegan

Re: Alcon Cycles Malvern Star and Lionel Cox

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:59 am

Thanks for sharing this with the world Karen. Keep 'em coming.

You will note that the booklet talks about the interest shown in cycle racing in Australia and the exacting quality of Australian made cycles. How far we have fallen!

David

john symonds

Postby john symonds » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:14 pm

karen if you want more info on alcone get onto carl wilson as he and myself worked for bill connaly back in about 1963 at alcone and mybe see dick paris JOHN SYMONDS

cludence

Postby cludence » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:41 pm

Hi John,

Great to see you on the forum. I see Carl from time to time when I stop in the shop but I have never asked him about Alcon bikes. It's a shame there are not many images of them.

Your name rings a bell. Do you get to the reunions?

Karen.

john symonds

Postby john symonds » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:57 am

karen i.m going on 63 if you want to brain wash me please call johnsymonds@shoal.net.au p.s carl made one of his track frames at alcon in about 1963 he had a minnie cooper then

kathy

Postby kathy » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:36 pm

Hello, My first time on this forum, Just to answer about Alcon Cycles. Alcon Cycles was owned by my uncle
Alvia Connolly, hence the name Alcon As a young girl I was often at his bike workshop in Marrickville with my
father Ron Connolly. I can remember my Uncle Alvia making a cycle cart which was pulled along by his Great Dane dog. Uncle Alvia always covered in grease. I also remember vaguely posters of Lionel Cox in his workshop. I also thought he
made bikes for Russell Mockridge. My brother & I had custom madeAlcon bikes when we were very young.
Interestin to find about this when I was just trawlling through the Internet & Googling stuff.
Thanks...Kathy

john symonds

Postby john symonds » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:12 pm

from memory bill had a shop down at cooma he drove hjs old v8 ford customlime own there at alcon he also did lawnmower reairs l used to mend his singles for the shop also karen what club did you ride for regards john ymonds

cludence

Postby cludence » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:26 am

Hi John,

I didnt ride for a club. I am just into the history and restoration side of bikes.

Cheers,

Karen.

Kid_Carbine

Postby Kid_Carbine » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:52 pm

It's interesting to note that this thread started with Lionel Cox on an ALCONE bike, yet the bulk of the posts are discussing ALCON [without the 'E'] bikes.
Even the title of the thread refers to ALCON & not ALCONE.

Clearly there is some connection, but perhaps someone could enlighten us on what it may be.
Carbine & SJH cycles, & Quicksilver BMX
Now that's AUSTRALIAN to the core.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:02 pm

Kid_Carbine wrote:Image

It's interesting to note that this thread started with Lionel Cox on an ALCONE bike, yet the bulk of the posts are discussing ALCON [without the 'E'] bikes.
Even the title of the thread refers to ALCON & not ALCONE.

Clearly there is some connection, but perhaps someone could enlighten us on what it may be.
It might just be a typo. You'll notice that the word "Olympic" is spelled "Olypmic" on the flyer. Obviously there was no copy control on that particular document. The niece of the Alcon guy has indicated where the name came from and the scanned flyer indicates that Alcone cycles can be purchased at Alcon cycle works, so adding the 'e' to the end of it could just be a marketing ploy. Alcone sounds like cyclone? Alcone could be pronounced Al-con-ay to make it sound more Italian?

Just thinking out loud.
David

cludence

Postby cludence » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:30 am

Looking at the top advert you will notice it referred to as "Alcone racing cycle" and the business as "Alcon Cycle Works". Maybe the bikes had the E on the end? I have not seen a Alcone Bike so am unsure if this is the case.

I do know there was Super Alcyon at Chippendale and from what I have been told, the builder of these frames once worked at Alcon Cycle Works. -Was the name copied? Was it an agreement between the two to use a slightly different name? I dont know. John S do you know?

There was also Super Alcyon up Coffs Harbour way. They were built in Chippendale and sold up at Coffs as the two parties were good friends.

Aside from this I dont know any more but will keep asking around.

Cheers,

Karen.

Saro28

Postby Saro28 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:36 pm

This is an Alcone I have. Unsure of anything apart from the transfers, no idea of tubes but 10kg is respectable for its time I guess. 56 sq, front hub is 1978 (or 76?) if my eyes are seeing correctly. RD has VIA 'CD', FD is Campagnalo 'CS' nxt to cable clamp nut, not sure of year date for these yet

Cinelli stem and Giro D'Italia bars

all Campagnalo F/R

R Connolly
Last edited by Saro28 on Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fight till the end n never give up. Cadel Evans 2012

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:12 pm

mmmm. very tasty looking bike... looks soooo clean! I like it!

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:48 pm

Saro28 wrote:This is an Alcone I have. Unsure of anything apart from the transfers, no idea of tubes but 10kg is respectable for its time I guess.
That's one neat and tidy bike Andy. :)

What brand of brakes are those?

Saro28

Postby Saro28 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:31 pm

Dia- compe, Gran Compe on quick release mech' and blocks. Nothing on the levers :!:
Fight till the end n never give up. Cadel Evans 2012

Kid_Carbine

Postby Kid_Carbine » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:43 pm

Unless I have forgotten everything that I should have learned at school, Campione del Mondo translates to something like 'Champion of the World'

If it sells bikes then it's a good model name.

It looks really good & is another great example of a largely forgotten AUSSIE brand.
Carbine & SJH cycles, & Quicksilver BMX
Now that's AUSTRALIAN to the core.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:36 pm

Kid_Carbine wrote: If it sells bikes then it's a good model name.

It looks really good & is another great example of a largely forgotten AUSSIE brand.
Marketing is a funny thing. I had a frame that was covered in Italian stickering, much like the Alcone, but it was made in South Africa. Likewise my Nishiki, while it is Japanese made, is actually an American brand. The name was chosen to sound Japanese, which in the late 70s, early 80s, was perceived to mean quality, but not actually mean anything.

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:33 pm

Thats a nice frame but it looks to be made after Alcon finished up, so Alcon its not. What that Alcone is I dont know . I do like the way Malvern Star use the advertising to convience you that their bike is best whilst claiming the same records as Alcon list.... Id believe the Alcon one and suggest the Malvern Star one is somewhat misleading (I realise they are quoting the riders records but it insinuates that he was on a Malvern Star)

cludence

Postby cludence » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:50 pm

I disagree Torana. If you look on the top tube it has conolly's name. So if made after the shop closed, it was someone who still had decals...

Karen.

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:03 pm

cludence wrote:I disagree Torana. If you look on the top tube it has conolly's name. So if made after the shop closed, it was someone who still had decals...

Karen.
I dont have that pickie :( it may be a conlloy but I dont believe its an Alcon (if you know what I mean) they closed in '74 and to me that looks newer, it doesnt have the usual paint or lining but it may have been made that way to appear "modern" or "european" , wouldnt be the first timeI was wrong though....

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:19 pm

Torana68 wrote: I dont have that pickie
try right mouse clicking on the image with part of the name, then select 'view image' and you see the full name on the top tube.
The OP has also given the name in the caption to the image.

hoarder

Postby hoarder » Wed May 09, 2012 8:14 pm

Old thread, but I'll join in. Some of you here may know me as woftam through the bmx forums. Hi Chris :mrgreen:
I have just been given up what appears to be a 1940's Alcone track bike, pretty much intact but the wheels are shot... it is in need of some loving and I am in need of information. Everything I read says they are Aussie bikes, but on the b/b of mine is says British made, I cant make out the numbers yet as the paint is a bit flakey. It looks to have been ornately painted at one stage of its life, sadly faded now though. As I'm a newb and this is my first post I wont put up photo's 'till I'm approved by mods

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Wed May 09, 2012 9:26 pm

hoarder wrote: Everything I read says they are Aussie bikes, but on the b/b of mine is says British made, I cant make out the numbers yet as the paint is a bit flakey. It looks to have been ornately painted at one stage of its life, sadly faded now though. As I'm a newb and this is my first post I wont put up photo's 'till I'm approved by mods
or you could give a link to photobucket :D the BB is English made and the "made in England" appears on probably every Oz bike till the mid 1960' s

hoarder

Postby hoarder » Wed May 09, 2012 9:34 pm

Ahh - that explains that...

Here is some pics...

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Wed May 09, 2012 10:47 pm

neat! an Alcone by Alcon! but Id suggest its a fixed/single speed road frame, going off the photos , looks pretty relaxed and long. :D