Repco Appreciation Society

munga

Re: Repco Appreciation Society

Postby munga » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:48 pm

in the meantime, what's the model, and what colour is it?

mitchj

Postby mitchj » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:21 pm

A few posts ago, I put up some pics of a 1993 Repco "Cross Tracks XT 2", looking for some info on it. No luck there it seems, but I re-built it with some other bits, & here it is-

I ended up using the 700c wheels, bars, shifter/brake units, seat & cranks/chain rings from a 2006 ladies Trek I had hanging up, & some Welgo alloy pedals off an old BMX. I replaced the cranks/chain rings because the centre chain ring was completely worn out, & one of the BB bearings had failed & completely ground out the axle, but I happened to have a correct length sealed BB that I used. Its got 35mm off road tyres, the 7 speed indexed shifting is really good, & it's really quiet & comfortable to ride. A quick 7km ride along the Ral Ral creek today was good, so tomorrow I'm riding it for my regular Sunday 30 km MTB ride with the gang, so we'll see how the old steely goes amongst all the flash alloy bikes!

savvysteve3

Postby savvysteve3 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:06 pm

Hi I'm new to this Forum.

I have a Repco Olympic 14 that I've had since near new (late 80's I think) and it has been sitting in my garage untouched since 2005. (under cover so it is in good condition. Only small surface scratches and some oxidization). Before that I did a few (for me) serious rides of a bit under 100K but mostly just rode it locally for a lot less K's to keep fit. I'm in the process of carefully restoring it by taking it apart and carefully cleaning every part and re-assembling it. Although I have purchased and fitted different pedals I still have the original ones. The only thing I have replaced are the brake lever hoods and unfortunately I couldn't seem to get a match so I'm not really happy with the ones I've got (so any help on getting ones that are a legitimate replacement??)
Of course I have fitted new tyres / tubes and am attempting to fit new gear and brake cables as well as new handle bar tape.

I would have posted a photo of it at it's current state of restoration but I can't see anywhere where I can upload a photo, and it is looking very pretty!!

I'd like to get some advice on the brake lever hoods and "is there a correct way of installing the new cables?" I know there are plenty of tutorials about new cables / new handle bar tape installs, etc. but this is a geriatric model and it may be different, so I thought I'd ask before plunging in.

My background - I'm actually a reasonably keen mountain biker who goes MBing in the Blue Mountains and a few other places every Saturday with my 2 adult sons and brother-in-law and as we come from a BMX background (back to when it started - 1980) and we haven't attempted clip in pedals. We also don't just do fire trails or pretty flow tracks, we love "the rougher the better" while not being too silly about it. So I have'nt practiced with clip-in pedals so that might be fun.

AHWOOD

Postby AHWOOD » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:28 pm

Hey everyone, this is my Repco Vertex aluminum. I inherited the bike from my mother's uncle and don't know much about it.

So far I've put on new tires, bar tape and changed the gear and brake cables...

I'm wanting to get some more information on the bike if anyone knows anything that would be great. Is this thing worth anything?

https://dcvlbq.dm2301.livefilestore.com ... pmode=none

AHWOOD

Few more images of my bike

Postby AHWOOD » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:34 pm

Can anyone tell me more about this thing?

NASHIE

Re: Few more images of my bike

Postby NASHIE » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:46 pm

AHWOOD wrote:Can anyone tell me more about this thing?

Nice frame, don't think Repco made theses frames, just branded off as. They are Japans copy of the French Vitus frames. Google sr sakae litage should give you all the info you need.

koshari

Postby koshari » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:47 pm

picked up a hard rubbish traveller on the weekend, was going to leave it as i was out riding when i found it but given it was just missing a seat and post and had flat tires it was easy enough to steer home with one hand on the bars i was riding and another on the stem of the pickup, fortunately there was a southern star round the corner from our place which was happy to give up its seatpost and seat for the traveller.

she is no swan but hey who couldn’t do with another repco.....

koshari

Postby koshari » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:46 pm

Clydesdale Scot wrote:for future use so they are available after the ebay images are eventually removed.
Nice effort scotty, pity now photobucket is no good for hosting.

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:34 pm

koshari wrote:
Clydesdale Scot wrote:for future use so they are available after the ebay images are eventually removed.
Nice effort scotty, pity now photobucket is no good for hosting.
It was posted on 26/8/16, just before photorustbucket demanded payment or blocked it.

Read it on how to fix it in Do NOT use Photobucket thread.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

AHWOOD

Postby AHWOOD » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:15 pm

NASHIE wrote:

Nice frame, don't think Repco made theses frames, just branded off as. They are Japans copy of the French Vitus frames. Google sr sakae litage should give you all the info you need.

Definitely looks that way, thanks for the information.

koshari

Postby koshari » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:40 pm

Bunged Knee wrote:
koshari wrote:
It was posted on 26/8/16, just before photorustbucket demanded payment or blocked it.

Read it on how to fix it in Do NOT use Photobucket thread.
good work BK :-)

barefeet

Postby barefeet » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:50 pm

G'day!

It's a little out of the superlite/olympic/tri-A vibe of the thread, but I've recently picked up what I believe to be a late 70's mid-range Repco, which I'm aspiring to turn into an overnight camping bike. Based on the catalogues at bloggingadeadhorse it has a lot in common with the '81/'82 Monaco and Le Mans, and this particular Suntour derailleur system was introduced in '78, so I'm pretty sure it's from that window - if anyone can confirm or deny my suspicions I'd be interested to know.

While it's light enough for me, the steel is 1020 rather than cro-mo, so I'm viewing this as skill acquisition rather than necessarily a forever ride, but the rust is surface and if it fails it ought not to do so catastrophically. Images are here if you'd like to have a peek.

uart

Postby uart » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:41 pm

barefeet wrote:It's a little out of the superlite/olympic/tri-A vibe of the thread, but I've recently picked up what I believe to be a late 70's mid-range Repco, which I'm aspiring to turn into an overnight camping bike. Based on the catalogues at bloggingadeadhorse it has a lot in common with the '81/'82 Monaco and Le Mans, and this particular Suntour derailleur system was introduced in '78, so I'm pretty sure it's from that window - if anyone can confirm or deny my suspicions I'd be interested to know.
It looks in pretty good condition for the age barefeet. Not sure about that early vintage, but in the late 80's version the Monaco was pretty similar to the Superlite, but with a 1020 "Hi ten" main triangle instead of 4130 CrMo.
While it's light enough for me, the steel is 1020 rather than cro-mo, so I'm viewing this as skill acquisition rather than necessarily a forever ride, but the rust is surface and if it fails it ought not to do so catastrophically. Images are here if you'd like to have a peek.
What are the rims barefeet, are they alloy or steel?

Also, it doesn't look 10 speed any more. What happened to the original cranks and chainrings?

barefeet

Postby barefeet » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:18 pm

uart wrote:What are the rims barefeet, are they alloy or steel?

Also, it doesn't look 10 speed any more. What happened to the original cranks and chainrings?
The previous owner had decided it worked better as a back-brake-only 5-speed, so removed those components - I've got the original derailleur (SunTour Cyclone) and front brake apparatus (Shimano Tourney) in a bag but, alas, the chainring appears to have gone west. Given that the bike was apparently (allegedly?) the owner's commuter for twenty years or so I can only imagine the rear cassette (which looks to be in good nick) is a replacement for worn parts. The cranks and chainring match the one visible on the kids '81/'82 model, but at a 57cm seat tube, the frame would surely be much too tall for a child.

The rims are chromed steel, which has come up very nicely with a quick wipe-down.

Editing in a link to the finished steed, which has taken on the nickname Bob Brown. Skills I've begun learning include but are not limited to: wrapping bar tape, installing brake cables, overhauling hubs, and truing wheels.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:08 pm

barefeet wrote:The previous owner had decided it worked better as a back-brake-only 5-speed, so removed those components
Nothing wrong with a 1x. 8)

Equip_Pro2

Postby Equip_Pro2 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:34 pm

Can anyone tell me more about this thing?

It is a nice bike, top of the Repco range in 1989 and 1990. The one you have is a 1990, let me know if you every decide to move it on.

Tam

Postby Tam » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:17 pm

Hi all,

Does anyone own an XS 19” repco Eurosport ? Short rider here. Basically the smallest they came in according to the online catalogues. Other sizes they came in are 21 23 and 25”, If you do can u be kind enough to post a photo of it? A close shot of the lugs near the headset is would be good. I’m chasing one and want more photos as reference.

Thank you tam

TopSide

Postby TopSide » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:45 am

Sakae Litage.

Re-branded by many different companies around the world.

GWH74

Postby GWH74 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:09 pm

Our little holiday project.
Picked up off the side of the road as the owner was wheeling it out to the verge. A little rough but it is all original (except tires and 3 cable ferrules) .
Oh, those seats were are uncomfortable.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:31 pm

GWH74 wrote:Our little holiday project.
Picked up off the side of the road as the owner was wheeling it out to the verge. A little rough but it is all original (except tires and 3 cable ferrules) .
Nice
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

koshari

Postby koshari » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:28 am

GWH74 wrote:Our little holiday project.
parrot paint scheme still very vivid, 100 complete, pity about the size but hey if your on the small side thats a real gem. that could be the kerbside find of the month. not often are they riders from the word go.

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:38 pm

I just bought this Olympic 14 mainly because of the wonderful condition. Am quite surprised it has a braze-on front derailleur hanger. Nice components as well. There is a decal warning that sunlight will fade the fluorescent colours. The yellow and pink has faded but the blue is still quite vibrant. Sold by a Bait Tackle and Sports shop.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:22 pm

That's beautiful. I've always had a soft spot for the Exage stuff, seems to just work. Not fancy, but also doesn't break. Yours is beautiful, good pick up.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:48 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:That's beautiful. I've always had a soft spot for the Exage stuff, seems to just work. Not fancy, but also doesn't break. Yours is beautiful, good pick up.
Thanks. The gun metal color of the group also gets my vote.

Treadly Tim

Re: Repco Appreciation Society purple superlite...

Postby Treadly Tim » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:51 pm

Axel_83 wrote:Hey Guys. Picked up this purple beast today. A Repco Superlite. Can anyone shed some light on its vintage? I'm thinking early 90's? It's got Exage 300 group with biopace cranks.

[insta]https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ7h7SmDfgU ... X2CrdBAg0/?[/insta]

[Admin says - image is broken]
Hello everyone, I have owned a purple superlite for about 14 years now. Legend has it this cycle was once raced in a Sun Tour by the gent I purchased it from, needs a re paint soon, but still rides beautifully, nice 60kmh road bike. The frame No. is P3J50098 It's a TIG welded chrome moly main tube type like a few others have mentioned. Stainless spokes, black araya rims. 14 speed.

[shareyoutube][https://youtu.be/k-qL1W0KxvY]