Serial numbers for Hoffy Cycles

koen

Re: Serial numbers for Hoffy Cycles

Postby koen » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:42 pm

Yes it is cold here in Stanthorpe but the gloomy damp of late is the problem. The humidity causes a clouding on the clear coat in particular. But the sun just peeped out...hope rises the weather will change. :-)

smartnup

Postby smartnup » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:28 pm

I would like to thank you gbannerman for "photographing the Hoffy Cycles order book that Eric Hendren has lent me" posting this info.
I had a road frame made for me in 1980.
I found my entry in your book extracts and it has the number 1103 and Hoffy under the bottom bracket.
I still have it today in complete original condition fitted out with Shimano 600 brakes and gear.
It originally was in black with my name on it but I had Eric repaint it red the next year, and without my name.

koen

Postby koen » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:21 pm

Just interested to find out any more information on Hoffy history.
A friend has asked me to help him with restoring his dad's old bike bought in the late 1940s from Hoffy. Bought to ride to work, so not a race bike. 3 number serial number ( don't have the bike with me) and repainted with an Eric Hendren decal. It is a 27" roadster, horizontal rear dropouts with some old zeus gears from the '70s. I think we will work towards making it mostly 60s and 70s gear.

When did Hoffy Cycles open up for business? Anyone know? Thanks

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:31 pm

koen wrote:Just interested to find out any more information on Hoffy history.

When did Hoffy Cycles open up for business? Anyone know? Thanks
Why not google it to find out?
Hoffy Cycles—a history of great bike service
When he first opened the doors to Hoffy Cycles in 1928, original owner Bill Hoffman had no idea his business would go on to be such an enduring and much-loved endeavour.
Read more in link.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

koen

Postby koen » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:59 am

Thanks for the reminder on google, it always brings up some interesting stuff...the great interview with Eric that I had not got around to watching.
I guess I was more interested in early serial number stuff but maybe too obscure back that far for a small local manufacturer. I was interested to hear in the interview that Eric did start work back during ww2 so outside chance he have even made this frame.
It has serial number 226 on fork and 2261 on top of seat tube above rear stay.
My friend wants me to repaint before the build so I will post some pics as we go.

koen

Postby koen » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:06 pm

Here is a portion of a great old photo I lifted out of the video interview with Eric Hendren. I will use it as some kind of guide for the paintwork.
I hope its okay to lift it without permission

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun May 27, 2018 9:49 am

Picked up a Hoffy Road Frame yesterday with the serial number 3746. It will be built up in the years ahead. It has down tube shifters and came with just about all of the bolt on parts for the build. :D No picks because this site does my head in for posting pics now. :(

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

FixyFix

Postby FixyFix » Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:49 am

Hi Guys, New to the group. A HOFFY I have owned for some time needing help to identify its year of manufacture.
It is Stamped HOFFY and Number 2132

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:45 pm

There is some records of serial numbers and the year that they were made here some where but I can't remember the name that it's under. :oops:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:31 pm

There are some photos of an order book here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/gbannerma ... 720213929/

Unfortunately stops well short of 2132 and there are no dates anyway.

Imwit

Postby Imwit » Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:39 pm

I reckon post up some photos of the actual bike and the collective knowledge should be able to give an approximate date