HEALING frame number registry

bowlsclubboy

Re: HEALING frame number registry

Postby bowlsclubboy » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:08 pm

Any clues guys? Pulled it out of a local tip about 20 years ago as a bare frame.

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:34 pm

Possibly late 1940's. Someone has gone to a lot of trouble! Those arrow heads could be purchased as a separate item to be brazed onto frames. In this case added to the lugs. Educated guess, it was made in Adelaide.

bowlsclubboy

Postby bowlsclubboy » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:41 pm

Hard to see under the paint, but made in England stamped on the bottom. I'd guessed late 40s from looking at other frames. its very light also.

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:08 pm

The 'Made in England' cast into the BB shell just means that the shell was made in England. These BB shells are common to many bikes, including a lot of Malvern Stars, which causes lots of confusion. Yes, this would be light, a high end frame, someone's pride and joy, and expensive at the time.

feelthewheel

Postby feelthewheel » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:29 am

Very nice frame, great save. However you might want to take the forks to a frame builder for repair, as they look to have taken a frontal hit at some point - that tucked-in angle just doesn't look correct. Last thing you want is them failing underneath you when riding! Perhaps check the top and down-tubes as well?

timf

Postby timf » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:08 pm

Hi,
I have a Healing bike, frame number 12945, that my grandfather acquired at a garage sale about 30 years ago. Unfortunately the original paintwork was gone before he acquired it, but it has the distinctive brazed-on 'H' head tube, and decorative lugs that don't seem to match the shape of any others I've seen browsing through this thread.

Some photos (and a work-in-progress story about the bike) at this link >> http://pedallingstories.blogspot.com.au ... ation.html

Cheers
Tim

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:17 pm

The 'keyhole' lugs would suggest this is a mid to late 1930's build. Say 1936 to 1939.
The different serial number on the forks would suggest that these are not the original forks. The number on the steerer tube is usually the same as on the frame, or an abbreviated version of it, say the last three or four digits. A nice frame, with a good back story.

timf

Postby timf » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:47 pm

Thanks for your insights bicyclepassion.

Cheers
Tim

tricky kid

Postby tricky kid » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:48 pm

Hi there i have a HEALING girls bike just wanted to know age/price here is a bit about the bike
under seat no... 45236
under crank... 846

cranks made in england UTLTY

hubs PERRY made in england

brake PERRY made in england

its in ok condition ...........

any info would be great thanks

River

Postby River » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:44 pm

Hi, I have an old Healing women's bike with the number 46759 under the seat and under the crank 851. I have had it for over 40 years and am about to have it restored to its former glory. Can anyone give me an idea when it was made ?

Kerry-Anne

Postby Kerry-Anne » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:54 pm

Hi i bought an old complete healing bike that was completely rusty which i have restored trying to keep it original. The wheels were completed rusted out and i had to paint it as paint was barely visible. The number near the pedals is -113 and on the seat stock is x 19299. I hope someone maybe able to give me some information on this bike. As i said i have replaced wheels and am currently restoring mudguards and handlebars.

Kerry-Anne

Postby Kerry-Anne » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:05 pm

Hi i would like to post some pictures of the healing bike i have restored if someone could help me on how to do this it would be appreciated
Thanks

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:50 pm

welcome Kerry-Anne. You will need to have them uploaded to a hosting site like Photobucket or Flickr
then when they are uploaded you link them. This is how I do it.

uart

Postby uart » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:54 pm

Kerry-Anne wrote:Hi i would like to post some pictures of the healing bike i have restored if someone could help me on how to do this it would be appreciated
Thanks
Also Kerry, I'm not totally certain, but I think you may need to make a small minimum number of posts before the forum will let you post a link. A lot of forums do this to reduce spam.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:05 pm

no min posts anymore, plenty have had photos on their first post.

200bpm

Postby 200bpm » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:06 pm

Hi I bought my Healing off zbey, with house paint and cracked rear brake bridge. I've welded the bridge and many hours of wet & dry and painted with spray cans (about 10 coats in all). My rego no is 6040 stamped on seat post lug. It's a very light frame and has a chrome "H" on steering tube. This rego seems outside of range of others- any ideas why? Paul

River

Postby River » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:31 pm

I have just had my old Healing restored and Chris and his team from https://www.cycloretro.com/ have done an amazing job...totally restored it to it's former glory . I am so happy with it and can't thank them enough .
Not sure how to post photos on here as I would like to show a before and after photo. ( The frame number is 46759 and on the crank 851.

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:27 pm

First addition to this thread for over a year and looking through the posts it further enforced to me what a loss to researchers the photobucket decision was.

The serial number of this one is 57263
Bolt on seat stays. Lucznik rear hub.
Still some chrome showing on the head tube H.
Unknown year.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:16 pm

Lots of steel bikes wrote:First addition to this thread for over a year and looking through the posts it further enforced to me what a loss to researchers the photobucket decision was.
Threads are a bit like bikes - bit of a polish & they are as good as new. :)

RickAndre55

Postby RickAndre55 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:36 pm

Inspired by a bit of activity on the topic, here is an update on the frame/bike in my post back in 2013 on page 2 of this topic.

I just got my frame back. Painted by Kevin Wigham, pinstriping by Ken Dickie, decals from Cyclomondo (based on artwork that I did from scans of the originals). The decals are now available from Cyclomondo.

The main colour is a really rich metallic magenta - the image doesn't do it justice.

Larks

Re: You beauty - let everyone see what you've got!

Postby Larks » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:36 am

Hi all need a little help identifying a Healing I found in back of fathers shed, seems to have original paint and in ridable condition. I was wondering on year and value? Can anyone help?

Gordon1

Postby Gordon1 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:12 pm

Larks wrote:Hi all need a little help identifying a Healing I found in back of fathers shed, seems to have original paint and in ridable condition. I was wondering on year and value? Can anyone help?
C'mon Larks, I'm going to save someone else the hassle. I won't post pictures here but in order for any detailed information we need pictures, frame number and location, parts on it, wheel size etc etc. I mean look at the thread heading. Serial number is in it and you haven't mentioned it. By the way I have two pieces of string, could you tell how long each one is, but also which I'm holding in my left hand...hint they aren't the same size. Yes I'm being obnoxious.

Now seriously.

If you are hoping for a valuation so it can be listed on eBay members here who spend a lot of time helping others and sharing knowledge take a dim view on these sorts of questions. They are also a little more polite than me. Have a look at the various posts and general vibe to get an idea.

If you are looking to restore a family bike here is the place, if looking to make a buck, at least offer it to others here.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:55 pm

Gordon1 wrote:I mean look at the thread heading. Serial number is in it and you haven't mentioned it.
[Mod Says]To be fair to Larks he posted in a different thread however I moved it to this one as more appropriate.[/Mod]

Welcome outside Larks, you may want to read Welcome Retro Riders... Please Read First as it gives some background to the points Gordon1 makes, in particular
Mulger bill wrote:Words and Photos: If you want a question answered or show what you have, please have both words and photos. Both are important.
If it is a question about a frame, look for any frame numbers and give it as well as where it is found on the frame.
Valuations: Members are not in a position to put a value on bikes or components. The market (ie ebay or Gumtree or the BNA Marketplace) is the best for that. It really depends on matching the buyers wants, after taking into account location and the condition. If you look like you are trying to get background to prepare an advert, don’t be surprised if there are few responses.
Components such as Williams cranks often have a date code that can assist with dating, assuming they are original

Gordon1

Postby Gordon1 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:40 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Gordon1 wrote:I mean look at the thread heading. Serial number is in it and you haven't mentioned it.
[Mod Says]To be fair to Larks he posted in a different thread however I moved it to this one as more appropriate.[/Mod]

Welcome outside Larks, you may want to read Welcome Retro Riders... Please Read First as it gives some background to the points Gordon1 makes, in particular
Mulger bill wrote:Words and Photos: If you want a question answered or show what you have, please have both words and photos. Both are important.
If it is a question about a frame, look for any frame numbers and give it as well as where it is found on the frame.
Valuations: Members are not in a position to put a value on bikes or components. The market (ie ebay or Gumtree or the BNA Marketplace) is the best for that. It really depends on matching the buyers wants, after taking into account location and the condition. If you look like you are trying to get background to prepare an advert, don’t be surprised if there are few responses.
Components such as Williams cranks often have a date code that can assist with dating, assuming they are original
Fair call moderator. I didn't know it was moved.

I've had a bex and a lay down.

Unfortunately we are still a long way from finding out whether Larks has a gem, his surname may be Mockridge or a complete dud that he believes is worth thousands.

Oh the thankless job of moderating. Now I know why I generally keep away from contributing. Keep up the great work (and I mean that sincerely).

time4healing

Postby time4healing » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:18 pm

Hi all, glad to have found the forum.
I have a Healing I bought online back in 2001. The seller said it was a 1939. It has been repainted, hand painted script on down tube, brazed on H, and the serial number is on the bottom of the bottom bracket - 22976. I don't know what the fork is, but don't believe it's original. The rims (sew-up) match, but the rear hub is alloy and the front is chromed steel 3-piece. The seatpost looks new, chromed steel tube and the saddle could be original - Norex mod. 39. Frame has stamped brake bridge, track dropouts, oil port on bottom bracket. It has a Williams crank that came with a 44 tooth chainring for 1/8" chain. I put a 26t skiptooth ring on it for 5/16" chain. The cog on the rear is 17t 5/16 not skip tooth. It acme with a short chrome steel (fairly new and cheap quality) and a new 39cm wide standard road drops. I just threw a Cinelli track stem on it and a set of track bars. Shot a couple of pics in the living room a short bit ago. I'll post to flickr…..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/14865847@ ... ed-public/

The one I took of the side w/chainring and bars didn't turn out so I didn't add.
I guess you could just go to one url and go forward or back to check my pics.

Any thoughts on this bike?

Anybody have an idea what model/year this is? I'd like to finish it and take it tour new velodrome in Detroit.